PDA

View Full Version : GA-8KNXP... Which memory???

Lyle Rhodes
August 19th 03, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP and it
had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to have
issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
considered?

LR

Lyle Rhodes
August 20th 03, 06:22 AM
I know there has been allot of things written about the memory problems with
this but could someone give me a success story?

LR

"Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
t...
> I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP and
it
> had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to have
> issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
> Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
> considered?
>
> LR

Darmok
August 20th 03, 11:41 AM
"Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
t...

>> I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP and
>it
>> had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to have
>> issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
>> Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
>> considered?
>>
>> LR

I have the GA-8IK1100, and started off with a couple Corsair XMS 256
MB sticks for a total of 512 MB. It ran okay, and I even got it up to
440 mhz in dual-channel mode. (this was PC3200 stuff)

However, I succumbed to the 'faster is better' theory, and bought some
Geil PC3700, 256MB sticks. I'm now running them at 466mhz in dual
channel mode ... amazing. Just works out great with my FSB set to 232
mhz on my P4 2.6 800mhz cpu, as I can run over 3ghz and memory keeps
up nicely.

The Marshal
August 20th 03, 03:20 PM
I know it gets slated because its cas latency is 3 but me and a friend are
running corsair twinx 3700 with no problems at all. I have the 1gb (2x512)
he has 512mb(2x256) neither of us have messed about with the memory timings
but it overclocks well as it 467mhz ram.

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here
>
> Ken
>

> "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> t...
> > I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP
and
> it
> > had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to
have
> > issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
> > Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
> > considered?
> >
> > LR

Lyle Rhodes
August 20th 03, 03:45 PM
Now that's more like it... I have read that Corsair does not work and
everyone is waiting for the F6 bios... I have also read that Kingston is
the only way... Opinions...

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here
>
> Ken
>

> "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> t...
> > I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP
and
> it
> > had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to
have
> > issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
> > Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
> > considered?
> >
> > LR

Bob Davis
August 21st 03, 05:31 AM
I am running Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512's in two matched sets (2gb total) and
the computer is very stable. However, see my recent post "More on 8KNXP and
RAM compatibility" where I describe a problem running Memtest86 v3 and an
email from Gigabyte about 2.6v modules being incompatible with the 8KNXP.
These Kingston modules and apparently all Kingston PC3200's are 2.6v, but
although Gigabyte specs show that only 2.5v modules should be used both
Kingston and my vendor (Mwave.com) show these modules as compatible with the
mobo. Mwave even combines them in their motherboard bundle options.

I'm confused, and although my system is very stable I worry about any future
problems that may occur from this.

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here
>
> Ken
>

> "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> t...
> > I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP
and
> it
> > had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to
have
> > issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
> > Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
> > considered?
> >
> > LR

Lyle Rhodes
August 21st 03, 05:38 AM
Can't you turn the voltage up .1???

"Bob Davis" > wrote in message
.. .
> I am running Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512's in two matched sets (2gb total)
and
> the computer is very stable. However, see my recent post "More on 8KNXP
and
> RAM compatibility" where I describe a problem running Memtest86 v3 and an
> email from Gigabyte about 2.6v modules being incompatible with the 8KNXP.
> These Kingston modules and apparently all Kingston PC3200's are 2.6v, but
> although Gigabyte specs show that only 2.5v modules should be used both
> Kingston and my vendor (Mwave.com) show these modules as compatible with
the
> mobo. Mwave even combines them in their motherboard bundle options.
>
> I'm confused, and although my system is very stable I worry about any
future
> problems that may occur from this.
>

> "Ken" > wrote in message
> > Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> > t...
> > > I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP
> and
> > it
> > > had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to
> have
> > > issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
> > > Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
> > > considered?
> > >
> > > LR

Bob Davis
August 21st 03, 05:42 AM
I tried that but it didn't help the Memtest problems. Is the "normal"
setting (or whatever it's called in the bios) 2.5v for DIMM voltage? My
email from Gigabyte says that 2.6v modules are not compatible with this
mobo, even though Kingston and Mwave both show them as being correct.

"Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Can't you turn the voltage up .1???
>

> "Bob Davis" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > I am running Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512's in two matched sets (2gb total)
> and
> > the computer is very stable. However, see my recent post "More on 8KNXP
> and
> > RAM compatibility" where I describe a problem running Memtest86 v3 and
an
> > email from Gigabyte about 2.6v modules being incompatible with the
8KNXP.
> > These Kingston modules and apparently all Kingston PC3200's are 2.6v,
but
> > although Gigabyte specs show that only 2.5v modules should be used both
> > Kingston and my vendor (Mwave.com) show these modules as compatible with
> the
> > mobo. Mwave even combines them in their motherboard bundle options.
> >
> > I'm confused, and although my system is very stable I worry about any
> future
> > problems that may occur from this.
> >

> > "Ken" > wrote in message
> > > Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here
> > >
> > > Ken
> > >

> > > "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> > > t...
GA-8IHXP
> > and
> > > it
> > have

Timothy Drouillard
August 21st 03, 05:47 AM
When I bought my 8KNXP about a month ago, I bought the MB, a 3.2Ghz retail
cpu and 4 sticks of 512meg ram.
There is nothing special about the ram, it's not Kingston, or Crucial, or
any other name brand.

The part no on each stick shows it as...
PC3200 512MB DDR
P/N: D512M400SA

since I bought it all at one time, the shop assembled the MB/CPU/ram and
fired it up to make sure it worked. It fired up just fine on the bench has
has been running perfectly ever since.

Since I bought 4 sticks at the same time, the shop did pick 4 sticks that
were all from the same lot.

I keep reading about people buying the fancy name brand ram and still seem
to have problems.

This leads some people to get the impression that this board is very picky
about ram.

Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I just wanted to give an example of someone
just using generic DDR400 ram with absolutley no problems.
No tweaking of any kind was needed. Just plug it in and go.
And yes it's running in Dual Channel mode.

"Bob Davis" > wrote in message
.. .
> I am running Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512's in two matched sets (2gb total)
and
> the computer is very stable. However, see my recent post "More on 8KNXP
and
> RAM compatibility" where I describe a problem running Memtest86 v3 and an
> email from Gigabyte about 2.6v modules being incompatible with the 8KNXP.
> These Kingston modules and apparently all Kingston PC3200's are 2.6v, but
> although Gigabyte specs show that only 2.5v modules should be used both
> Kingston and my vendor (Mwave.com) show these modules as compatible with
the
> mobo. Mwave even combines them in their motherboard bundle options.
>
> I'm confused, and although my system is very stable I worry about any
future
> problems that may occur from this.
>

> "Ken" > wrote in message
> > Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> > t...
> > > I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP
> and
> > it
> > > had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to
> have
> > > issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
> > > Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
> > > considered?
> > >
> > > LR

Lyle Rhodes
August 21st 03, 06:29 AM
Anyone tried Mushkin? Mushkin 512MB PC 3200 Level2 Dual Pack (2x256MB)
CAS2-2-2, Part# 991031 - Retail

"Timothy Drouillard" > wrote in message
> When I bought my 8KNXP about a month ago, I bought the MB, a 3.2Ghz retail
> cpu and 4 sticks of 512meg ram.
> There is nothing special about the ram, it's not Kingston, or Crucial, or
> any other name brand.
>
> The part no on each stick shows it as...
> PC3200 512MB DDR
> P/N: D512M400SA
>
> since I bought it all at one time, the shop assembled the MB/CPU/ram and
> fired it up to make sure it worked. It fired up just fine on the bench has
> has been running perfectly ever since.
>
> Since I bought 4 sticks at the same time, the shop did pick 4 sticks that
> were all from the same lot.
>
> I keep reading about people buying the fancy name brand ram and still seem
> to have problems.
>
> This leads some people to get the impression that this board is very picky
> about ram.
>
> Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I just wanted to give an example of someone
> just using generic DDR400 ram with absolutley no problems.
> No tweaking of any kind was needed. Just plug it in and go.
> And yes it's running in Dual Channel mode.
>
> "Bob Davis" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > I am running Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512's in two matched sets (2gb total)
> and
> > the computer is very stable. However, see my recent post "More on 8KNXP
> and
> > RAM compatibility" where I describe a problem running Memtest86 v3 and
an
> > email from Gigabyte about 2.6v modules being incompatible with the
8KNXP.
> > These Kingston modules and apparently all Kingston PC3200's are 2.6v,
but
> > although Gigabyte specs show that only 2.5v modules should be used both
> > Kingston and my vendor (Mwave.com) show these modules as compatible with
> the
> > mobo. Mwave even combines them in their motherboard bundle options.
> >
> > I'm confused, and although my system is very stable I worry about any
> future
> > problems that may occur from this.
> >

> > "Ken" > wrote in message
> > > Ive got corsair xms 3500C2 memory. Working fine here
> > >
> > > Ken
> > >

> > > "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> > > t...
GA-8IHXP
> > and
> > > it
> > have

Ernest
August 23rd 03, 02:59 AM
"Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
t...
> I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP and
it
> had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to have
> issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
> Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
> considered?
>
> LR

How about using regular memory. I have only seen complaints about memory
when people try special or high speed memory. I have used this board with a
2.53G 533 & 2 512 DDR 333 regular Crucial memory-NO PROBLEMS, even OC. Now
have 2.8G 800 with 2 DDR 400 512 sticks GEIL-NO PROBLEMS. I heard of many
complaints with Kingston, so I have never bought it. Just my $0.02.

Ernest
August 23rd 03, 03:02 AM
"Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
t...
> I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP and
it
> had memory issues...

Also, had this board, NO PROBLEMS. Now a GA-8KNXP had 8xAGP problems with me
though.

sig666
August 23rd 03, 03:38 PM
I am running 2 512MB sticks of Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT in my GA-8KNXP
UKTRA and it is running perfectly.
All I did was increase the memory voltage by 0.2 volts.
==================

Lyle Rhodes wrote:
> I know there has been allot of things written about the memory problems with
> this but could someone give me a success story?
>
> LR
>

> "Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
> t...
>
>>I'm thinking of making the leap again... Last time with the GA-8IHXP and
>
> it
>
>>had memory issues... Now I'm looking at the 8KNXP and it appears to have
>>issues as well... I read the Kingston 3500 is the way to go and that
>>Corsair is not... Is that correct??? What other brands should be
>>considered?
>>
>>LR

Bastard Operator from Hell
August 29th 03, 04:58 PM
I am running PNY Optima RAM (2-512Meg sticks) and all works well.