PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Sound Card

Davek
August 17th 03, 10:32 PM
I'm getting ready to order a soundcard from Newegg. I read
at Newegg that one user had problems with the Santa Cruz
sound card not working with a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100
motherboard. I'm wanting to add the card to a Gigabyte
GA-8IKNXP. Has anyone else had success or problems with
this sound card? I'd try something from Creative but
reviews on their cards seem even worse than the Turtle Beach
card.

Motherboard: GA-8KNXP
Sound Card: VOYETRA TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ - OEM
Speakers: Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 213 speakers

Faustus
August 18th 03, 11:08 PM
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:11:00 -0500, Robert McDermitt
> wrote:

>Davek wrote:
>

>I can't speak to the Gigabyte but I've run the Santa Cruz on the Asus
A7N8X
>and the Asus P4PE. It worked perfect in both boards. Personally, I
like
>the Santa Cruz better than the Audigy 2 which I also ran in both
boxes....

Uhm...but the HW of the Audigy2 is much more advanced than that of the
Santa Cruz, isn't it?

Faustus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002

Nate
November 21st 03, 02:51 AM
Well, the user reviews of that Hercules card at www.newegg.com state that
it's 100X better than the next best creative ****blaster card. And it also
comes with an optical out. Every reviewer on their site gave it 5 stars.
I've had one of every creative card ever made pretty much. In all different
types of systems and they all sucked. Most had very annoying random popping
and clicking noises. Some would BSoD they systems.

I would say try anything else before you test your luck with a soundblaster.

Nate

"Darmok" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:32:28 GMT, Davek >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm getting ready to order a soundcard from Newegg. I read
> >at Newegg that one user had problems with the Santa Cruz
> >sound card not working with a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100
> >motherboard. I'm wanting to add the card to a Gigabyte
> >GA-8IKNXP. Has anyone else had success or problems with
> >this sound card? I'd try something from Creative but
> >reviews on their cards seem even worse than the Turtle Beach
> >card.
> >
> >Motherboard: GA-8KNXP
> >Sound Card: VOYETRA TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ - OEM
> >Speakers: Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 213 speakers
>
> Well, I'm the guy who had the problems with the Santa Cruz on the
> GA-8IK1100 MB. It ran for one day, then, on the 2nd day, while I was
> listening to the Harry Potter audio book with MusicMatch Jukebox, it
> started making a funny high pitched noise. MMJB crashed, but the
> squealing sound kept coming out of the speakers, so I re-booted
> Windows XP Pro. When it came back up, not only did I not have any
> sound, but the onboard LAN chipset wasn't working, and my ATI Radeon
> 9700 AIW was not at the correct setting. I tried moving the Santa
> Cruz to another PCI slot, but got the same results. I figured it was
> defective, and got in touch with NewEgg, and they offered me an
> exchange, with no restocking charge. I opted for the Hercules
> Fortissimo 7.1 card, which has been working for me. However, I'm not
> happy with the weak sound of the Hercules card, and, if I had to do it
> again, I'd get some kind of Creative Labs card ... either a Sound
> Blaster Live! 1024 or an Audigy or something ... I've always had good
> luck with Creative Labs cards.
>
> I guess you can get a lemon in any card, but I'd take my chances with
> Creative Labs. As long as you're buying from NewEgg, you're covered
> as far as 'infant mortality' goes.
>
> "Mirab, with sails unfurled .."

Fitz
November 21st 03, 03:19 AM