PDA

View Full Version : ATA to SATA on 8KNXP 2.0

P.B.
April 20th 04, 07:20 PM
My system:
8knxp 2.0
2 WD 80gig hard drives on ITE Raid 0
2 Highpoint Rockethead 100 ATA to SATA converters

This is more of a "Can it be easily done" type of question.

A friend of mine gave me a couple of serial ATA to Parallel ATA converters.
Using an older hard drive I tried them, and it works.

Hearing that SATA is faster than regular ATA, is it possible to easily
convert the raid 0 that I have on the ITE chipset? Or would I have to start
from scratch?

I'm happy the way things are going now, but since I have the adapters, and
since SATA is supposed to be faster, I thought I'd ask.

I'm not sure whether anyone needs any more info, but if you do, just ask.

TIA,
Pat

CrimsonLiar
April 20th 04, 07:30 PM
Yes SATA (is in theory) faster than ATA, but you are still restriced by the
slowest link in the chain, on this occasion the two Highpoint Rockethead
SATA converters. There's nothing wrong with these converters (I've had
reason to use them myself), but I think you are not going to notice any
major difference in performance between the SATA channels and the ITE
channels. Here's the big but though; I have my doubts that you would be
able to just swap the dicks over to the SATA channels, you are likly to find
that the drive translation is different and would end up having to do a
re-install.

CrimsonLiar

"P.B." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> My system:
> 8knxp 2.0
> 2 WD 80gig hard drives on ITE Raid 0
> 2 Highpoint Rockethead 100 ATA to SATA converters
>
> This is more of a "Can it be easily done" type of question.
>
> A friend of mine gave me a couple of serial ATA to Parallel ATA
converters.
> Using an older hard drive I tried them, and it works.
>
> Hearing that SATA is faster than regular ATA, is it possible to easily
> convert the raid 0 that I have on the ITE chipset? Or would I have to
start
> from scratch?
>
> I'm happy the way things are going now, but since I have the adapters, and
> since SATA is supposed to be faster, I thought I'd ask.
>
> I'm not sure whether anyone needs any more info, but if you do, just ask.
>
> TIA,
> Pat

P.B.
April 21st 04, 01:38 AM
I thought so, but I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks!