PDA

View Full Version : Where are advanced BIOS settings on 8KNXP??

Charlie Smith
August 29th 03, 05:13 PM
Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried this
durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the one
you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS version
F6. What am I doing wrong??

Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still reboots on
Win XP shutdown.
Thanks, Charlie

marcusD
August 29th 03, 05:43 PM
On mine the Advanced Bios is right there on the first screen
that comes up with the Bios. Page 40 of my User's Manual
shows the screen, and Advanced is the second entry.
AFAIK this will apply to Bios vers 4 thru 6.
If you want to 'kick it up a notch' go to the last item, Frequency Control.

I've heard that an automatic reboot on shutdown is a hardware
conflict. Maybe one of the gurus will come along to assist you
on that one.

"Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
> Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried this
> durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the one
> you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS version
> F6. What am I doing wrong??
>
> Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still reboots on
> Win XP shutdown.
> Thanks, Charlie

Timothy Drouillard
August 30th 03, 12:21 AM
With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.

At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the menu's
on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.

"Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
> Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried this
> durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the one
> you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS version
> F6. What am I doing wrong??
>
> Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still reboots
on
> Win XP shutdown.
> Thanks, Charlie

Bob Davis
August 30th 03, 04:36 AM
It adds another section, "Advanced chipset options" or similar, and also
adds more options in at least one other section.

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.
>
> At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the
menu's
> on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
> menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.
>
> "Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
> > Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried this
> > durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the
one
> > you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS
version
> > F6. What am I doing wrong??
> >
> > Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still
reboots
> on
> > Win XP shutdown.
> > Thanks, Charlie

marcusD
August 30th 03, 06:04 PM
Oh oh, mine doesn't do that. Ctrl + F1 makes the screen flash, nothing
changes. The items on the right side are help items explaining the
option highlighted in the left colum. My board is Rev 1.0 with Bios F6 from
Gigabyte.

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.
>
> At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the menu's
> on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
> menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.
>
> "Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
> > Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried this
> > durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the one
> > you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS version
> > F6. What am I doing wrong??
> >
> > Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still reboots
> on
> > Win XP shutdown.
> > Thanks, Charlie

Timothy Drouillard
August 30th 03, 06:22 PM
'just for the hell of it'.......
try using your 'other' ctl key on the outside chance that the ctl key you're
using isn't working properly, giving you the effect of just hitting the F1
(help) key.

"marcusD" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Oh oh, mine doesn't do that. Ctrl + F1 makes the screen flash, nothing
> changes. The items on the right side are help items explaining the
> option highlighted in the left colum. My board is Rev 1.0 with Bios F6
from
> Gigabyte.
>

> "Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> > With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.
> >
> > At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the
menu's
> > on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
> > menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.
> >
> > "Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
> > > Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried
this
> > > durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the
one
> > > you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS
version
> > > F6. What am I doing wrong??
> > >
> > > Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still
reboots
> > on
> > > Win XP shutdown.
> > > Thanks, Charlie

marcusD
August 30th 03, 09:44 PM
Ok, here's what happens. Ctrl + F1 makes only one change to the bios
screen, and that is to add "Top Performance" on the top of the right side,
over Select Language. And, Top Performance only has two choices,
enabled or disabled. That item, by the way, is not covered in the Users
Manual. Otherwise, my Users Manual matches my bios screen exactly,
and Advanced Bios Features is always shown on the left side as the
second item, under Standard CMOS Function. I'd like to know what
options you guys see when you bring up your Advanced Bios...and if it
is referenced in your Users Manual, what page? My Users Manual is
dated April 16 2003, and my Bios is described starting on page 39.

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> 'just for the hell of it'.......
> try using your 'other' ctl key on the outside chance that the ctl key you're
> using isn't working properly, giving you the effect of just hitting the F1
> (help) key.
>

> "marcusD" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Oh oh, mine doesn't do that. Ctrl + F1 makes the screen flash, nothing
> > changes. The items on the right side are help items explaining the
> > option highlighted in the left colum. My board is Rev 1.0 with Bios F6
> from
> > Gigabyte.
> >

> > "Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> > > With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.
> > >
> > > At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the
> menu's
> > > on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
> > > menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.

> this
> one
> version

> reboots
> > > on

Mr E
August 30th 03, 10:23 PM
marcusD wrote:
> Ok, here's what happens. Ctrl + F1 makes only one change to the bios
> screen, and that is to add "Top Performance" on the top of the right
> side, over Select Language. And, Top Performance only has two
> choices,
> enabled or disabled. That item, by the way, is not covered in the
> Users Manual. Otherwise, my Users Manual matches my bios screen
> exactly,
> and Advanced Bios Features is always shown on the left side as the
> second item, under Standard CMOS Function. I'd like to know what
> options you guys see when you bring up your Advanced Bios...and if it
> is referenced in your Users Manual, what page? My Users Manual is
> dated April 16 2003, and my Bios is described starting on page 39.

I think you'll find that the date is the effective date for the 'Declaration
of Conformity' rather than the date of the manual. My copy of the manual has
Bios featured described as you say on page 39.

I seem to recall that the main differences between the standard BIOS and the
Advanced BIOS (as achieved through pressing CTRL-F1) appears on the screen
relating to memory timings. You can actually change the timings in the
advanced BIOS. I'm sure there were some other differences too.

Take care,

John.

Timothy Drouillard
August 30th 03, 10:24 PM
Take a closer look.

On the ride hand menu, they add 'Top Performance' menu

On the left hand menu they add 'Advanced Chipset Features'.

I didn't take the time to explore the menus nor look what's in the 'Advanced
Chipset Features sub-menu yet.

Right now I just wanted to point out that there are TWO ADDITIONAL menu
items in the Advanced BIOS (ctl-F1) menus.

"marcusD" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, here's what happens. Ctrl + F1 makes only one change to the bios
> screen, and that is to add "Top Performance" on the top of the right side,
> over Select Language. And, Top Performance only has two choices,
> enabled or disabled. That item, by the way, is not covered in the Users
> Manual. Otherwise, my Users Manual matches my bios screen exactly,
> and Advanced Bios Features is always shown on the left side as the
> second item, under Standard CMOS Function. I'd like to know what
> options you guys see when you bring up your Advanced Bios...and if it
> is referenced in your Users Manual, what page? My Users Manual is
> dated April 16 2003, and my Bios is described starting on page 39.
>
> "Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> > 'just for the hell of it'.......
> > try using your 'other' ctl key on the outside chance that the ctl key
you're
> > using isn't working properly, giving you the effect of just hitting the
F1
> > (help) key.
> >

> > "marcusD" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Oh oh, mine doesn't do that. Ctrl + F1 makes the screen flash,
nothing
> > > changes. The items on the right side are help items explaining the
> > > option highlighted in the left colum. My board is Rev 1.0 with Bios
F6
> > from
> > > Gigabyte.

> > menu's

> > this
> > one
> > version

> > reboots

marcusD
August 30th 03, 10:38 PM
Thanks, I'll keep looking, I'm new to this board but you'd think I could find
a bios item...oh well.

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> Take a closer look.
>
> On the ride hand menu, they add 'Top Performance' menu
>
> On the left hand menu they add 'Advanced Chipset Features'.
>
> I didn't take the time to explore the menus nor look what's in the 'Advanced
> Chipset Features sub-menu yet.
>
> Right now I just wanted to point out that there are TWO ADDITIONAL menu
> items in the Advanced BIOS (ctl-F1) menus.
>

> "marcusD" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Ok, here's what happens. Ctrl + F1 makes only one change to the bios
> > screen, and that is to add "Top Performance" on the top of the right side,
> > over Select Language. And, Top Performance only has two choices,
> > enabled or disabled. That item, by the way, is not covered in the Users
> > Manual. Otherwise, my Users Manual matches my bios screen exactly,
> > and Advanced Bios Features is always shown on the left side as the
> > second item, under Standard CMOS Function. I'd like to know what
> > options you guys see when you bring up your Advanced Bios...and if it
> > is referenced in your Users Manual, what page? My Users Manual is
> > dated April 16 2003, and my Bios is described starting on page 39.
> >
> > "Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> > > 'just for the hell of it'.......
> > > try using your 'other' ctl key on the outside chance that the ctl key
> you're
> > > using isn't working properly, giving you the effect of just hitting the
> F1
> > > (help) key.
> > >

> > > "marcusD" > wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]
> nothing
> F6
> > > from

> > > menu's
> the

> > > this
> (the
> > > one
> > > version

> > > reboots

marcusD
August 30th 03, 10:42 PM
You are absolutely correct, it's just as you say. Thanks for the help.

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> Take a closer look.
>
> On the ride hand menu, they add 'Top Performance' menu
>
> On the left hand menu they add 'Advanced Chipset Features'.
>
> I didn't take the time to explore the menus nor look what's in the 'Advanced
> Chipset Features sub-menu yet.
>
> Right now I just wanted to point out that there are TWO ADDITIONAL menu
> items in the Advanced BIOS (ctl-F1) menus.
>

> "marcusD" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Ok, here's what happens. Ctrl + F1 makes only one change to the bios
> > screen, and that is to add "Top Performance" on the top of the right side,
> > over Select Language. And, Top Performance only has two choices,
> > enabled or disabled. That item, by the way, is not covered in the Users
> > Manual. Otherwise, my Users Manual matches my bios screen exactly,
> > and Advanced Bios Features is always shown on the left side as the
> > second item, under Standard CMOS Function. I'd like to know what
> > options you guys see when you bring up your Advanced Bios...and if it
> > is referenced in your Users Manual, what page? My Users Manual is
> > dated April 16 2003, and my Bios is described starting on page 39.
> >
> > "Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> > > 'just for the hell of it'.......
> > > try using your 'other' ctl key on the outside chance that the ctl key
> you're
> > > using isn't working properly, giving you the effect of just hitting the
> F1
> > > (help) key.
> > >

> > > "marcusD" > wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]
> nothing
> F6
> > > from

> > > menu's
> the

> > > this
> (the
> > > one
> > > version

> > > reboots

Bob Davis
August 31st 03, 12:28 AM
There are also added options within categories that were previously there.

"marcusD" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> You are absolutely correct, it's just as you say. Thanks for the help.

Charlie Smith
August 31st 03, 11:12 PM
You folks are keen observers, and absolutly right. By the way, after
finding the option, I tried the Top Performance setting, crashed the board,
and had to clear the CMOS. Wonder what it does??
Answer to reboot on shutdown (provided by Gigabyte email response) was to
disable all wakeup options under Power Management. The PME wakeup was the
culprit.
Thanks, Charlie
"Bob Davis" > wrote in message
.. .
> It adds another section, "Advanced chipset options" or similar, and also
> adds more options in at least one other section.
>
> "Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> > With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.
> >
> > At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the
> menu's
> > on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
> > menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.
> >
> > "Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
> > > Manual says to punch CTRL+F1 to get into advanced settings. Tried
this
> > > durring and after POST, and while looking at the BIOS menu screen (the
> one
> > > you get by hitting DEL during POST), with no effect. Using BIOS
> version
> > > F6. What am I doing wrong??
> > >
> > > Also, is there a way to disable APM on this board?? System still
> reboots
> > on
> > > Win XP shutdown.
> > > Thanks, Charlie

marcusD
September 1st 03, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the warning, I wondered what that Top Performance thing did since
it's not covered in the users manual.

"Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
> You folks are keen observers, and absolutly right. By the way, after
> finding the option, I tried the Top Performance setting, crashed the board,
> and had to clear the CMOS. Wonder what it does??
> Answer to reboot on shutdown (provided by Gigabyte email response) was to
> disable all wakeup options under Power Management. The PME wakeup was the
> culprit.
> Thanks, Charlie
> "Bob Davis" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > It adds another section, "Advanced chipset options" or similar, and also
> > adds more options in at least one other section.
> >
> > "Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> > > With mine, I get into the normal BIOS setup, THEN I hit ctl-F1.
> > >
> > > At first glance the screen looks the same, till I noticed one of the
> > menu's
> > > on the right side wasn't there before, then I started going into all the
> > > menu's and sure enough there were many additional settings.

> this
> > one
> > version

> > reboots
> > > on

Tom Collin
September 2nd 03, 11:27 PM
AFIK, Top Performance will try to move up your CPU and associated
other timings, but it does not work with IDE access. When I
experimented, my system froze after a partial load of the OS. I
rebooted, entered BIOS and turned off TP. I assume it works with
systems running off SATA or SCSI drives.

Tom Collin

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:16:57 -0700, "marcusD" >
wrote:

>Thanks for the warning, I wondered what that Top Performance thing did since
>it's not covered in the users manual.
>
>"Charlie Smith" > wrote in message
>> You folks are keen observers, and absolutly right. By the way, after
>> finding the option, I tried the Top Performance setting, crashed the board,
>> and had to clear the CMOS. Wonder what it does??
>> Answer to reboot on shutdown (provided by Gigabyte email response) was to
>> disable all wakeup options under Power Management. The PME wakeup was the
>> culprit.
>> Thanks, Charlie
>> "Bob Davis" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>> > It adds another section, "Advanced chipset options" or similar, and also
>> > adds more options in at least one other section.

>> > menu's

>> this
>> > one
>> > version

>> > reboots

Timothy Drouillard
September 3rd 03, 12:21 AM
I believe it tries some rather agressive memory timimgs.

I tried it on my GA-8KNXP that has two SATA RAID 0 arrays.

It would lock up immediatly and never even get far enough into the POST to
show either of the RAID controllers.
My system uses 4 sticks of 512meg generic DDR400 ram, so I wasn't suprised
at all when it didn't like the 'Top Performance' settings.

I too had to remove my CMOS battery for a short time then the system would
boot up using default settings.