PDA

View Full Version : Re: 8KNXP with 2.8G P4 and 1 Gb: How big a powers upply?

Bob Davis
August 24th 03, 02:22 PM
I have the same mobo and CPU you're contemplating, only with 2gb RAM, a
Matrox G450, on-board sound, CD, CD-RW, Zip, and 2-3 HD's installed. Check
this out: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

My system configures out to require 400-430w, depending on whether or not I
have a third drive installed in my mobil rack. I have an Antec Truepower
480w, and I'd think a TP 430w would be good insurance for you.

"Jack Corsen" > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm going to be putting together a P4 system using a 8KNXP mb with a
> 2.8GHz 800Mhz FSB P4 and 1 Gb of RAM. I'm hoping to put it in a 2-year-
> old Antec case with a 300 Watt PSU. Is that likely to be enough if I
> have two HDs, a CD-RW an ATI 9800 and an Audigy?

Timothy Drouillard
August 24th 03, 03:17 PM
I don't think a typical 300 watt will be quite enough here.

I also think you'd be far better off with somewhere around a 430-450 watt
PS.

Your PS is once place where you shouldn't scrimp. Spend a few more dollars
and get a good quality PS no matter what size you get. I Happen to like the
Antec True-power line, I'm using their 430 watt version.

So far my 430 seems to be working fine, but i'm thinking of going to their
550 watt perhaps.
GA-8KNXP
3.2Ghz
2 gig DDR400 Dual-Channel
FX5900 Ultra
two WD Raptors in RAID 0
two Seagate SATA 160's in RAID 0
Plextor 52x CD-RW premium
Sony DRU-510a DVD RW
Audigy 2 Platinum

"Jack Corsen" > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm going to be putting together a P4 system using a 8KNXP mb with a
> 2.8GHz 800Mhz FSB P4 and 1 Gb of RAM. I'm hoping to put it in a 2-year-
> old Antec case with a 300 Watt PSU. Is that likely to be enough if I
> have two HDs, a CD-RW an ATI 9800 and an Audigy?

Bastard Operator from Hell
August 29th 03, 04:38 PM
I am running a similar configuration: 8KNXP Ultra, 2.8 Ghz Processor, 1 Gig
Ram, 2 SATA drives, 2 SCSI drives, 1 IDE drive, Verto 5200 Geforce FX card,
DVD Writer, CD-Rom, etc...and all works well on my 300 watt power
supply......on top of that, this machine is running 24/7 most of the time,
as I use it for video editting and then overnight rendering to divx. I did
worry at first if the power supply was going to be sufficient but opted to
try it and see what happens. I have not had a single problem yet. As it
stands, I will be adding a couple of IDE drives to utilize the IDE raid
function and will have to replace the case, and in doing so will add a
higher rated power supply. However, for your situation as you list it, if
you already have the 300 watt supply, try it, it will mostlikely work.

"Jack Corsen" > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm going to be putting together a P4 system using a 8KNXP mb with a
> 2.8GHz 800Mhz FSB P4 and 1 Gb of RAM. I'm hoping to put it in a 2-year-
> old Antec case with a 300 Watt PSU. Is that likely to be enough if I
> have two HDs, a CD-RW an ATI 9800 and an Audigy?

Jack Corsen
August 29th 03, 10:59 PM
Thank all of you who responded. I may try my old 300 watt supply
initially and see what happens. But how would you know if 300 watts were
inadequate?

In article >,
says...
> I am running a similar configuration: 8KNXP Ultra, 2.8 Ghz Processor, 1 Gig
> Ram, 2 SATA drives, 2 SCSI drives, 1 IDE drive, Verto 5200 Geforce FX card,
> DVD Writer, CD-Rom, etc...and all works well on my 300 watt power
> supply......on top of that, this machine is running 24/7 most of the time,
> as I use it for video editting and then overnight rendering to divx. I did
> worry at first if the power supply was going to be sufficient but opted to
> try it and see what happens. I have not had a single problem yet. As it
> stands, I will be adding a couple of IDE drives to utilize the IDE raid
> function and will have to replace the case, and in doing so will add a
> higher rated power supply. However, for your situation as you list it, if
> you already have the 300 watt supply, try it, it will mostlikely work.

Charlie Smith
September 1st 03, 05:06 PM
Voltages might be low (as read by Easytune, for example), excess heat from
PS, or smoke(g)....
I'd give it a try..
Charlie