PDA

View Full Version : GA-7KNXP: ITE HDD problems, help please

pagefault
August 19th 03, 12:49 AM
I have a problem doing large amounts of disk I/O from ITE drive to ITE drive
in DOS. By ITE drive I merely mean the Gigaraid ITE controller used in ATA
mode.

WHY in DOS you ask? Well, I use Powerquest Drive Image to create image files
in DOS, and I have found that if both source and target HDDs are on the ITE
controller (set to ATA in the BIOS), I cannot create an image. In fact it
trashed the target partition completely. I have not yet confirmed if having
both HDDs on the ICH5R IDE channels works in DOS- I will do so ASAP, but
time is lacking presently.

relevant specs:
GA-8KNXP F6K BIOS
P4 3.0 800 FSB
2 HDDs- both confirmed working, ARE FINE IN WINDOWS
Corsair PC3200 DDR400 RAM (being RMAed, works ok only @DDR333 and @DDR266).

My questions are:

a) Has anyone tried this with the GA-8KNXP in DOS, that is to say extensive
disk I/O from ITE channel to ITE channel? Any problems?

b) Since my HDDs are FINE in Windows, is this an ITE BIOS issue? Or is this
the mobo's BIOS issue? What can be responsible?

I have defective RAM, which seems fine @ DDR 266 but fails memtest86 @
DDR400. I am RMAing this RAM now. It's Corsair DDR400, 512 MB x 2. I wonder
if those defective sticks could be the problem...memtest86 seemed OK with
the RAM @ DDR266. I left 3D Mark 2003 looping for 9 hours with no problems.
Next I'll try memtest86 all day long perhaps.

I did a lot of disk to disk I/O from Windows, with no hitched. I even
verified the copying of a 2 GB file via WinSFV generated checksums....I'm at
a loss. Any other ideas? or does it plain sound like a crapped out mobo?

TIA

pagefault

Matt
August 19th 03, 01:24 AM
2GB is the limit for Fat32 under DOS.

pagefault
August 19th 03, 03:00 AM
"Matt" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> 2GB is the limit for Fat32 under DOS.

Hmm...with my trusty GA-8IHXP, I routinely made backups in excess of 10 GB
in DOS with PowerQuest's Drive Image 2002. So I don't think that's the
problem...unless there is something which I'm missing.

pagefault.

Matt
August 19th 03, 03:14 AM
"pagefault" > wrote in message ...
> "Matt" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > 2GB is the limit for Fat32 under DOS.
> >

> Hmm...with my trusty GA-8IHXP, I routinely made backups in excess of 10 GB
> in DOS with PowerQuest's Drive Image 2002. So I don't think that's the
> problem...unless there is something which I'm missing.
>
> pagefault.

Sorry about that. I was thinking of FAT16. FAT16 has the 2GB limit under
DOS. Anyway, I believe you need to check your FSB settings in your BIOS or
via jumpers. Make sure it's not overclocked at all. Some ATA controllers
don't transfer data well if the bus is overclocked.

pagefault
August 19th 03, 04:49 PM
[snip]
> Sorry about that. I was thinking of FAT16. FAT16 has the 2GB limit under
> DOS. Anyway, I believe you need to check your FSB settings in your BIOS or
> via jumpers. Make sure it's not overclocked at all. Some ATA controllers
> don't transfer data well if the bus is overclocked.

Again, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my FSB @ stock setting of 200.
I can access these HDDs perfectly fine under Windows XP Pro!! And that's
what's so mysterious about this affair. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

pagefault

Matt
August 19th 03, 07:59 PM
"pagefault" > wrote in message ...
> [snip]
> > Sorry about that. I was thinking of FAT16. FAT16 has the 2GB limit under
> > DOS. Anyway, I believe you need to check your FSB settings in your BIOS
or
> > via jumpers. Make sure it's not overclocked at all. Some ATA controllers
> > don't transfer data well if the bus is overclocked.
> >
> Again, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my FSB @ stock setting of
200.
> I can access these HDDs perfectly fine under Windows XP Pro!! And that's
> what's so mysterious about this affair. Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> pagefault

The only thing else I can think of is that the DOS portion of you Powerquest
software might be outdated. If not then an uninstall and then reinstall
would be in order. I would also check Powerquest's website.