PDA

View Full Version : Re: Require list of IDE controller chipsets

Nom
April 22nd 04, 10:26 AM
Piotr Makley wrote:
> kony > wrote:
>>
>> Since Maxtor doesn't make ATA controller chipsets it's going
>> to be one of the popular soft-raid controllers, probably
>> Promise Ultra100 in disguise... and yes, will work with any
>> drive.
>

> I am interested in IDE controller chipsets because I need to keep
> an eye on the model of the controllers for when I change the mobo.
>
> Seems that WinXP gets installed with a driver for only one
> particular IDE controller.

Yep. But that doesn't matter, as you should be doing a full reinstall when
changing the Motherboard anyway.

> Where can I get a list of controller chipsets used over the last
> three years or so?

For what ? As above, the full reinstall required, means it doesn't matter
what drive controller is present.

If you *REALLY* need to move an XP installation to another board, then you
need to be using Microsoft's SysPrep tool. Bear in mind you'll need to grab
an approproate INF file full of drive controller IDs, if you wanna change
drive controllers.

David B.
April 23rd 04, 03:19 AM
A full reinstall when changing motherboards is not needed or required.

"Nom" > wrote in message ...
> Yep. But that doesn't matter, as you should be doing a full reinstall when
> changing the Motherboard anyway.
>
> > Where can I get a list of controller chipsets used over the last
> > three years or so?
>
> For what ? As above, the full reinstall required, means it doesn't matter
> what drive controller is present.

Nom
April 23rd 04, 09:02 AM
Piotr Makley wrote:
> "Nom" > wrote:
>
>> Piotr Makley wrote:

>>> I am interested in IDE controller chipsets because I need to
>>> keep an eye on the model of the controllers for when I change
>>> the mobo.
>>>
>>> Seems that WinXP gets installed with a driver for only one
>>> particular IDE controller.
>>
>> Yep. But that doesn't matter, as you should be doing a full
>> reinstall when changing the Motherboard anyway.
>
> I have found that sometimes that is not necessary. In fact,
> sometimes there is almost nothing that needs doing.
>
> No point in doing a full re-install for those times.

It's good practice to.

You may run into problems further down the line, otherwise.

>>> Where can I get a list of controller chipsets used over the
>>> last three years or so?
>>
>> For what ? As above, the full reinstall required, means it
>> doesn't matter what drive controller is present.
>>
>> If you *REALLY* need to move an XP installation to another
>> board, then you need to be using Microsoft's SysPrep tool.
>> Bear in mind you'll need to grab an approproate INF file full
>> of drive controller IDs, if you wanna change drive
>> controllers.
>
> Thanks for mentioning SYSPREP. I took a look at it
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/introd
> uction.asp
>
> but the info deosn't say anything about it checking for IDE
> controller compatability between two systems.

It's an EXCELLENT tool. Do some Googling - you can use it to sort IDE
controller compatability between two systems as long as you grab an INF file
that contains a bunch of controller IDs. Search for Sysprep Inaccessible
Boot Device.