PDA

View Full Version : CPU Smart Fan Control on the 8KNXP


David D.
August 28th 03, 12:47 PM
The manual says that the CPU Smart Fan Control, when enabled, will run
the fan at low speed when the CPU temp is below 40C and high speed
when the temp is over 40C. The problem is that whenever I first turn
on the computer, the temperature always starts at 40C and goes up from
there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

Dave

The Marshal
August 28th 03, 05:17 PM
If you have a retail P4 the HS&fan that comes with it has a temp monitor
built in and its best to disable the smart fan option in bios as the fan
regulates its own temp speed.

"David D." > wrote in message
om...
> The manual says that the CPU Smart Fan Control, when enabled, will run
> the fan at low speed when the CPU temp is below 40C and high speed
> when the temp is over 40C. The problem is that whenever I first turn
> on the computer, the temperature always starts at 40C and goes up from
> there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
> well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
>
> Dave

Timothy Drouillard
August 28th 03, 11:42 PM
Depends on what CPU you have. I have a 3.2Ghz, and it's never below 41
although it also never goes beyond 57c fully loaded at constant 100%
utilization.

"David D." > wrote in message
om...
> The manual says that the CPU Smart Fan Control, when enabled, will run
> the fan at low speed when the CPU temp is below 40C and high speed
> when the temp is over 40C. The problem is that whenever I first turn
> on the computer, the temperature always starts at 40C and goes up from
> there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
> well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
>
> Dave

David D.
August 29th 03, 07:29 PM
I think you're right about the temperature sensor being built-in, but
there is no connection between the chip and the fan, thus no way for
the chip to control the fan speed. So this doesn't make sense to me.

Dave

"The Marshal" > wrote in message >...
> If you have a retail P4 the HS&fan that comes with it has a temp monitor
> built in and its best to disable the smart fan option in bios as the fan
> regulates its own temp speed.
>
> "David D." > wrote in message
> om...
> > The manual says that the CPU Smart Fan Control, when enabled, will run
> > the fan at low speed when the CPU temp is below 40C and high speed
> > when the temp is over 40C. The problem is that whenever I first turn
> > on the computer, the temperature always starts at 40C and goes up from
> > there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
> > well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
> >
> > Dave

David D.
August 29th 03, 07:34 PM
I don't think it's a case of my 2.6Ghz running hotter than other chips
since 40C is always the temperature that it starts at, even after a
completely cold start...and it sounds like your 3.2 does about the
same. It seems that the chip always reports 40C and then goes up from
there regardless of the ambient temperature.

So it would apprear that for the lot of us the smart CPU fan control
is pretty useless unless I can set the speed at which it engages. Is
there anyone out there who can report this feature actually working?

Dave

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message >...
> Depends on what CPU you have. I have a 3.2Ghz, and it's never below 41
> although it also never goes beyond 57c fully loaded at constant 100%
> utilization.
>
> "David D." > wrote in message
> om...
> > The manual says that the CPU Smart Fan Control, when enabled, will run
> > the fan at low speed when the CPU temp is below 40C and high speed
> > when the temp is over 40C. The problem is that whenever I first turn
> > on the computer, the temperature always starts at 40C and goes up from
> > there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
> > well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
> >
> > Dave

Mark Taylor
August 30th 03, 03:33 AM
Hello David

I just built a system up with a new Thermaltake Xaser III aluminium case.
Upon doing this the 7 fans on this case were inoperable initially and the
CPU temp was 40C and the CPU kernel temp about 72C. However now that the
fans are up and working the CPU temp is actually 31-32C, CPU kernel temp is
69C and the CPU fan is listed at 2700 rpm. Even under load this system only
changes about 1 to 2 degrees. Current room temperatures are quite low, about
18C, as it is winter here in Oz. However even in summer this should still be
quite low as I currently have most of the fans on low speed. I have
personally found that aluminium cases definitely help reduce overall
temperatures. In addition the Li Lian PC60 case and this Thermaltake I have
both have top fans which I do believe help signifircantly in removing the
hot air from the case. I have a lot of gear in this case like 4 IDE RAID
disk (0+1) which sit at about 20C BTW.

So I would think that your case is not well ventilated or may require some
additional cooling fans. The 40C is not really a problem though from what I
understand as it will run up to about 60C without problems. However as you
can see from my example a few case fans can make a significant difference to
the CPU temps as well.

Regards
Mark

"David D." > wrote in message
om...
> The manual says that the CPU Smart Fan Control, when enabled, will run
> the fan at low speed when the CPU temp is below 40C and high speed
> when the temp is over 40C. The problem is that whenever I first turn
> on the computer, the temperature always starts at 40C and goes up from
> there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
> well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
>
> Dave

David D.
September 2nd 03, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the response, but cooling is not the issue here. The
temperature is 40C immediately upon an initial cold boot of the
machine (which *is* aluminum and has plenty of ventilation). For
example, if I leave the machine overnight, come to it in the morning,
turn it one and immediately go into the bios (all within 20 seconds),
the temp is always exactly 40C even if the ambient temperature is well
below that. If I then leave the machine running, the temp slowly
creeps up as expected, but not to any temp that would cause a problem
(highest has been around 45C so far).

Remember, I'm not concerned here about problematic temperatures since
I'm not seeing that; my *only* issue is noise and the "smart" fan
control that doesn't seem to have any practical value. Has anyone
here gotten the smart fan control to work on this board?

Dave

"Mark Taylor" > wrote in message >...
> Hello David
>
> I just built a system up with a new Thermaltake Xaser III aluminium case.
> Upon doing this the 7 fans on this case were inoperable initially and the
> CPU temp was 40C and the CPU kernel temp about 72C. However now that the
> fans are up and working the CPU temp is actually 31-32C, CPU kernel temp is
> 69C and the CPU fan is listed at 2700 rpm. Even under load this system only
> changes about 1 to 2 degrees. Current room temperatures are quite low, about
> 18C, as it is winter here in Oz. However even in summer this should still be
> quite low as I currently have most of the fans on low speed. I have
> personally found that aluminium cases definitely help reduce overall
> temperatures. In addition the Li Lian PC60 case and this Thermaltake I have
> both have top fans which I do believe help signifircantly in removing the
> hot air from the case. I have a lot of gear in this case like 4 IDE RAID
> disk (0+1) which sit at about 20C BTW.
>
> So I would think that your case is not well ventilated or may require some
> additional cooling fans. The 40C is not really a problem though from what I
> understand as it will run up to about 60C without problems. However as you
> can see from my example a few case fans can make a significant difference to
> the CPU temps as well.
>
> Regards
> Mark
>
> "David D." > wrote in message
> om...
> > The manual says that the CPU Smart Fan Control, when enabled, will run
> > the fan at low speed when the CPU temp is below 40C and high speed
> > when the temp is over 40C. The problem is that whenever I first turn
> > on the computer, the temperature always starts at 40C and goes up from
> > there. I have never seen it lower even though the ambient temp is
> > well below that. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
> >
> > Dave