PDA

View Full Version : ga 7-zxe and athlon xp1800+ problems

Frank Hechtner
August 22nd 03, 10:33 PM
hi,

a few days ago i purchased for my seconf computer an athlon xo 1800 and
the gigabyte ga 7-zxe. now the following occours. as soons as the run
the system with fsb 133 mhz windows every time crashes ( if installed)
or you arenīt able to install it (during installation you geht a blue
error screen). at first i thought the ram didnīd work but i bought a new
sdram stick and the same error occours even if the fsb is set to 100 mhz
and the memory is running with 133 mhz. i flashed the board to the
latest bio and checked everything (temperature, plugged out every pci
card, changed bio to saife setup, changed the sd ram modules) buth with
no success. iīm not able to get the system running at fsb 133. does
anyone know such problems with the ga 7-zxe or has made the same
experinces...

thx

frank

llywiwr
August 22nd 03, 11:57 PM
I have a GA7-ZXE with an XP1600+ and it has always worked OK (with Windows
ME)

"Frank Hechtner" > wrote in message
> hi,
>
> a few days ago i purchased for my seconf computer an athlon xo 1800 and
> the gigabyte ga 7-zxe. now the following occours. as soons as the run
> the system with fsb 133 mhz windows every time crashes ( if installed)
> or you arenīt able to install it (during installation you geht a blue
> error screen). at first i thought the ram didnīd work but i bought a new
> sdram stick and the same error occours even if the fsb is set to 100 mhz
> and the memory is running with 133 mhz. i flashed the board to the
> latest bio and checked everything (temperature, plugged out every pci
> card, changed bio to saife setup, changed the sd ram modules) buth with
> no success. iīm not able to get the system running at fsb 133. does
> anyone know such problems with the ga 7-zxe or has made the same
> experinces...
>
> thx
>
> frank

Phil
August 25th 03, 01:07 AM
I have the AMD 2400+ working fine on the GA7-ZXE (rev 2.1)

The only trouble I've ever had with a gigabyte board restarting turned out
to be dodgy memory module but as you've already tried that option it might
be wise to look at what rev motherboard you have.

"Frank Hechtner" > wrote in message
> hi,
>
> a few days ago i purchased for my seconf computer an athlon xo 1800 and
> the gigabyte ga 7-zxe. now the following occours. as soons as the run
> the system with fsb 133 mhz windows every time crashes ( if installed)
> or you arenīt able to install it (during installation you geht a blue
> error screen). at first i thought the ram didnīd work but i bought a new
> sdram stick and the same error occours even if the fsb is set to 100 mhz
> and the memory is running with 133 mhz. i flashed the board to the
> latest bio and checked everything (temperature, plugged out every pci
> card, changed bio to saife setup, changed the sd ram modules) buth with
> no success. iīm not able to get the system running at fsb 133. does
> anyone know such problems with the ga 7-zxe or has made the same
> experinces...
>
> thx
>
> frank

GB
August 25th 03, 03:05 AM
Hi...

Yes, Frank needs to verify the motherboard version. The core is VERY
important!! Check out this link and you can see that Gigabyte has verified
CPU's with both the Palomino & Thoroughbred cores.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_GA-7ZXE.htm

The gentleman's link didn't work, so here it is again...
http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=19,E=0000000000106619987,K=7661,Sxi=14,Case=ob j(2522)

Be sure (as mentioned by another) that the CPU core is a .18u (Palomino)
if you have the ver 1.x or 2.0 mobo. The ver 1.0, 1.1 & 2.1 mobo's do not
work with the later Thoroughbred cores...and AMD has both XP1800 with
the .18u and .13u cores.

The ver 2.1 mobo CAN take some of the .13u Thoroughbred cores as long as
the FSB is 266Mhz, and not the 333Mhz. (see my link above)

As for issues...
The BIGGEST problem I've noted with the 7zxe (as stated by another) is the
memory. I purchase Kingston RAM (KVR133X64C3/128 & KVR133X64C3/256)
and haven't had any issues with the mobo.

I've built over 60 PC's with the 7zxe's for clients, family and friends over
the last
several years and found the board to be quite stable (several with the
XP1800).

As for Frank's issue...
Frank, can you give us some additional info?

Mobo version? (between the ZIF socket & the first DIMM slot)
The core of your CPU (.18u - Palomino or the .13 - Thoroughbred)
OS? and SP (if any) level?
Is this a clean install of the OS?
Video Card?
RAM brand & specs?
PCI devices installed and their locations?
Any CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or CDRW devices? If so, are they master or
slave...and on which IDE channel?
Also, where is your hard drive (master or slave) and on which IDE channel?

You've noted that you have flashed the BIOS to the latest (FAd), but did you
also go into the BIOS and reset to the system defaults?? I've found this
critical
after a flash. Additionally, (as stated previously) RAM quality is
essential and
also the type of video card that you use (3.3v or the newer 1.5v AGP). Some
video cards will do both, others only 1.5v.

Please let us know how your solution goes and if we can be of further
assistance.

Good luck!
GB