PDA

View Full Version : Re: Value of integrated graphics on mobo?

Maciek K.
April 7th 04, 01:22 PM
Lem wrote:
> Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
> offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
> quality motherboard like:
>
> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)
> etc

If you need something to just show windows, it's ok, but for games, it's
a far too little. Especially when the integrated graphics is based on a
system memory, which is slower then video ram.

cheers

Gregory Toomey
April 7th 04, 03:03 PM
Maciek K. wrote:

> Lem wrote:
>> Approximately what would it cost to buy a seperate graphics card
>> offering the same sort of quality as the integrated graphics on a
>> quality motherboard like:
>>
>> Asus A7N8X-VM (nVidia)
>> Asus A7V8X-VM (Via)
>> Gigabyte 7VN400M (Via)
>> MSI-K7M2G-L (nVidia)

EPoX 8RGMI - dual head - I've just ordered one

>> etc
>
> If you need something to just show windows, it's ok, but for games, it's
> a far too little. Especially when the integrated graphics is based on a
> system memory, which is slower then video ram.
>
> cheers

Err, I doubt you have used them.

The latest ones support fast ram. For nForce, the graphics controller is
integrated into the northbridge to reduce memory latency. There is no "ram
bottleneck".

The other advantage is the nvidia linux drivers will get the graphics/sound
lan all working with a single easy driver install.

The bottom line is tht you get "useable" graphics for little more than the
cost of a regular motherboard. And you can alwys install an AGP card if you
want "state of the art".

gtoomey

Maciek K.
April 8th 04, 07:34 AM
Gregory Toomey wrote:

>>If you need something to just show windows, it's ok, but for games, it's
>>a far too little. Especially when the integrated graphics is based on a
>>system memory, which is slower then video ram.
>
> Err, I doubt you have used them.
>
> The latest ones support fast ram. For nForce, the graphics controller is
> integrated into the northbridge to reduce memory latency. There is no "ram
> bottleneck".

Yeah ;] I used the sentence : 'especially when' :]
I am using integrated one in computer at my work, at home I'm not.

> The other advantage is the nvidia linux drivers will get the graphics/sound
> lan all working with a single easy driver install.
>
> The bottom line is tht you get "useable" graphics for little more than the
> cost of a regular motherboard. And you can alwys install an AGP card if you
> want "state of the art".

True

cheers!