PDA

View Full Version : How do I boot from a SATA drive?

no spam
August 25th 03, 03:17 AM
Hi,

I have installed a Gigabyte GA-KVT600 1394 motherboard and a Seagate SATA
7200.7 80gig hard drive. I am trying to get WinXP installed onto the new
drive. My problem is that the drive is not seen in the bios. In the m/b
manual it says I need to install the correct driver for proper operation and
suggests that I download file "VT8237_SATA_Manual.pdf" from Gigabytes web
site. Well, I don't know where it is hidden but I cannot seem to find that
file at their web site. I have sent them an email, but as yet have not
heard from them.

Its seems that it is putting the cart before the donkey if I need to load
drivers to get the drive to work. How can this be done without first

Thanks,
Shane

mouse777
August 25th 03, 04:23 AM
You won't be able to see the device from the bios, you have to enable the
Onboard H/W Serial ATA & Serial ATA Function to [BASE]. Now you would see
the device in POST. To install windows into the SATA drive you need to have
the driver, adn can be found in the CD Rom that came with the board. Copy
the file/s onto a Floppy.
For windows xp fresh install:
1. Boot windows XP from CD Rom.
2. When the blue scren appears and asked you if you have any third party
device drivers hit F8.
3. Sceen would show Sil ATA 3112a select it and follow the prompt to
install.
4. now you could install winxp as if it was a PATA.

note: if you have other PATA hard drives I recommend you detach it first
before installing, because for some reason, windows would not assign drive
C: to SATA forcing it to a PATA. Just attached the drive after you've
installed windows XP.

"no spam" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi,
>
> I have installed a Gigabyte GA-KVT600 1394 motherboard and a Seagate SATA
> 7200.7 80gig hard drive. I am trying to get WinXP installed onto the new
> drive. My problem is that the drive is not seen in the bios. In the m/b
> manual it says I need to install the correct driver for proper operation
and
> suggests that I download file "VT8237_SATA_Manual.pdf" from Gigabytes web
> site. Well, I don't know where it is hidden but I cannot seem to find
that
> file at their web site. I have sent them an email, but as yet have not
> heard from them.
>
> Its seems that it is putting the cart before the donkey if I need to load
> drivers to get the drive to work. How can this be done without first
>
> Thanks,
> Shane

no spam
August 26th 03, 02:03 AM
Hello,

I have tried to install Windows XP using drivers on a floppy that I copied
from the motherboard's installation CD. When my computer boots to the WinXP
CD, I hit the 'F6' key and am able to install the SATA drivers for the
installation up to the point when Windows re-boots the machine.

Again, the system bios does not see the hard drive and I end up going
through the same routine again with the machine booting from the WinXP
installation CD.

I have ensured that the "OnChip Serial ATA" is enabled in the bios.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thankyou