PDA

View Full Version : GA-7AVXP 160GB drives...

Maxx Pollare
April 20th 04, 06:33 AM
There's a sale on here Maxtor 160GB/8MB cache Ultra ATA/133 drives and
I was thing of picking up 2 for a "data drive" set-up...

Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get past"
the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any problems,
but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.

--
Maxwell C.G. Pollare, a "small god" in his own mind...

Dimitris
April 20th 04, 05:01 PM
Maxx Pollare > wrote in message >...
> There's a sale on here Maxtor 160GB/8MB cache Ultra ATA/133 drives and
> I was thing of picking up 2 for a "data drive" set-up...
>
> Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get past"
> the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any problems,
> but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.

Well if you can see 80x2=160gb as a single drive in win98, then you
probably can see 160x2=320gb as a single drive.

Another try is that if you can fdisk it into smaller partitions<137gb
you will be able to see it. In windows 98 you are forced to fat32,
hence seeing 320gb as a single drive isnt wise, unless you will use it
for large video/dvd files.

Another puzzle is if the promise raid controller can see a single
drive bigger than 137gb.

Maxx Pollare
April 20th 04, 09:46 PM
The voice of "Dimitris" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

>> Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get
>> past" the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any
>> problems, but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.
>
> Well if you can see 80x2=160gb as a single drive in win98, then
> you probably can see 160x2=320gb as a single drive.

Actually, I looking at 160&160=160 (RAID-1)...

> Another try is that if you can fdisk it into smaller
> partitions<137gb you will be able to see it. In windows 98 you are
> forced to fat32, hence seeing 320gb as a single drive isnt wise,
> unless you will use it for large video/dvd files.

Probably...
But would it be safe to create partitions past the 137GB mark?

--
Maxwell C.G. Pollare, a "small god" in his own mind...

Dimitris
April 21st 04, 07:08 AM
Maxx Pollare > wrote in message >...
> The voice of "Dimitris" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
> from the sea of virtual chaos...
>
> >> Does anyone know if the onboard Promise RAID allows Win98 to "get
> >> past" the 137GB limit? I have run dual 80s in RAID-0 without any
> >> problems, but I'm not sure about dual 160s in RAID-1.
> >
> > Well if you can see 80x2=160gb as a single drive in win98, then
> > you probably can see 160x2=320gb as a single drive.
>
> Actually, I looking at 160&160=160 (RAID-1)...
>
> > Another try is that if you can fdisk it into smaller
> > partitions<137gb you will be able to see it. In windows 98 you are
> > forced to fat32, hence seeing 320gb as a single drive isnt wise,
> > unless you will use it for large video/dvd files.
>
> Probably...
> But would it be safe to create partitions past the 137GB mark?
I think so, especially since you will be using it in mirror mode,you
wont have any problems cause you already work successfully with
160gb(in strip mode though).