PDA

View Full Version : Re: GA-8KNXP or 875P Neo-FIS2R ?

marcusD
August 30th 03, 02:01 AM
I've been following this group for quite some time, and I do not
recall reading any, or at least very few problems with the 8KNXP;
so I bought one. It works great, no regrets at all. I also considered
the MSI FIS2R before making my decision.

"John Con" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> i have to choose between these boards. Which one should i take? I was
> decided for the GA-8KNXP until someone told me, to read about the
> problems with the board in this group. Now i`m not longer shure, if the
> choose for the GA-8KNXP ist right or not. I need stability and no
> problems. S-ATA is fine (want to take a maxtor 120 GB s-ata-drive), but
> raid ist not necessary (i have only two drives). I need firewire (for
> video-working) and lan.
> Will sb help me? Any other ideas? My dealer sells only msi and gigabyte.
>
> Jonny

Bob Davis
August 30th 03, 04:30 AM
Like Marcus, I've had my 8KNXP for 2 months and it has always been
rock-solid and stable. That isn't to say it hasn't been without its issues,
however. For one, WinXP failed to accept the GigaRAID drivers causing me to
proceed with one drive. As it turned out, this controller is a dog and I
was blessed by the problem having avoided the on-board IDE RAID. My single
Maxtor 8mb-buffer C: drive is very fast, I don't miss the striped set-up at
all, and I have no plans of changing the existing setup.

Also, the included Easytune4 software never worked, either the CD version or
another submitted by GB tech support. Again, no big loss, as I'm using
Motherboard Monitor, which works fine in its place. Because of this I
haven't tried it again since upgrading to the F6 bios and don't plan to.

Lastly, when I installed a second gb of RAM I encountered inconsistent
errors running Memtest86 v3 on the last 2% of Test 5. This was never
resolved by anyone, but in three weeks of intense use the board with its 2gb
of RAM (2 x Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G kits) has been flawless. I'm
convinced this is an issue with Memtest86, not the hardware, especially
since the Memtest86 site mentions possible false errors in "some systems."

BTW, like most motherboard companies, Gigabyte's tech support is weak, and
they have provided no useful input toward the issues aforementioned. Be
that as it may, based on my experience I can recommend the board with this
memory setup.