PDA

View Full Version : Faulty 7VAXP Ultra

Brian
April 19th 04, 07:50 PM
Hi,
This may be a little of topic but...... My 7VAXP Ultra went faulty and after
nearly 6 weeks the supplier has said Gigabyte are dragging they heels over
the replacement. He has gave me a DFI NF2 Ultra in its place.

Does anyone have any experience of these mobos?

I know price wise its cheaper than the gigabyte but has all the stuff I need
and too be honest it looks like a better board.

BTW My experience of Gigabytye support has been pretty terrible and well
I'll be glad to be rid of it but if anyone wants to send me a 7VAXP Ultra
(that actually works!!!) I'll happily post a comparison of the two boards.
(Go on Gigabyte, you know u want 2).

B.

Dimitris
April 20th 04, 07:13 AM
"Brian" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
> This may be a little of topic but...... My 7VAXP Ultra went faulty and after
> nearly 6 weeks the supplier has said Gigabyte are dragging they heels over
> the replacement. He has gave me a DFI NF2 Ultra in its place.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of these mobos?
>
> I know price wise its cheaper than the gigabyte but has all the stuff I need
> and too be honest it looks like a better board.
>
> BTW My experience of Gigabytye support has been pretty terrible and well
> I'll be glad to be rid of it but if anyone wants to send me a 7VAXP Ultra
> (that actually works!!!) I'll happily post a comparison of the two boards.
> (Go on Gigabyte, you know u want 2).
>
> B.
Well gigabyte support is weird, to some they answer almost immediately
while other wait for months.
Gigabyte mobos have excellent hardware but dont have regular bios
updates. If there is a bug or something else in bios, you may have to
wait up to 6-8 weeks for a new bios release. Others(Asus , msi) do
update bios almost in 1 week time after the problem has been
identified.
As for the 7vaxp ultra is excellent board, but many suffered from a
strange problem with the silicon image 3112a sata controller. Some say
it was bad silicon image chips to blame, while others that there is a
design flaw in the board. I am still trying to figure out the cause of
the sata problem, i have marked that all the guys that work with
166fsb(333ddr) dont have sata problems while others with durons or
thunderbird athlons(133fsb=266ddr) always have sata problems in raid
or base config.

Dimitris
April 20th 04, 07:17 AM
"Brian" > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
> This may be a little of topic but...... My 7VAXP Ultra went faulty and after
> nearly 6 weeks the supplier has said Gigabyte are dragging they heels over
> the replacement. He has gave me a DFI NF2 Ultra in its place.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of these mobos?
>
> I know price wise its cheaper than the gigabyte but has all the stuff I need
> and too be honest it looks like a better board.
>
> BTW My experience of Gigabytye support has been pretty terrible and well
> I'll be glad to be rid of it but if anyone wants to send me a 7VAXP Ultra
> (that actually works!!!) I'll happily post a comparison of the two boards.
> (Go on Gigabyte, you know u want 2).
>
> B.
DFI NF2 ultra should be based on nVidia's nforce 2 ultra chipset and
support dual channel ddr as well(7vaxp ultra doesnt). Theoretically it
is better than the 7vaxp ultra. However still you may have problems
with support and bios updates. DFI wont be much better than gigabyte
in this.