PDA

View Full Version : Re: GA7-VRXP and Athlon 2400+ XP - Won't boot!!?? WHY ??

Tom
August 29th 03, 02:06 AM
Hello- I have no real tips, but I just today installed the same chip in the
same motherboard- same rev too. Took out the 1.4 and dropped in the 2400. No
problems. Also have a geforce 5200 and 512 of pc2100.
So with all the help I offered .... sorry- been there.
All I can say is that the combo will work- maybe start looking at a
defective chip.
Tom

"TiredRob" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping some-one here can help me with a problem I have with the new
CPU
> I just bought for my m/board, because I cannot get it to even boot up at
> all!
>
> The problem;
>
> After fitting the CPU, nothing seems to go at all, except the fans. The
> system doesn't even get to the BIOS, and even doesn't fire up my monitor!
> Tried running at both 133 and 100mhz FSB, no difference.
>
> The components;
>
> Gigabyte GA7-VRXP v1.1 m/board F12 bios installed
> Athlon 2400+ XP (266mhz) CPU
> Q-Tec 550W PSU
> 512mb 333 RAM
> Geforce 2 GTS (Creative labs)
> 2*120gb Maxtor h/disks, RAID
> Usual other stuff - cdrw etc etc...
>
> Anyone have ANY ideas or suggestions on why my system won't even boot ? I
> checked on the Gigabyte website before I bought the CPU, and it says it
> should be compatible.. If I refit my Athlon 1.1 everything is fine.
>
> I've had no response from Gigabyte to my emails, so any help here or
> suggestions as to things to try out would be very much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob.

Tom
August 29th 03, 10:38 PM
When I built the machine last year, with the 1.4, I could only get Win2k
loaded if I set it at 100 fsb. After it was loaded, it switched to 133 and
kept it there.
Everything on my bios is set to "auto" and to "peak performance", I usually
don't monkey with anything else.(sorry- this is only the 4th box I built-
not too knowledgeable on divider settings and Vcc settings.....)
So when I changed the chip to the 2400, I didn't clear the cmos. When I
booted up the first time I got a windows message "your processor has been
changed".

Odds are you probably know this stuff- but one time I plugged in an 800mhz
chip into a board. I just wanted to see it it would work for a few seconds,
so I figured I didn't need a heat sink.
Wouldn't even post. I guess it went into immediate thermal shutdown. Put the
HS on and it worked thereafter.

Anyway I still have the problem with my board with the new chip-same as the
old chip. Conputer works great with any app- as long as I'm using it. But
when it goes into standby- I'm locked out- mouse moves but no icon action.
Have to hit the soft reboot key.

I should walk away and consider myself lucky.

"TiredRob" > wrote in message
> Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.. At least that confirms that it SHOULD be
able
> to work ok...
>
> Any chance you could tell me what m/board settings you used for the new
chip
> please ? Are you running the multiplier dip switches set to auto ? 100 or
> 133mhz FSB ? Did you clear your CMOS when you changed chip... ??
>
> Any info you can supply might help me. I'm still getting no-where!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob.

Tom
August 29th 03, 10:40 PM
Forgot to add- I see plenty of good info at www.amdmb
Click on "forums" then motherboards, then Gigabyte.