PDA

View Full Version : GA 8KNXP low memory bandwidth

RC
January 1st 03, 07:34 AM
I figured it out!

It was an Advanced Chipset Setting called PSB Parking. Setting it to Enabled
significantly improved my bandwidth. At 220 FSB Sandra memory score went up
to 5100.

Definitely worth trying!

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> What are you using to measure your memory bandwidth?
>
> Let me know and I'll measure mine.
>
> I have a GA-8KNXP with 2gig (4 sticks of 512meg) in a dual channel
> configuration.
> Intel 3.2Ghz cpu
>
> "RC" > wrote in message
> > Please help me diagnose performance issues with my GA 8KNXP
> >
> > My biggest issue is with memory bandwidth.
> >
> > Buffered:
> > 4894 integer
> > 4904 float
> >
> > Unbuffered:
> > 3715 integer
> > 3794 float
> >
> > I tried some new memory timing and crashed my system. Now regardless of
> FSB,
> > memory timings, or BIOS versions (F5, F6, F7E) I am unable to reach 5000
> > buffered. Before the crash I consistently timed in 5150 range. I am
> > meticulous about keeping OC parameter records and is positive that my
> system
> > is setup identically as before the crash.
> > I've been playing with this for 2 days now, but this one stomped me!
> >
> > System is rock stable.
> >
> > If you guys have any suggestions I would be grateful. I am really
> beginning
> > to regret buying this MB.
> >
> > Here are my system specs:
> >
> > Motherboard:
> > GA-8KNXP
> >
> > Memory:
> > Kingston HyperX 3500
> > CPU:P4 3.0 800MHz @ 3.3 800MHz
> > Video Card: 9800XT
> > Hard Drives: SATA RAID-0 70mb SATA BASE 80 mb
> > Temperatures: 32C @ Idle 50C @ Max Burn
> >
> > Bios: P4 3.0 BIOS
> > F6 Settings for GA-8KNKP
> > Gigabyte Logo:Disabled
> > Intel Branding:Disabled
> > AC97 Audio:Disabled
> > H/W GigaRaid:Disabled
> > On-chip SATA:Auto
> > SATA RAID Function:Disabled
> > Onboard H/W SATA:Enabled
> > Serial ATA Function:RAID
> > Onboard Giga RAID:Disabled
> > USB Mouse:Enabled
> > CPU Warning :60/140
> > CPU Fan Warning:Enabled
> > Power Fan Warning:Enabled
> > System Fan Warning:Enabled
> > CPU Smart Fan:Disabled
> > FSB:220
> > CPU Voltage:1.5625V
> > CPU Hyper Threading: Enabled
> > Memory Voltage:+.3V
> > CAS# Latency Time:2.5
> > Active Precharge Delay:5
> > DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay:3
> > DRAM RAS# Precharge:3
> > Refresh Mode Select:7.8
> > Delayed Transaction:Enabled
> > AGP Aperture Size:128
> > PSB Parking:Disabled
> > Command Per Clock (CPC):Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Fast Chip Select:Enabled:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Dynamic Paging:Auto:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Core Clock Frequency:438.75
> > Memory Clock Frequency:384.75

RC
November 12th 03, 12:57 AM
[...]

Timothy Drouillard
November 12th 03, 01:24 AM

"RC" > wrote in message
> Please help me diagnose performance issues with my GA 8KNXP
>
> My biggest issue is with memory bandwidth.
>
> Buffered:
> 4894 integer
> 4904 float
>
> Unbuffered:
> 3715 integer
> 3794 float
>
> I tried some new memory timing and crashed my system. Now regardless of
FSB,
> memory timings, or BIOS versions (F5, F6, F7E) I am unable to reach 5000
> buffered. Before the crash I consistently timed in 5150 range. I am
> meticulous about keeping OC parameter records and is positive that my
system
> is setup identically as before the crash.
> I've been playing with this for 2 days now, but this one stomped me!
>
> System is rock stable.
>
> If you guys have any suggestions I would be grateful. I am really
beginning
> to regret buying this MB.
>
> Here are my system specs:
>
> Motherboard:
> GA-8KNXP
>
> Memory:
> Kingston HyperX 3500
> CPU:P4 3.0 800MHz @ 3.3 800MHz
> Video Card: 9800XT
> Hard Drives: SATA RAID-0 70mb SATA BASE 80 mb
> Temperatures: 32C @ Idle 50C @ Max Burn
>
> Bios: P4 3.0 BIOS
> F6 Settings for GA-8KNKP
> Gigabyte Logo:Disabled
> Intel Branding:Disabled
> AC97 Audio:Disabled
> H/W GigaRaid:Disabled
> On-chip SATA:Auto
> SATA RAID Function:Disabled
> Onboard H/W SATA:Enabled
> Serial ATA Function:RAID
> Onboard Giga RAID:Disabled
> USB Mouse:Enabled
> CPU Warning :60/140
> CPU Fan Warning:Enabled
> Power Fan Warning:Enabled
> System Fan Warning:Enabled
> CPU Smart Fan:Disabled
> FSB:220
> CPU Voltage:1.5625V
> CPU Hyper Threading: Enabled
> Memory Voltage:+.3V
> CAS# Latency Time:2.5
> Active Precharge Delay:5
> DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay:3
> DRAM RAS# Precharge:3
> Refresh Mode Select:7.8
> Delayed Transaction:Enabled
> AGP Aperture Size:128
> PSB Parking:Disabled
> Command Per Clock (CPC):Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> Fast Chip Select:Enabled:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> Dynamic Paging:Auto:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> Core Clock Frequency:438.75
> Memory Clock Frequency:384.75

RC
November 12th 03, 01:29 AM
I should have included this in the original thread.

I use SISoft Sandra.

http://www.overclockedcafe.com/Sandra_standard/OCCsan2004.zip

Thanks!

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> What are you using to measure your memory bandwidth?
>
> Let me know and I'll measure mine.
>
> I have a GA-8KNXP with 2gig (4 sticks of 512meg) in a dual channel
> configuration.
> Intel 3.2Ghz cpu
>
> "RC" > wrote in message
> > Please help me diagnose performance issues with my GA 8KNXP
> >
> > My biggest issue is with memory bandwidth.
> >
> > Buffered:
> > 4894 integer
> > 4904 float
> >
> > Unbuffered:
> > 3715 integer
> > 3794 float
> >
> > I tried some new memory timing and crashed my system. Now regardless of
> FSB,
> > memory timings, or BIOS versions (F5, F6, F7E) I am unable to reach 5000
> > buffered. Before the crash I consistently timed in 5150 range. I am
> > meticulous about keeping OC parameter records and is positive that my
> system
> > is setup identically as before the crash.
> > I've been playing with this for 2 days now, but this one stomped me!
> >
> > System is rock stable.
> >
> > If you guys have any suggestions I would be grateful. I am really
> beginning
> > to regret buying this MB.
> >
> > Here are my system specs:
> >
> > Motherboard:
> > GA-8KNXP
> >
> > Memory:
> > Kingston HyperX 3500
> > CPU:P4 3.0 800MHz @ 3.3 800MHz
> > Video Card: 9800XT
> > Hard Drives: SATA RAID-0 70mb SATA BASE 80 mb
> > Temperatures: 32C @ Idle 50C @ Max Burn
> >
> > Bios: P4 3.0 BIOS
> > F6 Settings for GA-8KNKP
> > Gigabyte Logo:Disabled
> > Intel Branding:Disabled
> > AC97 Audio:Disabled
> > H/W GigaRaid:Disabled
> > On-chip SATA:Auto
> > SATA RAID Function:Disabled
> > Onboard H/W SATA:Enabled
> > Serial ATA Function:RAID
> > Onboard Giga RAID:Disabled
> > USB Mouse:Enabled
> > CPU Warning :60/140
> > CPU Fan Warning:Enabled
> > Power Fan Warning:Enabled
> > System Fan Warning:Enabled
> > CPU Smart Fan:Disabled
> > FSB:220
> > CPU Voltage:1.5625V
> > CPU Hyper Threading: Enabled
> > Memory Voltage:+.3V
> > CAS# Latency Time:2.5
> > Active Precharge Delay:5
> > DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay:3
> > DRAM RAS# Precharge:3
> > Refresh Mode Select:7.8
> > Delayed Transaction:Enabled
> > AGP Aperture Size:128
> > PSB Parking:Disabled
> > Command Per Clock (CPC):Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Fast Chip Select:Enabled:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Dynamic Paging:Auto:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Core Clock Frequency:438.75
> > Memory Clock Frequency:384.75

Michael Len
November 12th 03, 04:12 PM
RC Did you get that bandwith at CAS 2.5-5-3-3?

RC wrote:

> Please help me diagnose performance issues with my GA 8KNXP
>
> My biggest issue is with memory bandwidth.
>
> Buffered:
> 4894 integer
> 4904 float
>
> Unbuffered:
> 3715 integer
> 3794 float
>
> I tried some new memory timing and crashed my system. Now regardless of FSB,
> memory timings, or BIOS versions (F5, F6, F7E) I am unable to reach 5000
> buffered. Before the crash I consistently timed in 5150 range. I am
> meticulous about keeping OC parameter records and is positive that my system
> is setup identically as before the crash.
> I've been playing with this for 2 days now, but this one stomped me!
>
> System is rock stable.
>
> If you guys have any suggestions I would be grateful. I am really beginning
> to regret buying this MB.
>
> Here are my system specs:
>
> Motherboard:
> GA-8KNXP
>
> Memory:
> Kingston HyperX 3500
> CPU:P4 3.0 800MHz @ 3.3 800MHz
> Video Card: 9800XT
> Hard Drives: SATA RAID-0 70mb SATA BASE 80 mb
> Temperatures: 32C @ Idle 50C @ Max Burn
>
> Bios: P4 3.0 BIOS
> F6 Settings for GA-8KNKP
> Gigabyte Logo:Disabled
> Intel Branding:Disabled
> AC97 Audio:Disabled
> H/W GigaRaid:Disabled
> On-chip SATA:Auto
> SATA RAID Function:Disabled
> Onboard H/W SATA:Enabled
> Serial ATA Function:RAID
> Onboard Giga RAID:Disabled
> USB Mouse:Enabled
> CPU Warning :60/140
> CPU Fan Warning:Enabled
> Power Fan Warning:Enabled
> System Fan Warning:Enabled
> CPU Smart Fan:Disabled
> FSB:220
> CPU Voltage:1.5625V
> CPU Hyper Threading: Enabled
> Memory Voltage:+.3V
> CAS# Latency Time:2.5
> Active Precharge Delay:5
> DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay:3
> DRAM RAS# Precharge:3
> Refresh Mode Select:7.8
> Delayed Transaction:Enabled
> AGP Aperture Size:128
> PSB Parking:Disabled
> Command Per Clock (CPC):Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> Fast Chip Select:Enabled:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> Dynamic Paging:Auto:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> Core Clock Frequency:438.75
> Memory Clock Frequency:384.75

MikeG
November 12th 03, 06:57 PM
I am having the exact same issue. i went through the 3 different
versions of the bios. i am using OCZ platnuim pc3500. i bought it
because of it ablity to run at tight timings but this motherboard
doesn't seem to want to cooperate.
my memory bandwith is stuck around 4900 in sandra.

anyone have any suggestions out there? do i have to buy a different
motherboard?

RC
November 13th 03, 02:29 AM
Michael,

My best numbers for both the overclock and stability are:

2.5-5-3-3 at +.3v at 220 FSB. (~3300MHz)

After 8 hours of both MemTest and CPU Burnin runniung full blast I did get 1
memory error. I am willing to live with this.

BTW. I don't know of you guys got it from my previous post, but my memory
bandwidth issues we resolved with setting:

****PSB Parking to Enabled*****

I'm getting ~5,100 in Sandra now up from ~4,900.

I would be curious to see other's with and without the PSB Parking.

RC

www.roadczar.com

"Michael Len" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> RC Did you get that bandwith at CAS 2.5-5-3-3?
>
> RC wrote:
>
> > Please help me diagnose performance issues with my GA 8KNXP
> >
> > My biggest issue is with memory bandwidth.
> >
> > Buffered:
> > 4894 integer
> > 4904 float
> >
> > Unbuffered:
> > 3715 integer
> > 3794 float
> >
> > I tried some new memory timing and crashed my system. Now regardless of
FSB,
> > memory timings, or BIOS versions (F5, F6, F7E) I am unable to reach 5000
> > buffered. Before the crash I consistently timed in 5150 range. I am
> > meticulous about keeping OC parameter records and is positive that my
system
> > is setup identically as before the crash.
> > I've been playing with this for 2 days now, but this one stomped me!
> >
> > System is rock stable.
> >
> > If you guys have any suggestions I would be grateful. I am really
beginning
> > to regret buying this MB.
> >
> > Here are my system specs:
> >
> > Motherboard:
> > GA-8KNXP
> >
> > Memory:
> > Kingston HyperX 3500
> > CPU:P4 3.0 800MHz @ 3.3 800MHz
> > Video Card: 9800XT
> > Hard Drives: SATA RAID-0 70mb SATA BASE 80 mb
> > Temperatures: 32C @ Idle 50C @ Max Burn
> >
> > Bios: P4 3.0 BIOS
> > F6 Settings for GA-8KNKP
> > Gigabyte Logo:Disabled
> > Intel Branding:Disabled
> > AC97 Audio:Disabled
> > H/W GigaRaid:Disabled
> > On-chip SATA:Auto
> > SATA RAID Function:Disabled
> > Onboard H/W SATA:Enabled
> > Serial ATA Function:RAID
> > Onboard Giga RAID:Disabled
> > USB Mouse:Enabled
> > CPU Warning :60/140
> > CPU Fan Warning:Enabled
> > Power Fan Warning:Enabled
> > System Fan Warning:Enabled
> > CPU Smart Fan:Disabled
> > FSB:220
> > CPU Voltage:1.5625V
> > CPU Hyper Threading: Enabled
> > Memory Voltage:+.3V
> > CAS# Latency Time:2.5
> > Active Precharge Delay:5
> > DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay:3
> > DRAM RAS# Precharge:3
> > Refresh Mode Select:7.8
> > Delayed Transaction:Enabled
> > AGP Aperture Size:128
> > PSB Parking:Disabled
> > Command Per Clock (CPC):Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Fast Chip Select:Enabled:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Dynamic Paging:Auto:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
> > Core Clock Frequency:438.75
> > Memory Clock Frequency:384.75

Michael Len
November 13th 03, 06:28 PM
Timothy: Would you please post the exact model numbers for your memory
and how you set the timings , voltage etc. , memtest, errors/stability.
You are the first person to post with 4 X 512 MB dual channel. Everyone
else has given up. I would like to add another pair of 512 MB but I
don't want to waste my time if it won't work.
RC: Thanks for the tip!
My rig: Gigabyte 8KNXP, P4 2.8C, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT Cas
2-5-3-3, Memtest86 2442 MB/s, Zalman CNPS 7000AlCu, WD Raptor, Radeon
8500LL, WinXP pro

PSB parking disabled: SiSoft Sandra 2003 4603MB/s Int Buff, 4596MB/s
Float Buff
PSB parking enabled: 47603 MB/s Int Buff, 4838 Float Buff
Nice little performance bump!

RC wrote:
> [...]
>>>Onboard Giga RAID:Disabled
>>>USB Mouse:Enabled
>>>CPU Warning :60/140
>>>CPU Fan Warning:Enabled
>>>Power Fan Warning:Enabled
>>>System Fan Warning:Enabled
>>>CPU Smart Fan:Disabled
>>>FSB:220
>>>CPU Voltage:1.5625V
>>>CPU Hyper Threading: Enabled
>>>Memory Voltage:+.3V
>>>CAS# Latency Time:2.5
>>>Active Precharge Delay:5
>>>DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay:3
>>>DRAM RAS# Precharge:3
>>>Refresh Mode Select:7.8
>>>Delayed Transaction:Enabled
>>>AGP Aperture Size:128
>>>PSB Parking:Disabled
>>>Command Per Clock (CPC):Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
>>>Fast Chip Select:Enabled:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210
>>>Dynamic Paging:Auto:Disabled:Not valid for FSB > 210

November 14th 03, 05:08 AM
I bought the MB, CPU and memory all at the same time from a local shop. I
just told them I wanted 2gig of memory. They did select 4 sticks that all
had the same lot number, but it's just generic memory. Nothing fancy.

The shop installed the memory and CPU and fired up the combo on the bench
while I watched. Note, I didn't ask them to do it, they just do it as a
normal practice to show that everything works before it leaves the shop.

That way there's no question that the parts they sold all worked together
when it left the shop.

Beats the hell out of buying the CPU from one store, the MB from another,
and the memory from yet another source only to find out they don't work
together.

I haven't had to adjust anything with regards to memory settings in the
BIOS. Everything is as the default settings.

Having said that, here is the info from the ram

PC3200 512MB DDR
P/N: D512M400SA

The sticks are double-sided and each side has 8 Samsung chips
Each chip is...
Samsung 322
K4H560838E-TCCC

"Michael Len" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
> Timothy: Would you please post the exact model numbers for your memory
> and how you set the timings , voltage etc. , memtest, errors/stability.
> You are the first person to post with 4 X 512 MB dual channel. Everyone
> else has given up. I would like to add another pair of 512 MB but I
> don't want to waste my time if it won't work.
> RC: Thanks for the tip!
> My rig: Gigabyte 8KNXP, P4 2.8C, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT Cas
> 2-5-3-3, Memtest86 2442 MB/s, Zalman CNPS 7000AlCu, WD Raptor, Radeon
> 8500LL, WinXP pro
>
> PSB parking disabled: SiSoft Sandra 2003 4603MB/s Int Buff, 4596MB/s
> Float Buff
> PSB parking enabled: 47603 MB/s Int Buff, 4838 Float Buff
> Nice little performance bump!
>
> RC wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > My best numbers for both the overclock and stability are:
> >
> > 2.5-5-3-3 at +.3v at 220 FSB. (~3300MHz)
> >
> > After 8 hours of both MemTest and CPU Burnin runniung full blast I did
get 1
> > memory error. I am willing to live with this.
> >
> > BTW. I don't know of you guys got it from my previous post, but my
memory
> > bandwidth issues we resolved with setting:
> >
> > ****PSB Parking to Enabled*****
> >
> > I'm getting ~5,100 in Sandra now up from ~4,900.
> >
> > I would be curious to see other's with and without the PSB Parking.
> >
> > RC
> >
> > www.roadczar.com
> >
> > "Michael Len" > wrote in message
> > le.rogers.com...
> >
> >>RC Did you get that bandwith at CAS 2.5-5-3-3?

> > FSB,

> > system

> > beginning

Bob Davis
November 14th 03, 06:18 PM
"Michael Len" > wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

> Timothy: Would you please post the exact model numbers for your memory
> and how you set the timings , voltage etc. , memtest, errors/stability.
> You are the first person to post with 4 X 512 MB dual channel. Everyone
> else has given up. I would like to add another pair of 512 MB but I
> don't want to waste my time if it won't work.

I guess I'm the third. These are Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G (two matched
sets, 2gb total) installed in slots 1, 2, 4, & 5 with the default bios
settings. System was initially set up with 1gb in June, then the second gb
installed in August, and has been rock-solid since. According to the
notification at POST, they are running in dual-channel mode, and I get
consistent Sandra benchmarks in the 4700 range.

Michael Len
November 15th 03, 08:09 PM
Thanks Bob and Timothy.
I will have to determine if the latency increase will be more
detrimental than the boost in capacity as both the Samsung and Kingston
are CL 3-3-3. Currently my Corsair is running 2-3-3. Wonder if it
would work if I lower my settings and add more RAM. I might have to
ebay the Corsair and buy two new kits.