PDA

View Full Version : Re: BSOD on new system?

Frans Groot
August 24th 03, 08:13 AM
"Mike Conrad" > wrote:

>Hope somebody can help me here...
>
>I have just built a new system consisting of:
> Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo w/ Athlon XP 2600 chip
> GeForce Ti 4200 8X AGP video
> 1 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
> Western Digital Caviar 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive.
>
>This was all assembled and tested by the retailer that I purchased the parts
>from and all seems fine, well kinda. System boots and detects everything
>correctly, but there are problems when I get past the first screen of the
>BIOS. The system randomly locks up while in the BIOS changing settings
>and/or in the RAID config. utility (which I have disabled now). Or, if that
>doesn't happen and I get to install Win XP from the CD drive, I get a
>problem there. After the initial files are loaded and the message
>"Preparing to start windows" appears, I receive the dreaded BSOD. The only
>info. I get from it is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and some
>info/suggestions that don't help. I am extremely perplexed by this problem.
>Is there any help out there?
>
>Mike

Most likely this is a BIOS settings problem. Try different settings
for the memory-timings in the BIOS. A bios-update might also help.
good luck
Frans

Mike Conrad
August 25th 03, 03:08 AM
UPDATE:

The system seems to be booting ok and enters Windows Setup. However, I get
a message saying something to the effect that I have no mass storage device
installed, nor can I install one. My mobo has the SATA/RAID feature which I
know nothing about. Do I need to install the drivers for this, or can it be
disabled, or something else? After I choose to use no mass storage device
(or whatever it says), I get the blue screen. Another suggestion on the
blue screen is to disable BIOS memory caching/shadowing, but I don't see any
options like this, even after hitting "Ctrl+F1". Any other help out there?

Mike

"Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> Hope somebody can help me here...
>
> I have just built a new system consisting of:
> Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo w/ Athlon XP 2600 chip
> GeForce Ti 4200 8X AGP video
> 1 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
> Western Digital Caviar 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive.
>
> This was all assembled and tested by the retailer that I purchased the
parts
> from and all seems fine, well kinda. System boots and detects everything
> correctly, but there are problems when I get past the first screen of the
> BIOS. The system randomly locks up while in the BIOS changing settings
> and/or in the RAID config. utility (which I have disabled now). Or, if
that
> doesn't happen and I get to install Win XP from the CD drive, I get a
> problem there. After the initial files are loaded and the message
> "Preparing to start windows" appears, I receive the dreaded BSOD. The
only
> info. I get from it is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and some
> info/suggestions that don't help. I am extremely perplexed by this
problem.
> Is there any help out there?
>
> Mike

Tim
August 25th 03, 03:22 AM
Where is your HDD plugged in? Is it a SATA drive? If it is make sure the
SATA controller is not set to RAID.
If it is not a SATA drive, is it plugged into IDE1? If not, plug it in
there.

Check your bios - have you disabled your IDE or SATA controller - whichever
you are using?

- Tim

"Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> UPDATE:
>
> The system seems to be booting ok and enters Windows Setup. However, I
get
> a message saying something to the effect that I have no mass storage
device
> installed, nor can I install one. My mobo has the SATA/RAID feature which
> know nothing about. Do I need to install the drivers for this, or can it
be
> disabled, or something else? After I choose to use no mass storage device
> (or whatever it says), I get the blue screen. Another suggestion on the
> blue screen is to disable BIOS memory caching/shadowing, but I don't see
any
> options like this, even after hitting "Ctrl+F1". Any other help out
there?

> Mike
>
> "Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> > Hope somebody can help me here...
> >
> > I have just built a new system consisting of:
> > Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo w/ Athlon XP 2600 chip
> > GeForce Ti 4200 8X AGP video
> > 1 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
> > Western Digital Caviar 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive.
> >
> > This was all assembled and tested by the retailer that I purchased the
> parts
> > from and all seems fine, well kinda. System boots and detects
everything
> > correctly, but there are problems when I get past the first screen of
the
> > BIOS. The system randomly locks up while in the BIOS changing settings
> > and/or in the RAID config. utility (which I have disabled now). Or, if
> that
> > doesn't happen and I get to install Win XP from the CD drive, I get a
> > problem there. After the initial files are loaded and the message
> > "Preparing to start windows" appears, I receive the dreaded BSOD. The
> only
> > info. I get from it is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and some
> > info/suggestions that don't help. I am extremely perplexed by this
> problem.
> > Is there any help out there?
> >
> > Mike

Mike Conrad
August 25th 03, 05:07 AM
Sorry for being "uneducated" as far as SATA and RAID go, but all I know is
that my hard drive is Enhanced IDE Western Digital Caviar and is plugged
into IDE 1 on the mobo. The CD-R drive is plugged into the IDE 2 plug.
I'll have to check on the BIOS settings, but that will be in the morn :^)

Thanks,

Mike

"Tim" > wrote in message ...
> Where is your HDD plugged in? Is it a SATA drive? If it is make sure the
> SATA controller is not set to RAID.
> If it is not a SATA drive, is it plugged into IDE1? If not, plug it in
> there.
>
> Check your bios - have you disabled your IDE or SATA controller -
whichever
> you are using?
>
> - Tim
>

> "Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> > UPDATE:
> >
> > The system seems to be booting ok and enters Windows Setup. However, I
> get
> > a message saying something to the effect that I have no mass storage
> device
> > installed, nor can I install one. My mobo has the SATA/RAID feature
which
> > know nothing about. Do I need to install the drivers for this, or can
it
> be
> > disabled, or something else? After I choose to use no mass storage
device
> > (or whatever it says), I get the blue screen. Another suggestion on the
> > blue screen is to disable BIOS memory caching/shadowing, but I don't see
> any
> > options like this, even after hitting "Ctrl+F1". Any other help out
> there?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> > > Hope somebody can help me here...
> > >
> > > I have just built a new system consisting of:
> > > Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo w/ Athlon XP 2600 chip
> > > GeForce Ti 4200 8X AGP video
> > > 1 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
> > > Western Digital Caviar 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive.
> > >
> > > This was all assembled and tested by the retailer that I purchased the
> > parts
> > > from and all seems fine, well kinda. System boots and detects
> everything
> > > correctly, but there are problems when I get past the first screen of
> the
> > > BIOS. The system randomly locks up while in the BIOS changing
settings
> > > and/or in the RAID config. utility (which I have disabled now). Or,
if
> > that
> > > doesn't happen and I get to install Win XP from the CD drive, I get a
> > > problem there. After the initial files are loaded and the message
> > > "Preparing to start windows" appears, I receive the dreaded BSOD. The
> > only
> > > info. I get from it is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and some
> > > info/suggestions that don't help. I am extremely perplexed by this
> > problem.
> > > Is there any help out there?
> > >
> > > Mike

Mike Conrad
August 27th 03, 02:08 AM
OK, tried something else, and got an interesting reaction.

I took the hard drive out of my working computer (this one) and connected it
to the new system. When it was ready to show the windows splash screen, i
saw a bsod flicker and the system restarted itself. Does this mean
anything?

Mike

"Tim" > wrote in message ...
> Where is your HDD plugged in? Is it a SATA drive? If it is make sure the
> SATA controller is not set to RAID.
> If it is not a SATA drive, is it plugged into IDE1? If not, plug it in
> there.
>
> Check your bios - have you disabled your IDE or SATA controller -
whichever
> you are using?
>
> - Tim
>

> "Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> > UPDATE:
> >
> > The system seems to be booting ok and enters Windows Setup. However, I
> get
> > a message saying something to the effect that I have no mass storage
> device
> > installed, nor can I install one. My mobo has the SATA/RAID feature
which
> > know nothing about. Do I need to install the drivers for this, or can
it
> be
> > disabled, or something else? After I choose to use no mass storage
device
> > (or whatever it says), I get the blue screen. Another suggestion on the
> > blue screen is to disable BIOS memory caching/shadowing, but I don't see
> any
> > options like this, even after hitting "Ctrl+F1". Any other help out
> there?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> > > Hope somebody can help me here...
> > >
> > > I have just built a new system consisting of:
> > > Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo w/ Athlon XP 2600 chip
> > > GeForce Ti 4200 8X AGP video
> > > 1 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
> > > Western Digital Caviar 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive.
> > >
> > > This was all assembled and tested by the retailer that I purchased the
> > parts
> > > from and all seems fine, well kinda. System boots and detects
> everything
> > > correctly, but there are problems when I get past the first screen of
> the
> > > BIOS. The system randomly locks up while in the BIOS changing
settings
> > > and/or in the RAID config. utility (which I have disabled now). Or,
if
> > that
> > > doesn't happen and I get to install Win XP from the CD drive, I get a
> > > problem there. After the initial files are loaded and the message
> > > "Preparing to start windows" appears, I receive the dreaded BSOD. The
> > only
> > > info. I get from it is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and some
> > > info/suggestions that don't help. I am extremely perplexed by this
> > problem.
> > > Is there any help out there?
> > >
> > > Mike

BBunny
August 27th 03, 02:38 AM
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:37:58 +0000, Mike Conrad wrote:

> Thanks for all the tips, Tim. I tried everything imaginable, but still no
> luck. Here's what I've got:
>
> HD is plugged in to IDE 1 (which is a different color from the other IDE
> plugs...)
> Cable is plugged in the right way and in the end of the cable, not the
> middle
> All RAID and other frilly stuff is disabled in BIOS
> HD is detected in BIOS correctly as primary master
> All stuff that I'm not sure of is set to "AUTO"
> There is a setting, "Onboard H/W Serial ATA" which can be set to RAID or
> BASE. I have tried RAID, BASE, and DISABLED
>
> All settings allow me to get to Windows Setup from the CD, but it's at that
> point that weird things happen:
>
> Sometimes the install just freezes as the initial files are being loaded,
> reboot necessary <---- most often
> Sometimes I get to the "Starting Windows" dialog, just in time to get the
> blue screen
> Sometimes I get to the same point, but the system just restarts on its own
>
> I really don't know what else to try. I have never had this much trouble
> with a system before and am getting very frustrated :( The only consolation
> is that my hard drive and CD drive are detected correctly, and always have
> been. At least that's something to work on...
>
> Any more suggestions?
>
> Mike

snip snip for brevity

I don't know why all the talk about SATA. Your problem as read by me is
when windows tries to load setup into ramdisk that it fails. Or starting
windows when the OS tries to copy files to the HDD. Problem = RAM, CPU or
Mainboard. Give memtest86 a shot. It sure reads like RAM.
good luck

Michael Conrad
August 30th 03, 01:49 AM
Thanks for all the help folks...

I tested the RAM one stick at a time and everything worked fine with one,
but not the other, so it's time to replace the other. That really sucks,
considering it's brand new, but at least everything is back to normal.

Mike

"Jose Cabrero" > wrote in message
> I would say there is nothing wrong with your IDE drive. Something else is
> the problem. Maybe memory...
>
> "Mike Conrad" > wrote in message
> > OK, tried something else, and got an interesting reaction.
> >
> > I took the hard drive out of my working computer (this one) and
connected
> it
> > to the new system. When it was ready to show the windows splash screen,
> > saw a bsod flicker and the system restarted itself. Does this mean
> > anything?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Tim" > wrote in message
> > > Where is your HDD plugged in? Is it a SATA drive? If it is make sure
the
> > > SATA controller is not set to RAID.
> > > If it is not a SATA drive, is it plugged into IDE1? If not, plug it in
> > > there.
> > >
> > > Check your bios - have you disabled your IDE or SATA controller -
> > whichever
> > > you are using?
> > >
> > > - Tim

However,
> > > get
> > > device
> > which
> > it
> > > be
> > device
> the
> see
> > > any
> > > there?

> the
> > > everything
> of
> > > the
> > settings
Or,
> > if
> The

Brett R
September 11th 03, 05:08 PM
If your getting page faults and lockups and so on, my money is on memory...
check out your memory with memtest. that will show up any problems. I did
see a quite lengthy sugestion outlining some good steps. If you have done
all that has been sugested, there should be no reason why you havent found
your problem at least.

Patience and never forget the basics,if it seems out of the question, 9
times out of 10, its usually the problem.

Cheers big ears
Brett Redfern