PDA

View Full Version : GA-7N400 Pro2 Overheating 'The Reason'


rotor
April 29th 04, 02:51 PM
Please you lot stop going on about this boards Cpu Overheating
problems. Here is the reason why.

Gigabyte, In their infinite wisdom decided to rotate the Socket A on
the Mobo by 90%, Now if you notice what happens,your heatsink now is
also rotated 90% and the fins now instead of allowing a flow of air
from front of case, through heatsink and out of rear of case as
before, what happens now is that air flowing through case hits a dead
end causing a hot-spot around cpu. and eventual high temperatures.
A good cure for this is to use an Aero fan with a copper base to give
a good blast over the heatsink thus eliminating the problem.
Also beware of tight cases, My second machine has a pretty tight case
and I have to leave the side off in order to keep it cool otherwise
the machine shuts down regardless of how I set the temps in Bios.
Stupid idea Gigabyte! Fire the designer.

Rotor:- Helping Hands in 2004

Alien Zord
April 29th 04, 03:29 PM
"rotor" > wrote in message
...
> Please you lot stop going on about this boards Cpu Overheating
> problems. Here is the reason why.
>
> Gigabyte, In their infinite wisdom decided to rotate the Socket A on
> the Mobo by 90%, Now if you notice what happens,your heatsink now is
> also rotated 90% and the fins now instead of allowing a flow of air
> from front of case, through heatsink and out of rear of case as
> before, what happens now is that air flowing through case hits a dead
> end causing a hot-spot around cpu. and eventual high temperatures.
> A good cure for this is to use an Aero fan with a copper base to give
> a good blast over the heatsink thus eliminating the problem.
> Also beware of tight cases, My second machine has a pretty tight case
> and I have to leave the side off in order to keep it cool otherwise
> the machine shuts down regardless of how I set the temps in Bios.
> Stupid idea Gigabyte! Fire the designer.
>
>
I have quite a collection of heat sinks here, some have the vanes parallel
to the latch, some perpendicular and some in every direction (round heat
sinks). Makes non-sense of your reasoning.
I've had boards here that did run CPUs hotter than others and I suspect that
its because they supplied the CPU with higher supply voltages than they said
they did. Unfortunately I have yet to see a motherboard with a test point
for Vcore so that one could easily attach a DMM to check. I don't trust the
on-board sensors as they are often clearly inaccurate.

rotor
April 30th 04, 01:15 AM
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:29:23 +0100, "Alien Zord"
> wrote:

>"rotor" > wrote in message
...
>> Please you lot stop going on about this boards Cpu Overheating
>> problems. Here is the reason why.
>>
>> Gigabyte, In their infinite wisdom decided to rotate the Socket A on
>> the Mobo by 90%, Now if you notice what happens,your heatsink now is
>> also rotated 90% and the fins now instead of allowing a flow of air
>> from front of case, through heatsink and out of rear of case as
>> before, what happens now is that air flowing through case hits a dead
>> end causing a hot-spot around cpu. and eventual high temperatures.
>> A good cure for this is to use an Aero fan with a copper base to give
>> a good blast over the heatsink thus eliminating the problem.
>> Also beware of tight cases, My second machine has a pretty tight case
>> and I have to leave the side off in order to keep it cool otherwise
>> the machine shuts down regardless of how I set the temps in Bios.
>> Stupid idea Gigabyte! Fire the designer.
>>
>>
>I have quite a collection of heat sinks here, some have the vanes parallel
>to the latch, some perpendicular and some in every direction (round heat
>sinks). Makes non-sense of your reasoning.
>I've had boards here that did run CPUs hotter than others and I suspect that
>its because they supplied the CPU with higher supply voltages than they said
>they did. Unfortunately I have yet to see a motherboard with a test point
>for Vcore so that one could easily attach a DMM to check. I don't trust the
>on-board sensors as they are often clearly inaccurate.
>
>I can only quote from my findings, as I've used quite a few of these motherboards in the past couple of months and the cpu overheating prob is very prelevent
using normal heatsink/fan assy that is supplied with the chip.
rather than buy boxed units I now go for oem cpu and go for heatsink
of my choice depending on the case that I happen to buy, Or rather
that is available at the time.
As I build machines with gaming and video work in mind the cpu's get
worked to the max and the temps are then most noticable.
Obviously Ticking over in windows the machines are fine and run quite
reasonably cool, But throw a heavy game in such as Far Cry or
Painkiller and things start hotting up and if you dont set the Bios up
to around the 80 mark you soon get the warning bleeps.
Obviously if you use round heatsinks you wont get a heat prob at all
as you will get good airflow regarless of the socket angle as there is
no back or front, every which way is fine, But due to the amount of
posts on this issue,It appears to me that Folks are using the supplied
heatsink which is not good with this particular board.
I'm soon upgrading to 64bit,Then we'll have some fun picking that to
bits!!

Rotor.

Alien Zord
April 30th 04, 08:49 AM
"rotor" > wrote in message
...
> snip <
> rather than buy boxed units I now go for oem cpu and go for heatsink
> of my choice depending on the case that I happen to buy, Or rather
> that is available at the time.
>
>
My favourite OEM heatsink is a highly polished solid copper one similar to
this
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030113/cooler5-30.html
but without the plating and with a much bigger fan. Don't know who makes it
as I buy it from a local importer in plain brown boxes but it runs CPUs 10
degrees cooler that any other OEM sink I've had so far. Its very noisy
though so for some customers I replace the fan with a quieter one. Also
quite heavy but looks good.