PDA

View Full Version : Re: GA-7N400V Pro2 - any good?

farmer
April 20th 04, 08:43 AM
you don't want it. This board really sucks. You have to have top grade
memory, it has trouble seeing your hard drives, and there are too many
options for setting up different hard drives, too hard to disable the ones
you don't intend to use. The drivers are a curse, if you use the ones that
come with the mboard you will never get it setup correctly. I have built
several computers and this is the first motherboard that gave me MANY
problems. I have had it for 4 months and still it is not set up correctly,
when I set the FSB to 200 it crashes xp.

"Dave LB" > wrote in message
> Is the 7N400V Pro2 any good?
>
> I want a board like the 7N400 Pro2 but also with VGA.
>
> Is the "V" version much inferior?

Dimitris
April 20th 04, 04:52 PM
"farmer" > wrote in message >...
> you don't want it. This board really sucks. You have to have top grade
> memory, it has trouble seeing your hard drives, and there are too many
> options for setting up different hard drives, too hard to disable the ones
> you don't intend to use. The drivers are a curse, if you use the ones that
> come with the mboard you will never get it setup correctly. I have built
> several computers and this is the first motherboard that gave me MANY
> problems. I have had it for 4 months and still it is not set up correctly,
> when I set the FSB to 200 it crashes xp.

if you mean 7n400pro2, i think it should be one of the best boards.
Dont blame it fron not seeing harddrives, or crashing in xp, blame
your psu instead. boards with lots of
goodies(raid,sata,lan,firewire,audio e.t.c) need good power supply
units. >=450w and a good brand(Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax maybe).
Depends on other components also.
if you tell me that asus and msi have similar boards and work better,
those are more expensive cause have better voltage regulators to
compensate for a poor to mediocre power supply unit.

jpsga
April 20th 04, 07:09 PM
Great Board ... not for armatures
The FSB runs 133*2 =266and 166*2 =333 there is *no* 200*2 =400 allowed.

Gigariad and the serial RAID ports are very fast. the network and sound are
EZ to install. Sound is flexible enough to go any where you want (6 channel
etc.)

The IGP chip is fine for most applications. If you install your own Video
card just disable the onboard AGP in BIOS.

EZ Tune is a good PC Health Viewer.

Well documented high end board.

JPS

"farmer" > wrote in message
> you don't want it. This board really sucks. You have to have top grade
> memory, it has trouble seeing your hard drives, and there are too many
> options for setting up different hard drives, too hard to disable the ones
> you don't intend to use. The drivers are a curse, if you use the ones
that
> come with the mboard you will never get it setup correctly. I have built
> several computers and this is the first motherboard that gave me MANY
> problems. I have had it for 4 months and still it is not set up correctly,
> when I set the FSB to 200 it crashes xp.
>

> "Dave LB" > wrote in message
> > Is the 7N400V Pro2 any good?
> >
> > I want a board like the 7N400 Pro2 but also with VGA.
> >
> > Is the "V" version much inferior?

Ricky
April 21st 04, 05:19 AM
Sorry, but this motherboard is crap. I have had nothing but problems with
the supplied drivers, in short they don't work. So before you can do
anything, you need to get on the web and find updated drivers.

I have also had lots of problems setting up the bios and SATA raid drives.
Even now my machine won't warm restart or close down properly, but just
hangs at the "closing down screen".

Also the bios reports my CPU running at 68 C, this seems a little high, as
it ran at 53 C in my last motherboard, and the instructions can just be put
in the bin, nothing explained properly.

Ricky
"Dimitris" > wrote in message
> "farmer" > wrote in message
> > you don't want it. This board really sucks. You have to have top grade
> > memory, it has trouble seeing your hard drives, and there are too many
> > options for setting up different hard drives, too hard to disable the
ones
> > you don't intend to use. The drivers are a curse, if you use the ones
that
> > come with the mboard you will never get it setup correctly. I have built
> > several computers and this is the first motherboard that gave me MANY
> > problems. I have had it for 4 months and still it is not set up
correctly,
> > when I set the FSB to 200 it crashes xp.
> >

> if you mean 7n400pro2, i think it should be one of the best boards.
> Dont blame it fron not seeing harddrives, or crashing in xp, blame
> your psu instead. boards with lots of
> goodies(raid,sata,lan,firewire,audio e.t.c) need good power supply
> units. >=450w and a good brand(Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax maybe).
> Depends on other components also.
> if you tell me that asus and msi have similar boards and work better,
> those are more expensive cause have better voltage regulators to
> compensate for a poor to mediocre power supply unit.

Dimitris
April 21st 04, 02:57 PM
"Ricky" > wrote in message >...
> Sorry, but this motherboard is crap. I have had nothing but problems with
> the supplied drivers, in short they don't work. So before you can do
> anything, you need to get on the web and find updated drivers.
>
> I have also had lots of problems setting up the bios and SATA raid drives.
> Even now my machine won't warm restart or close down properly, but just
> hangs at the "closing down screen".
>
> Also the bios reports my CPU running at 68 C, this seems a little high, as
> it ran at 53 C in my last motherboard, and the instructions can just be put
> in the bin, nothing explained properly.

You have got to do something with the temperature. THis also may be
the reason it doesnt behave as it should. You didnt tell me whats the
max power of your power supply unit? How many fans are there in the
tower case>

Ricky
April 21st 04, 03:25 PM
It's a 450W PSU (new), and I have 4 fans, not including fan on PSU or other
devices and it is inside a Lian Li case.

There have been some decusion about the tempature being report wrong, but
was ment to have been fixed in the latest bios, but I would not be surprised
if it is still faulty. I also took out the CPU again to make sure it was
seated properly and cleaned up and replace the heatsink compound, but it
made no difference.

Ricky
"Dimitris" > wrote in message
m...
> "Ricky" > wrote in message
> > Sorry, but this motherboard is crap. I have had nothing but problems
with
> > the supplied drivers, in short they don't work. So before you can do
> > anything, you need to get on the web and find updated drivers.
> >
> > I have also had lots of problems setting up the bios and SATA raid
drives.
> > Even now my machine won't warm restart or close down properly, but just
> > hangs at the "closing down screen".
> >
> > Also the bios reports my CPU running at 68 C, this seems a little high,
as
> > it ran at 53 C in my last motherboard, and the instructions can just be
put
> > in the bin, nothing explained properly.
> >
> You have got to do something with the temperature. THis also may be
> the reason it doesnt behave as it should. You didnt tell me whats the
> max power of your power supply unit? How many fans are there in the
> tower case>

Mike Barnard
April 21st 04, 03:46 PM
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:19:05 +0100, "Ricky"
> wrote:

>Sorry, but this motherboard is crap. I have had nothing but problems with
>the supplied drivers, in short they don't work. So before you can do
>anything, you need to get on the web and find updated drivers.

You mean you can't set it up? I have had one for 3 months now with no
problems. Gonna raid it in a couple of days, but so far, rock solid.
Using the supplied mobo drivers too.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

New.Blueyonder
April 21st 04, 07:11 PM
I've got the GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev 2. I'm using Kingston 400 Memory, XP 2800+,
Two 120mg Western Digital dives in raid 0, and it runs like a dream, I I've
also managed to overclock it to XP 3200+ sill running stable with no probs
at all. Originally I used a cheap 8 year old 4Mb PCI video card, which
caused me continues problems Once that was replaced with the Radeon 9200SE
128Mb card. I had no problems what so ever.

"farmer" > wrote in message
> you don't want it. This board really sucks. You have to have top grade
> memory, it has trouble seeing your hard drives, and there are too many
> options for setting up different hard drives, too hard to disable the ones
> you don't intend to use. The drivers are a curse, if you use the ones
that
> come with the mboard you will never get it setup correctly. I have built
> several computers and this is the first motherboard that gave me MANY
> problems. I have had it for 4 months and still it is not set up correctly,
> when I set the FSB to 200 it crashes xp.
>

> "Dave LB" > wrote in message
> > Is the 7N400V Pro2 any good?
> >
> > I want a board like the 7N400 Pro2 but also with VGA.
> >
> > Is the "V" version much inferior?

Mike Barnard
April 21st 04, 09:26 PM
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:11:08 +0100, "New.Blueyonder"
> wrote:

>I've got the GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev 2. I'm using Kingston 400 Memory, XP 2800+,
>Two 120mg Western Digital dives in raid 0, and it runs like a dream, I I've

Thank the lord for that, I've got a pair of WD 160's waiting to raid 0
too.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

balo
April 23rd 04, 10:44 PM
So this explains why my CPU temp is always above 60C even if I have good
airflow and a lot of fans !

Right now my CPU is 65C and System 44C
And I have listened to all the experts here and done it excactly what I have
been told to, there must be something wrong with the readings in the bios. I
havent tried the latest BIOS because I've heard its not stable....

I have no other problems except the high temperature readings so my guess
the mobo showing the wrong temp.

balo

"Mike Barnard" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:19:05 +0100, "Ricky"
> > wrote:
>
> >Sorry, but this motherboard is crap. I have had nothing but problems with
> >the supplied drivers, in short they don't work. So before you can do
> >anything, you need to get on the web and find updated drivers.
>
> You mean you can't set it up? I have had one for 3 months now with no
> problems. Gonna raid it in a couple of days, but so far, rock solid.
> Using the supplied mobo drivers too.
>
> --
> Regards from Mike Barnard
> South Coast, UK.
>
> [To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

toke lahti
April 26th 04, 10:49 PM
Mike Barnard wrote:
> You mean you can't set it up? I have had one for 3 months now with no
> problems. Gonna raid it in a couple of days, but so far, rock solid.
> Using the supplied mobo drivers too.

At least for me with xp if I install any realtek drivers spdif stutters
with streamed audio (or any other traffic in on board ethernet).
This happens with all bios versions.
Maybe this and problems with memory and sata is why they released
Rev 2.0 of the board. Too bad that that doesn't fix our rev1's.

--
___ / ` . Selkämerenkatu 18 A 11
_ _/______ | ` ` . ten.epa FIN-00180 Helsinki Finl

John Bissell
June 29th 04, 11:49 PM
I tried to run RAID 0 on the 7N400 Pro2 and it performed slower than
non-RAID. Also tried to use the SATA support. Worked for 3 days & then
wouldn't recognize the drives (attached w/IDE-SATA adapters). Had to move
them to RAID (now 1 since 0 was a waste), reformat, and reload. It's been
running fine for months, but certainly isn't the board I thought I was
getting.
On the plus side, it overclocked easily to 400MHz w/Crucial RAM.

--
John Bissell