PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Installing Hard Drive into 7XRVP

Double-T
May 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I know enough about motherboards and hardware to get myself into
trouble, so I thought I would ask first. I think that one of my two HDs is
dying, and I want to install another as a backup. I installed a DVD+RW into
this system myself, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process.

I have a 7VRXP Rev. 1.1. It has two 80GB HD in Raid 0. My IDE channels
are as follows:

IDE 1: CD-RW (Primary Master)
DVD-ROM (Primary Slave)

IDE 2: DVD+RW (Secondary Master)
OPEN (Secondary Slave)

IDE 3: 80GB HD (Raid 0)

IDE 4: 80GB HD (Raid 0)

I plan on buying a large (80-160 GB) HD with 8MB cache, 7200rpm, ATA
133. My questions are as follows:

1) Should I connect the new HD to IDE 2 as Secondary Slave? or
2) Can I connect it to one of the space connectors on the IDE 3 or 4 cable
(as the slave, I guess), or would this mess up my RAID setup?
3) The manual says I should connect the first HD to IDE 1, but since I have
a RAID setup and this will not be my main (boot) drive, I don't know if this
matters.
4) When I do install it, do I need to make and changes to the BIOS, or will
it detect and setup the new drive on it's own.
5) Any other tips or things I should know before proceeding?

I know this seems like a lot of questions, I'm just looking for answers
so I don't screw up the system I'm trying to salvage.

Thanks All

Double-T
May 2nd 04, 05:13 PM
One footnote... the drive I plan to buy is ATA 100 - not ATA 133 (Seagate
80GB) $49.99 after rebate this week at Best Buy.

om...