PDA

View Full Version : Re: Help with 8KNXP problems...

Bob Davis
August 15th 03, 10:12 PM
This is almost a mirror of a post I made about two weeks ago, subject
"Memtest86 errors" (or similar).
To make a long story short, I installed a second gig of RAM like you, and
Memtest86 v3 showed errors only at the very end of Test 5, and the results
were not consistent. Sometimes there would be no errors, sometimes as many
as 100 or more, all spit out very rapidly at the end of Test 5 only. Use v3
since earlier versions may not run reliably in 2gb or more. Where are your
errors occurring? What I have not experienced is the corruption you
describe.

I did further testing and found the the errors would only occur when I used
my original unmatched set (part #KVR400X64C3A/512) either with or without
the new set, but the machine ran fine. I placed the new matched set
(#KVR400X64C3AK2/1G, kit of 2) alone (1gb) and the errors disappeared, but
running the original set alone (also 1gb) or in tandem (2gb) would generate
these errors. On the basis of this test, even though they claim memory
testers can be wrong in their reporting, Kingston agreed to replace the
original unmatched sticks, and in five days I received a new matched set.

My first move after installing the new matched set with the pair of matched
sticks already in the machine, and still got errors--again only at the very
end (98%) of Test 5. However, I ran a six-phase memory tester provided by
Microsoft and it generated no errors. Further, in five days of heavy use
the machine is rock solid. I've decided to forget about Memtest86's reports
and truck on as long as the machine is stable. Kingston says that if you
can run Sandra's memory-bandwidth benchmark without problems that the memory
is not defective. I can run this benchmark and anything else without any
issues.

Keep in mind that Memtest86's own website mentions that some systems will
generate false errors, so is mine one of them? I would like to think so,
and since I can thrash the system with graphics progs, etc., and run other
memory testers without errors, I'm assuming this is the case. Then again
this mobo with the F5 bios is renowned for memory-compatibility problems,
and it has occurred to me that perhaps by upgrading to one of the F6
variants ('e' or 'k' now for the non-Ultra, I think), but am not amenable to
bios experimentation, especially betas. I emailed Gigabyte last week and to
date have received no reply. Some have received an F6 variant from Gigabyte
and have reported anomalies in other areas, so I'm inclined to stick with F5
since everything seems very stable at this point.

FWIW, I'm running the RAM at SPD, WinXP Pro, and a P4 2.8C (nothing
overclocked). Please keep me posted on your progress.

(Replace the '?' with 'c' in my email address)

"Denis Fitzgibbon" > wrote in message
> Hi I am running a 8KNXP with a P4 3G 800 fsb, XP Pro SP1 plus the latest
> patches
> with 2GB Kingston PC 3200 ram (4x512k modules), 2 x WD 40gb drives 8mb
cache
> running Raid1 using the ITE controller to boot.
> Upon starting my system chkdsk runs sometimes saying I have corrupt data.
> I ran memtest 86 V3 and it reported errors above in areas 1gb. I removed 2
> modules
> and reran the test and no errors were reported. I then replaced 2 sticks
> with the 2 removed sticks
> reran the test and no errors. Have swapped slots etc and the prog only
> reports errors when more than 1
> gb is installed.
> The bios is set to conservative settings and is the F5 bios.
> Any thoughts appreciated ?
> Thanks in advance
> Denis
>

> ---

Denis Fitzgibbon
August 19th 03, 05:22 AM
"Bob Davis" > wrote in message

> [...]
> and since I can thrash the system with graphics progs, etc., and run other
> memory testers without errors, I'm assuming this is the case. Then again
> this mobo with the F5 bios is renowned for memory-compatibility problems,
> and it has occurred to me that perhaps by upgrading to one of the F6
> variants ('e' or 'k' now for the non-Ultra, I think), but am not amenable
> bios experimentation, especially betas. I emailed Gigabyte last week and
> date have received no reply. Some have received an F6 variant from
Gigabyte
> and have reported anomalies in other areas, so I'm inclined to stick with
F5
> since everything seems very stable at this point.
>
> FWIW, I'm running the RAM at SPD, WinXP Pro, and a P4 2.8C (nothing
> overclocked). Please keep me posted on your progress.
>
> (Replace the '?' with 'c' in my email address)

Hi Bob
I tried a couple of other programmes, Sisoft Sandra and PC Burn in test and
they reported no errors.
The reason I was suspect about the ram was I have been having problems with
corrupt data.
I am running Win XP Pro with all updates and am using two WD 40gb drives on
the IDE
raid using raid1. The drives are setup as masters on each of the controllers
and although the system has
been more stable have had chkdsk run a couple of times upon startup
reporting errors.
I receieved the F6 bios today but willsee how the system goes. Also I not
going to download the
ITE Raid patch from Windows update at this stage as I have just redone the
system again.
I initially setup the system using raid 0 and it was very unstable with data
corruption happening
upon every boot and eventually the system would not boot.
Thanks for your reply
regards
Denis

Ernest
August 23rd 03, 05:30 AM
"Denis Fitzgibbon" > wrote in message
> Hi I am running a 8KNXP with a P4 3G 800 fsb, XP Pro SP1 plus the latest
> patches
> with 2GB Kingston PC 3200 ram (4x512k modules), 2 x WD 40gb drives 8mb
cache
> running Raid1 using the ITE controller to boot.
> Upon starting my system chkdsk runs sometimes saying I have corrupt data.
> I ran memtest 86 V3 and it reported errors above in areas 1gb. I removed 2
> modules
> and reran the test and no errors were reported. I then replaced 2 sticks
> with the 2 removed sticks
> reran the test and no errors. Have swapped slots etc and the prog only
> reports errors when more than 1
> gb is installed.
> The bios is set to conservative settings and is the F5 bios.
> Any thoughts appreciated ?
> Thanks in advance
> Denis
>

> ---

A few things I have noticed, WD hard drives suck. They are slow to boot on
RAID configs and have tendency to have corruption on drives. Just sent two
out for warranty, one only lasted 2 weeks from last replacement. Also, every
body I seem to notice that complains of memory problems have Kingston
memory. I have yet to buy Kingston, and by the likes of things, never will.
I have used Crucial regular oem style memory & GEIL regular memory with no
problems. The special memory sticks seem to have problems IMO.

Denis Fitzgibbon
August 23rd 03, 12:42 PM
> A few things I have noticed, WD hard drives suck. They are slow to boot on
> RAID configs and have tendency to have corruption on drives. Just sent two
> out for warranty, one only lasted 2 weeks from last replacement. Also,
every
> body I seem to notice that complains of memory problems have Kingston
> memory. I have yet to buy Kingston, and by the likes of things, never
will.
> I have used Crucial regular oem style memory & GEIL regular memory with no
> problems. The special memory sticks seem to have problems IMO.

Its very difficult with Hard Drives my pc supplier is a personal friend and
he said
that they had been having a lot of warranty claims on Seagate and the only
drive I ever had
fail was a Maxtor so that ruled those two brands out. My previous box had
two IBM drives
and my friend siad the jury was still out on Hitachi (IBM) drives since the
sale of the IBM
of the Drive business to Hitachi.
My Kingston ram is nothing special and the system since the last rebuild and
F6 beta bios has been fine.
I wanted to get Kingmax ram but it was in short supply at the time, being
downunder we have this
problem from time to time.
I have never seen Geil memory in Australia. Kingston, Samsung, Kingmax and
Hyundai are the main
name brands. Crucial is being advertised more but still a rare brand.

Thanks for the input
Denis

Ernest
August 24th 03, 12:42 AM
Denis wrote:

> Its very difficult with Hard Drives my pc supplier is a personal friend
and
> he said
> that they had been having a lot of warranty claims on Seagate and the only
> drive I ever had
> fail was a Maxtor so that ruled those two brands out. My previous box had
> two IBM drives
> and my friend siad the jury was still out on Hitachi (IBM) drives since
the
> sale of the IBM
> of the Drive business to Hitachi.
> My Kingston ram is nothing special and the system since the last rebuild
and
> F6 beta bios has been fine.
> I wanted to get Kingmax ram but it was in short supply at the time, being
> downunder we have this
> problem from time to time.
> I have never seen Geil memory in Australia. Kingston, Samsung, Kingmax
and
> Hyundai are the main
> name brands. Crucial is being advertised more but still a rare brand.
>
> Thanks for the input
> Denis

I would use Samsung out of the choices named. I had Maxtors fail, but that
was 3+ years ago. Mainly UDMA66 type. Now ATA100 & up, Maxtor seem to have
been better. The WD drives seem to have fell off, even though they've had
better test performance results from 8mb buffers and 10k RPM Raptors SATA,
but they seem to have more problems now. Also notice that most companies
have now lowered warranties from 3 years to 1 year.

Later, Ernest

HardwareTek
August 26th 03, 05:33 PM
I have had no problems running 4 WD 120 Special editions in a RAID
configuration for almost a year now. They have transplanted from a PE667
Ultra to an 8KNXP. Re-did the array (using the ITE onboard), re-installed
the OS (XP pro SP1) and no problems.

I am also using the Kingston DDR CAS 2.5 memory on this mobo and also have
no issues.

However, this mobo is picky about power. Use a good power supply with ample
reserves. I use a 450 watt Enermax. I am considering moving to an Antec True
Control 550 because I am at the limit of my present power supply.

Use these links to figure out your power requirements...

http://www.challenge-my.com/goopsulator/

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Later.