PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the Virus posting be stopped

BH2
April 30th 04, 12:49 PM
Hi
Just wondered why can't the virus infected posting can't be stopped on this
newsgroup. They are like a pain, purporting to be some sexual deviant act
or just plain porno. All they do is spam this newsgroup
Regards
Bob

Roger Hamlett
April 30th 04, 05:07 PM
"BH2" > wrote in message
> Hi
> Just wondered why can't the virus infected posting can't be stopped on
this
> newsgroup. They are like a pain, purporting to be some sexual deviant act
> or just plain porno. All they do is spam this newsgroup
> Regards
> Bob
Understand, that 'usenet', is unmoderated, and 'open to all'. Changing this,
would involve altering the basic structure of the system, and if the risk of
stopping something that is 'legitimate', is to be avoided, would have to
involve at some point 'human' intervention, and therefore cost. The first
answer is to stop it yourself. I have not seen the posting to which you
refer. The reason, is that I seperate 'binary' from 'non binary' groups, and
any message over a small size, or containing attachments, coming to a 'non
binary' group, is simply not accepted/downloaded. I also then have a fairly
massive group of 'keywords', and use a scanning system, that classifies
incoming posts, as 'acceptable', 'possibly non-desirable', and 'goodbye'.
Your own post went into 'possibly non-desirable', because of the words
'sexual deviant'. If the posters get no response at all, they will soon get
tired of posting. The problem is that they 'feed' in some cases on the anger
they create...
Get yourself some filters, and use them.

Best Wishes

Peter Bungart
April 30th 04, 10:29 PM
Seems like its gotten so much worse just in the past couple of months...I'm
sick of it & rarely check for new posts anymore...

"Roger Hamlett" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "BH2" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> > Just wondered why can't the virus infected posting can't be stopped on
> this
> > newsgroup. They are like a pain, purporting to be some sexual deviant
act
> > or just plain porno. All they do is spam this newsgroup
> > Regards
> > Bob
> Understand, that 'usenet', is unmoderated, and 'open to all'. Changing
this,
> would involve altering the basic structure of the system, and if the risk
of
> stopping something that is 'legitimate', is to be avoided, would have to
> involve at some point 'human' intervention, and therefore cost. The first
> answer is to stop it yourself. I have not seen the posting to which you
> refer. The reason, is that I seperate 'binary' from 'non binary' groups,
and
> any message over a small size, or containing attachments, coming to a 'non
> binary' group, is simply not accepted/downloaded. I also then have a
fairly
> massive group of 'keywords', and use a scanning system, that classifies
> incoming posts, as 'acceptable', 'possibly non-desirable', and 'goodbye'.
> Your own post went into 'possibly non-desirable', because of the words
> 'sexual deviant'. If the posters get no response at all, they will soon
get
> tired of posting. The problem is that they 'feed' in some cases on the
anger
> they create...
> Get yourself some filters, and use them.
>
> Best Wishes

NuT CrAcKeR
May 3rd 04, 04:24 AM
the volume of those posts is directly related to the stupidity of users
opening attachments in email from people the dont know.

99% of those messages are generated and posted without the owner of the
computer that did the posting ever knowing about it. So, you comentary is
more aptly directed at the highest level of ignorance and internet
illiteracy that the net has ever known.

Feel free to start a campaigne to educate the masses as to the dangers of
being stupid while on the internet. If you could figure out a way to make
money doing it, you would have a paying job for all of eternity.

NuTs