PDA

View Full Version : Will GA-8PE667 Ultra take DDR400?

Danny
August 20th 03, 12:00 PM
Just checking if this motherboard is happy with PC3200?
What combinations are safe?

Danny
August 20th 03, 04:26 PM
"Jim Kent" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:00:39 +0100, "Danny"
> > wrote:
>
> >Just checking if this motherboard is happy with PC3200?
> >What combinations are safe?
>
> I have a stick of OCZ 3200 Premium 512MB running in mine. Don't
> expect the board to run at 400MHz no matter what you install in it.

So what FSB you at? I was hoping to put the memory bus to 400 and have the
divider put the fsb at standard settings.

> Best you'll do with expensive memory is to reduce your timings.

I've been recommended TwinMOS.

> Compared to generic 3-7-7 memory, the OCZ 5-2-2 increases memory
> bandwidth somewhere around 10% according to memtest readings. Stuff
> ain't cheap, 'tho, with increasing memory prices lately.

1GB will set me back 150 or so.

Rene Lamontagne
August 20th 03, 07:53 PM
"Danny" > wrote in message

> "Jim Kent" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:00:39 +0100, "Danny"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Just checking if this motherboard is happy with PC3200?
> > >What combinations are safe?
> >
> > I have a stick of OCZ 3200 Premium 512MB running in mine. Don't
> > expect the board to run at 400MHz no matter what you install in it.
>
> So what FSB you at? I was hoping to put the memory bus to 400 and have the
> divider put the fsb at standard settings.
>
> > Best you'll do with expensive memory is to reduce your timings.
>
> I've been recommended TwinMOS.
>
> > Compared to generic 3-7-7 memory, the OCZ 5-2-2 increases memory
> > bandwidth somewhere around 10% according to memtest readings. Stuff
> > ain't cheap, 'tho, with increasing memory prices lately.
>
> 1GB will set me back 150 or so.

I am running a 512meg stick of OCZ DDR3500EL at 418 on this MB, 2,2,5,7.
FSB is 167 using a Pent 4 2.4B/533 running at 3,006.
I can go a little higher but some games get flakey so I leave it at 167,

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Rene Lamontagne
August 21st 03, 02:02 AM
"Danny" > wrote in message

> > I am running a 512meg stick of OCZ DDR3500EL at 418 on this MB,
2,2,5,7.
> > FSB is 167 using a Pent 4 2.4B/533 running at 3,006.
> > I can go a little higher but some games get flakey so I leave it at
167,

> Nice.

Yes, I am quite happy with this system, running 4 HDs in raid0 and it is
reaaly fast, This is my first Gigabyte board and it Ran like a dream from
day one, I have had it for about 8 months and nary a problem.
My next MB will definately be a Gigabyte again. it sure has great features.

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Slash
August 21st 03, 06:56 AM
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:02:32 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" >
scribbled:

>Yes, I am quite happy with this system, running 4 HDs in raid0 and it is
>reaaly fast, This is my first Gigabyte board and it Ran like a dream from
>day one, I have had it for about 8 months and nary a problem.
>My next MB will definately be a Gigabyte again. it sure has great features.

Out of curiosity, are you able to do a warm or cold reboot? If you do
a windows shutdown, or hit the reset button, does it POST and boot
again? My 8PE667 Ultra is really picky... if I overclock past about
2600MHz (P4 2.4B), I can't reset - I have to power down and then power
up again each time. Really annoying...

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Rene Lamontagne
August 21st 03, 01:11 PM
"Slash" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:02:32 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" >
> scribbled:
>
> >Yes, I am quite happy with this system, running 4 HDs in raid0 and it is
> >reaaly fast, This is my first Gigabyte board and it Ran like a dream from
> >day one, I have had it for about 8 months and nary a problem.
> >My next MB will definately be a Gigabyte again. it sure has great
features.

> Out of curiosity, are you able to do a warm or cold reboot? If you do
> a windows shutdown, or hit the reset button, does it POST and boot
> again? My 8PE667 Ultra is really picky... if I overclock past about
> 2600MHz (P4 2.4B), I can't reset - I have to power down and then power
> up again each time. Really annoying...
>
> -Slash
> --
> "Ebert Victorious"
> -The Onion

Yes, it reboots fine warm or cold and on reset, never any problems on
booting at all, BTW I am using an Enermax 431 watt PSU and am using the
stock Intel HS and fan with Arctic Sivver III, Altough I did not see much
difference between Generic heat compound and AS III. My idle temp is 39 deg
C and full load running prime 95 is 54 deg C.

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Slash
August 22nd 03, 02:47 AM
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:11:03 GMT, "Rene Lamontagne" >
scribbled:

>Yes, it reboots fine warm or cold and on reset, never any problems on
>booting at all, BTW I am using an Enermax 431 watt PSU and am using the
>stock Intel HS and fan with Arctic Sivver III, Altough I did not see much
>difference between Generic heat compound and AS III. My idle temp is 39 deg
>C and full load running prime 95 is 54 deg C.
>
>--
>Regards, Rene Lamontagne

I guess it's a quirk of my board. Works fine at stock speed, but
where's the fun in that? :)

I use a Vantec Ion 400W PS, but trying a Vantec 420W Stealth, 520W
Stealth or Antec 300W PS didn't change anything. I try to keep my
computer on 24/7, so it's not too annoying, but I usually like to have
everything working smoothly. :P

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"