PDA

View Full Version : GA-7N400-L will not work in automatic clk setting

Walt E
May 1st 04, 11:42 PM
my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

henny
May 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
Great idea
power down and unplug from the wall
now set the ratio switches to 10.5.
power up and re-set up the BIOS
read the manual
HG

"Walt E" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
after
> getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
3000+
> proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
> proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
soyo
> kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

Dimitris
May 2nd 04, 05:02 AM
"Walt E" > wrote in message et>...
> my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
> getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
> proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
> proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
> kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them.

Update the mobo bios, then try again with auto clk. By the way, Athlon
XP 3000+ has 333Mhz FSB, the 3200+ has 400Mhz FSB.

jpsga
May 2nd 04, 11:27 AM
For some reason, Dimitris, there are two models of the 3000XP. The part
nmber ending in E allows a FSB of 400mHz.
JS

"Dimitris" > wrote in message
m...
> "Walt E" > wrote in message
et>...
> > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
after
> > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
3000+
> > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
the
> > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
soyo
> > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them.
>
> Update the mobo bios, then try again with auto clk. By the way, Athlon
> XP 3000+ has 333Mhz FSB, the 3200+ has 400Mhz FSB.

Dimitris
May 2nd 04, 04:49 PM
"jpsga" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s03>...
> For some reason, Dimitris, there are two models of the 3000XP. The part
> nmber ending in E allows a FSB of 400mHz.
> JS
>
> > Update the mobo bios, then try again with auto clk. By the way, Athlon
> > XP 3000+ has 333Mhz FSB, the 3200+ has 400Mhz FSB.

Ok, ok i wasnt aware of that CPU. Maybe his mobo doesnt support 400Mhz
FSB CPU, only memory ddr400.

Dimitris
May 2nd 04, 04:50 PM
"Walt E" > wrote in message et>...
> my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
> getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
> proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
> proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
> kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

Go and take a look at the bios update page.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7N400-L.htm.
It mentions an issue where it couldnt boot with kingston 400/433 DDR
though yours are crucial they might be affected by this issue also.

fredrickson
May 2nd 04, 05:38 PM
"Dimitris" > wrote in message
m...
> "Walt E" > wrote in message
et>...
> > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
after
> > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
3000+
> > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
the
> > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
soyo
> > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

See if it boots with one stick of ram

Walt E
May 2nd 04, 10:13 PM
this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
a 333Mhz fsb

"Dimitris" > wrote in message
m...
> "Walt E" > wrote in message
et>...
> > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
after
> > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
3000+
> > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
the
> > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
soyo
> > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them.
>
> Update the mobo bios, then try again with auto clk. By the way, Athlon
> XP 3000+ has 333Mhz FSB, the 3200+ has 400Mhz FSB.

Walt E
May 2nd 04, 11:00 PM
well, that did't work. i powered down set the ratio_sw to 10.5 left the
clk_sw set to off (100mhz) rebooted, checked the bios, restarted to floppy.
powered down, set clk_sw to auto and........ does not boot ........ no beeps
....no nothing. every part on this mobo came from my soyo mobo and ran fine
at 400Mhz fsb. i am stumped!
"henny" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...
> Great idea
> power down and unplug from the wall
> now set the ratio switches to 10.5.
> power up and re-set up the BIOS
> read the manual
> HG
>
> "Walt E" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
> after
> > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
> 3000+
> > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
the
> > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
> soyo
> > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

Walt E
May 2nd 04, 11:02 PM
tried that too, same story wont boot with clk_sw set to auto.
thanks

"fredrickson" > wrote in message

> "Dimitris" > wrote in message
> m...
> > "Walt E" > wrote in message
> et>...
> > > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic.
> > > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
> after
> > > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
> 3000+
> > > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
> the
> > > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3.
mobo
> > > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from
> soyo
> > > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them
>

> See if it boots with one stick of ram

May 3rd 04, 01:19 AM
In article et>, "Walt E" > wrote:
>my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
>installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked. after
>getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
>setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon 3000+
>proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
>proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
>works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a soyo
>kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
>giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

I've built a couple systems on this board.
I liked them, but to get them stable I had to set ram timings manually. You
have to press some key combination to get the options to come up. Dig in the
manual to find it. I could not get boards stable with 400(200)mhz Ram speed
and 333(166)mhz cpu speed. The boards I had wanted ram to run syncronious with
the fsb.
3-4-3-7 timings worked for me at 333 system
3-4-4-8 worked at 400 system
I was using cheap ram in dual channel mode

Good Luck
:-) Greg B.

Dimitris
May 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
"Walt E" > wrote in message t>...
> this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
> a 333Mhz fsb

I think this confuses not only me, but your motherboard as well!. It
detects CPU 3000+ and sets a multiplier 13.0x which is normal for
(166x2)333FSB, but not for (200x2)400FSB (which is 11.0x i think)
which causes the 3000+ cpu to crash since it goes up to 200x13=2.6Ghz
instead of the 2.2Ghz which is the correct speed.

Dimitris
May 3rd 04, 05:30 AM
"Walt E" > wrote in message t>...
> this xp 3000+ DOES have a 400Mhz fsb although the other xp 3000+ does have
> a 333Mhz fsb

SO if your motherboard have switches to select multiplier, or through
bios to choose the multiplier, set it to 10.0x. Then set FSB(host)
clock to auto.

Walt E
May 3rd 04, 04:43 PM
i used the ez flash tool that came with the mobo, crossed my fingers,
grabbed a couple of rabbits feet, prayed and clicked on "update" when i shut
down after the update set the clk_sw to auto, the ratio_sw is set to auto
detect and booted up and it worked. . dont have clue as to why the flash i
did from boot disk didnt work but that is how things go i guess. THANKS TO
ALL OF YOU!!!

"Walt E" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
after
> getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
3000+
> proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial), the
> proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
soyo
> kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

jpsga
May 3rd 04, 05:10 PM
Oh Yeah .. what do ya mean it worked.
What is the Bus Speed 200mHz??
What is the multiplyer 10X?
Any Sandra numbers?

JPS

"Walt E" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> i used the ez flash tool that came with the mobo, crossed my fingers,
> grabbed a couple of rabbits feet, prayed and clicked on "update" when i
shut
> down after the update set the clk_sw to auto, the ratio_sw is set to auto
> detect and booted up and it worked. . dont have clue as to why the flash i
> did from boot disk didnt work but that is how things go i guess. THANKS TO
> ALL OF YOU!!!
>

> "Walt E" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic. i
> > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
> after
> > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
> 3000+
> > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
the
> > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3. mobo
> > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from a
> soyo
> > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

Walt E
May 4th 04, 06:44 AM
can't get sandra to benchmark (cpu doesn't show up) but the fsb is running
at 2x 200Mhz and the cpu is running at 2.11Ghz and the cpu finally shows up
as a Athlon XP 3000+ stupid bios errors - i hate stupid bios errors!

"jpsga" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s01...
> Oh Yeah .. what do ya mean it worked.
> What is the Bus Speed 200mHz??
> What is the multiplyer 10X?
> Any Sandra numbers?
>
> JPS
>
> "Walt E" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > i used the ez flash tool that came with the mobo, crossed my
fingers,
> > grabbed a couple of rabbits feet, prayed and clicked on "update" when i
> shut
> > down after the update set the clk_sw to auto, the ratio_sw is set to
auto
> > detect and booted up and it worked. . dont have clue as to why the flash
> > did from boot disk didnt work but that is how things go i guess. THANKS
> > ALL OF YOU!!!
> >

> > "Walt E" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > > my GA-7N400-L mobo will not work with the clk switch set to automatic.
> > > installed the mobo using the default settings to make sure it worked.
> > after
> > > getting win xp working and getting the mobo drivers installed i tried
> > > setting the clk switch to auto - comp will not boot. i have an athlon
> > 3000+
> > > proc (barton core, 400 mb fsb), 1 gig of pc3400 sdram (from crucial),
> the
> > > proc heatsink is amd approved to 3400+, my ram is in dimm 1 and 3.
mobo
> > > works fine with the clk switch set to 100. everything was taken from
> > soyo
> > > kt600 dragon plus that worked with a 400 mb fsb. any ideas??? the
> > > giga-byte.com site doesn't work so i can't get any help from them

Dimitris
May 4th 04, 01:44 PM
"Walt E" > wrote in message t>...
> can't get sandra to benchmark (cpu doesn't show up) but the fsb is running
> at 2x 200Mhz and the cpu is running at 2.11Ghz and the cpu finally shows up
> as a Athlon XP 3000+ stupid bios errors - i hate stupid bios errors!

Get wcpuid from www.h-oda.com and tell us the multiplier setting. I
have 3000+ 166x2=333mhz fsb and has multiplier of 13x166=2.17Ghz.
Yours should be 10.5x200=2.1Ghz

Walt E
May 5th 04, 07:46 AM
AMD Athlon XP (Model A)
Internal Clock 2104.78 MHz System Clock 200.45MHz System Bus
400.91MHz Multiplier 10.5
all settings on mobo are: CLK_SW=Auto RATIO_SW=Default (all off) Thanks
for the tip on the cpu status app!! I bid on and won an FX5900 Ultra Video
card (256Mb) (made by BFG Tech) on ebay hopefully that will improve the
video gaming over my backup vid card (a geforce 4 mx 420) - I had to use
that as my 5700 ultra bit the dust when the fan broke.

"Dimitris" > wrote in message
m...
t>...