PDA

View Full Version : 8KNXP Memory Suggestions Please

Mikey Spike
April 8th 04, 02:08 AM
Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

Thanks

Stephen Williams
April 8th 04, 03:36 AM
"Mikey Spike" > wrote in message
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

> Thanks

I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
problems at all.

Steve

wayne
April 8th 04, 04:21 AM
Go with crucial they stand behind their memory and guarantee it works!

Wayne

"Stephen Williams" > wrote in message

> "Mikey Spike" > wrote in message
> > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
> >

> > Thanks
>
> I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
> problems at all.
>
> Steve

Orhan
April 8th 04, 07:40 AM
Mikey Spike > wrote in message >...
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

> Thanks

I have Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM (2x256MB) running without any problem.
They are very stable with +0.1V DIMM Overvoltage set in BIOS.

Orhan

MTech
April 8th 04, 02:16 PM
"Mikey Spike" > wrote in message
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

I bought some "cheap" kingmax from newegg this time around...USUALLY I only
run Mushkin. I am VERY impressed with the kingmax so far. It's PC3500 2.5
and I'm clocking it pretty hard right now and it's been NO
trouble........paid about 200 bucks for a gig.

dv

Dave.US
April 10th 04, 05:18 AM
Can I run memory with wider bandwidth on the 8KNXP such as PC4000? I
realize it won't do me any good on this system, but I'm considering
buying upgraded RAM so I can put it in a future system w/o
repurchasing.

Dave

Mikey Spike > wrote:

>Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
>this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
>STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
>snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
>pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
>also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

>Thanks

Tubby Canadian
April 11th 04, 10:27 AM
I've got the dual Kingston HyperX pc3200 (2x 512mb) and its runs
beautifully.

"Mikey Spike" > wrote in message
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

> Thanks

Kris Vorwerk
April 12th 04, 02:22 AM
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

I have an 8KNXP Rev 1.0. (I'm on my second -- first one got RMA'd
when it decided to die after 8 months of use.) I run OCZ PC3200 EL
Dual Channel RAM; c.f.,

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_EL_DDR_PC-3200_Dual_Channel

I have always run it with 2-6-3-2 timings, and both of my 8KNXP mobos
appeared to be quite stable with these timings. (I use a +0.1 DIMM
overvoltage setting, but have not overclocked the cpu/fsb.)

-kris

Dave.US
April 15th 04, 12:50 AM
How do you set the timings on teh 8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard? I tried
the control-F1 sequence, but it does not get me into any advanced
features in the bios settings.

Also, how do you get your PC3200 memory to run at 400 mhz? Mine shows
a 266 option and a 333 option in the bios settings.

Thanks,
Dave