PDA

View Full Version : Putting a HS on the South Bridge - worth it?

Bill L
August 21st 03, 09:16 PM
Hi all

I have a spare Zalman NB HS and some thermal adhesive, is there any point in
mounting this on the SB of a GA-7N400 Pro or does the SB not require cooling
(well Gigabyte etc. obviously don't feel the need)?

TIA

Bill L

System spec/config
AMD XP1700+ TB(A) @ 2.2 GHz (11 x 200 1.55v)
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro (Using on-board audio & NIC) F9 BIOS
OCZ 512 MB DIMM PC3200
Sapphire 9700 (non-pro) (128MB)

GlobalWin 802 ATX Midi Case
Antec TruePower 330 Watt PSU

Primary IDE Channel
1 x 120 GB Maxtor ATA133 (Master)
1 x 40 GB IBM ATA66 (slave)

Secondary IDE Channel
Liteon 40x12x48x CDRW (Master)
Liteon 16x DVD (Slave)

OtherHW
HP 940C USB Printer
Cannon LiDE30 USB Scanner
Belkin 7 Port USB HUB
Hauppauge WinTV PCI

OS: WinXP Pro SP1

Richard Dower
August 21st 03, 11:34 PM
"Bill L" > wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have a spare Zalman NB HS and some thermal adhesive, is there any point
in
> mounting this on the SB of a GA-7N400 Pro or does the SB not require
cooling
> (well Gigabyte etc. obviously don't feel the need)?

I can't hurt to do it, i personally put a Vantec heatsink on the Southbridge
with some Artic Silver III.

How heavy is that heatsink?, maybe a thermal pad might secure it better as
there are no clips to hold the heatsink in place.

It's not gonna hurt that for sure.