PDA

View Full Version : GA-8PENXP Questions/Issues

Tim Snider
August 30th 03, 11:03 PM
I have installed many Giga-byte. This one MB rocks, but not without
confusion.

First, The instructions are not very clear how to set the bios to be able to
install one drive on the IDE3 port to take advantage of the ATA133
capability. I didn't want to install a RAID just wanted to take advantage
of the 133.

Second issue, was once I figured out how to make the IDE3 recognize one
disk, was how to get XP to install to that drive. CD was attached to IDE1
as Master. HD on IDE3 as master.

Third issue, the CD that comes with that MB and in the GigaRaid manual, it
tells you to make a floppy containing the drivers for the gigaraid function.
It states to copy the drivers to a floppy from a folder called Drivers on
the CD from which you are supposed to copy to a floppy to install at the
begining of the XP installation (f6). The folder contains 4.7mb of stuff
that will not fit on one disk. Through determination and luck, I was able
to determine exactly what files were required on the disk and in their
proper location and thus was able to complete the installation.

Fourth issue, If you want to install a second video card in the PCI slot,
the PCI slot becomes the primary video by default. In previous editions
there were an option in the bios that allowed you to select primary boot
video, PCI or AGP. In this bios the option is missing. Forcing the PCI to
be the first video card.

On previous MB's it was simpler. the driver folder only contained those
drivers required for that MB. Some how Gigabyte is rushing this to market
too fast and leaving out the smaller details.

Sat
September 2nd 03, 01:27 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your post. I'm almost ready to buy a GA-8PENXP and your post is
timely. Can you let me know how you got your ATA133 HDD to become master
and boot WinXP.

Thanks,
Sat.

"Tim Snider" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have installed many Giga-byte. This one MB rocks, but not without
> confusion.
>
> First, The instructions are not very clear how to set the bios to be able
> install one drive on the IDE3 port to take advantage of the ATA133
> capability. I didn't want to install a RAID just wanted to take
advantage
> of the 133.
>
> Second issue, was once I figured out how to make the IDE3 recognize one
> disk, was how to get XP to install to that drive. CD was attached to IDE1
> as Master. HD on IDE3 as master.
>
> Third issue, the CD that comes with that MB and in the GigaRaid manual, it
> tells you to make a floppy containing the drivers for the gigaraid
function.
> It states to copy the drivers to a floppy from a folder called Drivers on
> the CD from which you are supposed to copy to a floppy to install at the
> begining of the XP installation (f6). The folder contains 4.7mb of stuff
> that will not fit on one disk. Through determination and luck, I was able
> to determine exactly what files were required on the disk and in their
> proper location and thus was able to complete the installation.
>
> Fourth issue, If you want to install a second video card in the PCI slot,
> the PCI slot becomes the primary video by default. In previous editions
> there were an option in the bios that allowed you to select primary boot
> video, PCI or AGP. In this bios the option is missing. Forcing the PCI to
> be the first video card.
>
> On previous MB's it was simpler. the driver folder only contained those
> drivers required for that MB. Some how Gigabyte is rushing this to market
> too fast and leaving out the smaller details.

Mark Lepak
September 5th 03, 07:59 AM
"Tim Snider" > wrote:

>I have installed many Giga-byte. This one MB rocks, but not without
>confusion.
>
>First, The instructions are not very clear how to set the bios to be able to
>install one drive on the IDE3 port to take advantage of the ATA133
>capability. I didn't want to install a RAID just wanted to take advantage
>of the 133.
>
>Second issue, was once I figured out how to make the IDE3 recognize one
>disk, was how to get XP to install to that drive. CD was attached to IDE1
>as Master. HD on IDE3 as master.
>
>Third issue, the CD that comes with that MB and in the GigaRaid manual, it
>tells you to make a floppy containing the drivers for the gigaraid function.
>It states to copy the drivers to a floppy from a folder called Drivers on
>the CD from which you are supposed to copy to a floppy to install at the
>begining of the XP installation (f6). The folder contains 4.7mb of stuff
>that will not fit on one disk. Through determination and luck, I was able
>to determine exactly what files were required on the disk and in their
>proper location and thus was able to complete the installation.
>
>Fourth issue, If you want to install a second video card in the PCI slot,
>the PCI slot becomes the primary video by default. In previous editions
>there were an option in the bios that allowed you to select primary boot
>video, PCI or AGP. In this bios the option is missing. Forcing the PCI to
>be the first video card.
>
>On previous MB's it was simpler. the driver folder only contained those
>drivers required for that MB. Some how Gigabyte is rushing this to market
>too fast and leaving out the smaller details.

Tim,

I've installed this board OK and I'm using the INTEL SATA controller
instead of IDE. I have my CD and CD-RW/DVD on IDE 2 and the BIOS
automatically set my 2 x SATA drives as IDE 1.

What have you set the Advance BIOS features to?

I had problems installing the SATA RAID drivers, I could not do it at
F6 since a file was missing but I got them installed in XP afterwards.

I'm running a P4 2.8c and this runs a bit hot, 40-42 deg C at idle and
55-65 deg C at load but apart from that a good install.

Brgds

--
Mark

"The arrow on a moving target,
the archer must be sure of his aim........"
N. Peart

Chris
September 20th 03, 05:01 AM
Some Gigabyte boards I think you have to hit F5 during POST to get to
the BIOS advanced options , instead of delete.AS far as the ATA RAID
,does it have an option to enter it's setup utility or does it AUTO
build like Promises onboard RAID?

Tim_S
October 15th 03, 01:08 AM
Well, I will try to tell you based out of memory as it has been a while
since doing this..
To get your drive to boot using the ATA133 IDE ports (Raid) you must make a
disk (floppy) with the raid drivers.
Then in your BIOS enable SATA and RAID, the SATA apparently maps through
these ports or enables them as boot devices.
Disable all regular IDE drive ports except the one the CD Rom Drive is on.
Do not put your CD rom drive on the GigaRaid ports.

Basically what you are looking for on boot, the regular IDE ports should
pick up the CD Rom and all rest ports should be disabled.
When the GigaRaid BIOs kick's in it should list your Hard Drive.
Once you get past this point, then you will need your XP disk in the CD-Rom
drive and have the Floppy with the GigaRaid drivers you made earlier in the
3.5 drive.

When you see the XP installation screen keep you eye on the bottom
information bar. When you see Press F6 for third party SCSI drivers or
something similar, press F6 and follow the prompts. Continue installing XP
following the prompts.

Like I said, I am writing this from memory and you may have to experiment
with the BIOS settings to get the GigaRaid to turn on...