PDA

View Full Version : Re: Switching ON an ATX power supply (when it's not connected to mobo) ?

Paul
April 18th 04, 03:44 PM
In article >, wrote:

> Huang wrote:
>

> > Hi! does anyone here know how you can turn an ATX power supply ON when
> > it is not connected to the mobo? I remember reading somewhere that we
> > must touch (short) the blue and white wire together for a moment.....
> > And to OFF the ATX supply, we must again short the blue and white
> > wires for 3 to 5 seconds? Can anyone confirm? A perfectly functional
> > motherboard or CPU can be damaged if the 3V, 5V and 12V lines are
> > wildly off their mark and it is prudent to check the PSU out of
> > circuit before connecting.
> >
> > TIA
>
> I use one of these:
>
> http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=113+0282

If you like glowing LEDs, try one of these :-)

http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot018.htm

At least the circuit card would give you a base to connect more
load resistors if you want.

Soldering a fan to the +12V on the circuit board will also give
you a supply of cooling air to blow over the resistors. I
have some load resistors at home for testing ATX supplies and
they get pretty hot - an 80mm fan keeps them from frying. You
have to work out the ohms needed and power dissipation required
for each load you construct.

Paul