PDA

View Full Version : ga-7n400 Pro - no boot to bios

NewB
August 14th 03, 01:01 AM
I have been testing my new ga-7n499 Pro, with AMD 2500+ and 512MB
ddr3200

today looks like i made a booboo

History:

Since the 2500+ was rated at 333, I bought 2700ddr. When I ramped up
to spec speed, 166/333 11x for 1834Mhz, I got lots of errors with
memtest86 v3.0. I opted to exchange my memory for 3200ddr and it
passed an 8 hr memtest86 assault.

For information purposes, had I kept the 2700ddr, what tweaks would I
have had to make to make the memory run stable at spec speeds? up
some voltages? which?

bios reported vcore = 1.646, ddr25v = 2.608, 3.3v = 3.312, 5v = 4.960
and 12v = 11.541
easytune4 reported slightly different readings once i booted to
windows: vcore = 1.640, 3.3v = 3.310, 5v= 4.960 and 12v = 11.710. I
didn't see a ddrV reading in ET4.

Are these typical, and which could I, should I tweak for reducing mem
errors like i was experiencing?

Now to the current 'crisis'...

Since my 3200ddr was running fine at 333, I decided to test it at 400.
But the way I did it I think was not so good. Maybe it exposed a flaw
in the bios design, I am not sure..

The bios was set to 166mhz and 'mem freq' was 100% which gave result
of 333 for fsb. I changed 'mem freq' to 'by spd' which changed
resulting mem clock? to 400, then clicked 'save and exit.

On exit, the screen blanked and the puter emitted a long tone,
repeatedly. It seemed to be hanging, so i pressed the reset button.
The lights on the HD and CD blinked, but nothing else happened. I
pressed the power off button. Nothing happened, not even blinking
lights. I pressed and held the power switch for about 5 sec and the
system finally powered down. I pressed it again to boot up. Nothing
appeared on the screen, and the same long recurring beep started. p
102 of the manual indicates a continuous long beep as being a dram
error.

So i figured i'd go into bios and undo the change from mem freq '100%
to 'by SPD' but now I can't even get into bios. All I get on boot is
a blank screen, with maybe a blinking cursor.. not sure even about
that detail atm.

What now?

Do I need to clear cmos? How? I looked on the MB and do not see a
jumper to clear bios cmos. Do I just take out the battery for a
minute?

Thanks in advance for any hints and facts.

Ed
August 14th 03, 01:27 AM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:01:55 GMT, NewB > wrote:

>I have been testing my new ga-7n499 Pro, with AMD 2500+ and 512MB
>ddr3200
>
>today looks like i made a booboo
>
>History:
>
>Since the 2500+ was rated at 333, I bought 2700ddr. When I ramped up
>to spec speed, 166/333 11x for 1834Mhz, I got lots of errors with
>memtest86 v3.0. I opted to exchange my memory for 3200ddr and it
>passed an 8 hr memtest86 assault.
>
>For information purposes, had I kept the 2700ddr, what tweaks would I
>have had to make to make the memory run stable at spec speeds? up
>some voltages? which?
>
>bios reported vcore = 1.646, ddr25v = 2.608, 3.3v = 3.312, 5v = 4.960
>and 12v = 11.541
>easytune4 reported slightly different readings once i booted to
>windows: vcore = 1.640, 3.3v = 3.310, 5v= 4.960 and 12v = 11.710. I
>didn't see a ddrV reading in ET4.
>
>Are these typical, and which could I, should I tweak for reducing mem
>errors like i was experiencing?
>
>Now to the current 'crisis'...
>
>Since my 3200ddr was running fine at 333, I decided to test it at 400.
>But the way I did it I think was not so good. Maybe it exposed a flaw
>in the bios design, I am not sure..
>
>The bios was set to 166mhz and 'mem freq' was 100% which gave result
>of 333 for fsb. I changed 'mem freq' to 'by spd' which changed
>resulting mem clock? to 400, then clicked 'save and exit.
>
>On exit, the
screen blanked and the puter emitted a long tone,
>repeatedly. It seemed to be hanging, so i pressed the reset button.
>The lights on the HD and CD blinked, but nothing else happened. I
>pressed the power off button. Nothing happened, not even blinking
>lights. I pressed and held the power switch for about 5 sec and the
>system finally powered down. I pressed it again to boot up. Nothing
>appeared on the screen, and the same long recurring beep started. p
>102 of the manual indicates a continuous long beep as being a dram
>error.
>
>So i figured i'd go into bios and undo the change from mem freq '100%
>to 'by SPD' but now I can't even get into bios. All I get on boot is
>a blank screen, with maybe a blinking cursor.. not sure even about
>that detail atm.
>
>What now?
>
>Do I need to clear cmos? How? I looked on the MB and do not see a
>jumper to clear bios cmos. Do I just take out the battery for a
>minute?
>
>Thanks in advance for any hints and facts.

Read your mobo manual on how to clear the CMOS, usually found near the
end of the manual, it's an easy thing to do but some boards require
different steps taken.

But I think they all tell you to shut off the PSU, unplug the PC from
the wall socket if your not sure, wait a minute then proceed to clearing
it according to your mobo makers instructions.

Ed

Gibbylinks
August 14th 03, 08:18 AM
Hi
I have the same mobo, you need to take the battery out for a few mins to
clear the BIOS. Stupind way to do it, much prefered the jumper on my old
ABIT board.

Paul

"Ed" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:01:55 GMT, NewB > wrote:
>
> >I have been testing my new ga-7n499 Pro, with AMD 2500+ and 512MB
> >ddr3200
> >
> >today looks like i made a booboo
> >
> >History:
> >
> >Since the 2500+ was rated at 333, I bought 2700ddr. When I ramped up
> >to spec speed, 166/333 11x for 1834Mhz, I got lots of errors with
> >memtest86 v3.0. I opted to exchange my memory for 3200ddr and it
> >passed an 8 hr memtest86 assault.
> >
> >For information purposes, had I kept the 2700ddr, what tweaks would I
> >have had to make to make the memory run stable at spec speeds? up
> >some voltages? which?
> >
> >bios reported vcore = 1.646, ddr25v = 2.608, 3.3v = 3.312, 5v = 4.960
> >and 12v = 11.541
> >easytune4 reported slightly different readings once i booted to
> >windows: vcore = 1.640, 3.3v = 3.310, 5v= 4.960 and 12v = 11.710. I
> >didn't see a ddrV reading in ET4.
> >
> >Are these typical, and which could I, should I tweak for reducing mem
> >errors like i was experiencing?
> >
> >Now to the current 'crisis'...
> >
> >Since my 3200ddr was running fine at 333, I decided to test it at 400.
> >But the way I did it I think was not so good. Maybe it exposed a flaw
> >in the bios design, I am not sure..
> >
> >The bios was set to 166mhz and 'mem freq' was 100% which gave result
> >of 333 for fsb. I changed 'mem freq' to 'by spd' which changed
> >resulting mem clock? to 400, then clicked 'save and exit.
> >
> >On exit, the
> screen blanked and the puter emitted a long tone,
> >repeatedly. It seemed to be hanging, so i pressed the reset button.
> >The lights on the HD and CD blinked, but nothing else happened. I
> >pressed the power off button. Nothing happened, not even blinking
> >lights. I pressed and held the power switch for about 5 sec and the
> >system finally powered down. I pressed it again to boot up. Nothing
> >appeared on the screen, and the same long recurring beep started. p
> >102 of the manual indicates a continuous long beep as being a dram
> >error.
> >
> >So i figured i'd go into bios and undo the change from mem freq '100%
> >to 'by SPD' but now I can't even get into bios. All I get on boot is
> >a blank screen, with maybe a blinking cursor.. not sure even about
> >that detail atm.
> >
> >What now?
> >
> >Do I need to clear cmos? How? I looked on the MB and do not see a
> >jumper to clear bios cmos. Do I just take out the battery for a
> >minute?
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any hints and facts.
>
> Read your mobo manual on how to clear the CMOS, usually found near the
> end of the manual, it's an easy thing to do but some boards require
> different steps taken.
>
> But I think they all tell you to shut off the PSU, unplug the PC from
> the wall socket if your not sure, wait a minute then proceed to clearing
> it according to your mobo makers instructions.
>
> Ed

NewB
August 14th 03, 09:34 AM
I had a feeling I shouldn't have tried to ask about multiple things,
so I am separating the issues.

Additional information: dimms were in slots 1 and 3 and tested fine
with 400 mem at 333fsb. I assume it was in dual channel mode to
because I had a dimm in each bank.

Is the dual-channel ddr feature automatic, controlled solely by
placement of memory in separate banks per the manual charts? Is there
a way to confirm if it is in dual channel mode or do you just assume
it is if memory is installed in both banks per chart?

I would still like input on the prior questions below too, as no one
has of yet replied regarding them.

Thank you.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:01:55 GMT, NewB > opined in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd:

>I have been testing my new ga-7n499 Pro, with AMD 2500+ and 512MB
>ddr3200
>
>today looks like i made a booboo
>
>History:
>
>Since the 2500+ was rated at 333, I bought 2700ddr. When I ramped up
>to spec speed, 166/333 11x for 1834Mhz, I got lots of errors with
>memtest86 v3.0. I opted to exchange my memory for 3200ddr and it
>passed an 8 hr memtest86 assault.

[new note: memory was in slots 1 and 3 for this test]

>For information purposes, had I kept the 2700ddr, what tweaks would I
>have had to make to make the memory run stable at spec speeds? up
>some voltages? which?
>
>bios reported vcore = 1.646, ddr25v = 2.608, 3.3v = 3.312, 5v = 4.960
>and 12v = 11.541
>easytune4 reported slightly different readings once i booted to
>windows: vcore = 1.640, 3.3v = 3.310, 5v= 4.960 and 12v = 11.710. I
>didn't see a ddrV reading in ET4.
>
>Are these typical, and which could I, should I tweak for reducing mem
>errors like i was experiencing?

when i get my system working again, I would like to have the above
information as to proceed safely.

Ed
August 14th 03, 10:04 AM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:34:31 GMT, NewB > wrote:

>I had a feeling I shouldn't have tried to ask about multiple things,
>so I am separating the issues.
>
>Additional information: dimms were in slots 1 and 3 and tested fine
>with 400 mem at 333fsb. I assume it was in dual channel mode to
>because I had a dimm in each bank.
>
>Is the dual-channel ddr feature automatic, controlled solely by
>placement of memory in separate banks per the manual charts? Is there
>a way to confirm if it is in dual channel mode or do you just assume
>it is if memory is installed in both banks per chart?

PAGE 21....
Dual Channel DDR:
GA-7NNXPV / GA-7NNXP / GA-7N400V Pro / GA-7N400 Pro / GA-7N400-L1
support Dual Channel
Technology. When Dual Channel Technology is activated, the bandwidth of
memory bus will be double
the original one, with the fastest speed at 6.4GB/s(DDR400) or
5.3GB/s(DDR333).
GA-7NNXPV / GA-7NNXP / GA-7N400V Pro / GA-7N400 Pro / GA-7N400-L1
include 4 DIMM slots, and
each Channel has 2 DIMMs as following:
Channel A : DIMM 1, 2
Channel B : DIMM 3, 4

Below are the explanations:
If you want to operate the Dual Channel Technology, please note the
following explanations
due to the limitation of Intel chipset specifications.
1. Only one DDR memory module is installed: The Dual Channel Technology
can't
operate when only one DDR memory module is installed.
2. Two DDR memory modules are installed: The Dual Channel Technology
will operate
when two memory modules are inserted individually into Channel A and B.
If you install
two memory modules in the same channel, the Dual Channel Technology will
not
operate.
3. Three or Four DDR memory modules are installed: Please follow figure
1 to achieve the
Dual Technology.

>I would still like input on the prior questions below too, as no one
>has of yet replied regarding them.
>
>Thank you.
>

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:01:55 GMT, NewB > opined in
>alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd:
>
>>I have been testing my new ga-7n499 Pro, with AMD 2500+ and 512MB
>>ddr3200
>>
>>today looks like i made a booboo
>>
>>History:
>>
>>Since the 2500+ was rated at 333, I bought 2700ddr. When I ramped up
>>to spec speed, 166/333 11x for 1834Mhz, I got lots of errors with
>>memtest86 v3.0. I opted to exchange my memory for 3200ddr and it
>>passed an 8 hr memtest86 assault.
>
>[new note: memory was in slots 1 and 3 for this test]
>
>>For information purposes, had I kept the 2700ddr, what tweaks would I
>>have had to make to make the memory run stable at spec speeds? up
>>some voltages? which?
>>
>>bios reported vcore = 1.646, ddr25v = 2.608, 3.3v = 3.312, 5v = 4.960
>>and 12v = 11.541
>>easytune4 reported slightly different readings once i booted to
>>windows: vcore = 1.640, 3.3v = 3.310, 5v= 4.960 and 12v = 11.710. I
>>didn't see a ddrV reading in ET4.
>>
>>Are these typical, and which could I, should I tweak for reducing mem
>>errors like i was experiencing?
>
>when i get my system working again, I would like to have the above
>information as to proceed safely.

Gibbylinks
August 14th 03, 12:32 PM
I have two lots of 512mb in my board but didn't get the duall channel
working until I updated with an unofficial BIOS update. It now tells me when
I boot up that the Dual Channel is enabled. Try www.nforcershq.com and look
under the Gigabyte forum.

Paul

"Ed" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >>to spec speed, 166/333 11x for 1834Mhz, I got lots of errors with
> >>memtest86 v3.0. I opted to exchange my memory for 3200ddr and it
> >>passed an 8 hr memtest86 assault.
> >
> >[new note: memory was in slots 1 and 3 for this test]
> >
> >>For information purposes, had I kept the 2700ddr, what tweaks would I
> >>have had to make to make the memory run stable at spec speeds? up
> >>some voltages? which?
> >>
> >>bios reported vcore = 1.646, ddr25v = 2.608, 3.3v = 3.312, 5v = 4.960
> >>and 12v = 11.541
> >>easytune4 reported slightly different readings once i booted to
> >>windows: vcore = 1.640, 3.3v = 3.310, 5v= 4.960 and 12v = 11.710. I
> >>didn't see a ddrV reading in ET4.
> >>
> >>Are these typical, and which could I, should I tweak for reducing mem
> >>errors like i was experiencing?
> >
> >when i get my system working again, I would like to have the above

August 14th 03, 12:43 PM
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:27:46 -0500, Ed > opined in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:01:55 GMT, NewB > wrote:
>
>>I have been testing my new ga-7n400 Pro, with AMD 2500+ and 512MB
>>ddr3200

bios v. F9
[i]
>>today looks like i made a booboo

or uncovered a glitch in the bios coding?

I was running spec settings:
166 clock for 333fsb
11x multiplier for 1837mhz CPU speed
[afaik, mobo and mem is rated at 400fsb and amd 2500+ 333 so I think
my settings were conservative and not over clocked at all. then...

>>Since my 3200ddr was running fine at 333, I decided to test it at 400.
>>But the way I did it I think was not so good. Maybe it exposed a flaw
>>in the bios design, I am not sure..
>>
>>The bios was set to 166mhz and 'mem freq' was 100% which gave result
>>of 333 for fsb. I changed 'mem freq' to 'by spd' which changed
>>resulting mem clock? to 400, then clicked 'save and exit.
>>
>>On exit, the
> screen blanked and the puter emitted a long tone,
>>repeatedly. It seemed to be hanging, so i pressed the reset button.
>>The lights on the HD and CD blinked, but nothing else happened. I
>>pressed the power off button. Nothing happened, not even blinking
>>lights. I pressed and held the power switch for about 5 sec and the
>>system finally powered down. I pressed it again to boot up. Nothing
>>appeared on the screen, and the same long recurring beep started. p
>>102 of the manual indicates a continuous long beep as being a dram
>>error.
>>
>>So i figured i'd go into bios and undo the change from mem freq '100%
>>to 'by SPD' but now I can't even get into bios. All I get on boot is
>>a blank screen, with maybe a blinking cursor.. not sure even about
>>that detail atm.
>>
>>What now?
>>
>>Do I need to clear cmos? How? I looked on the MB and do not see a
>>jumper to clear bios cmos. Do I just take out the battery for a
>>minute?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any hints and facts.
>
>Read your mobo manual on how to clear the CMOS, usually found near the
>end of the manual, it's an easy thing to do but some boards require
>different steps taken.
>
>But I think they all tell you to shut off the PSU, unplug the PC from
>the wall socket if your not sure, wait a minute then proceed to clearing
>it according to your mobo makers instructions.
>
>Ed

I thought I had read the entire manual a few times, before posting,
but do admit I missed this. The manual information is ambiguous, and
not specific for this board family, much unlike the nice board
specific details elsewhere through out the manual. I found no jumper
on my board, so followed plan B and removed the cmos battery for a
while, shorted the contacts and reinstalled the battery.

This had no noticeable effect. On boot the continuous long tone was
still there and no bios boot/info screen.

On a hunch, and for no logical reason I can understand, I decided to
pull one of the dimm modules [from slot 3] and reboot. voila! With a
dimm in just slot 1, it gave 1 short beep and booted to the bios
window. I reinstalled the dimm to slot 3 and tried again. the boot
to bios failure returned.

Now things turn more confusing. I moved the dimm from slot 3 to 2,
accepting that this would kill the dual-channel ddr feature. On
power-up, it booted to bios. I changed the bios settings back to what
I think they were, but even though I had tried to clear cmos by
removing the battery, it appeared that some [all?] of my previous
settings were still there. I saved and exited bios and reboot was
normal. I shut down, moved the dimm from slot 2 back to slot 3, to
enable dual channel, afaik. On reboot it worked.

It seems that dimm location/dual channel was the culprit in
combination with the bios setting i guess. I still don't understand
it but I did get it working again.

To start testing the mem, and cpu at more than 333, would I be advised
to reduce the multiplier and start increasing the fsb from 166?

Ed
August 15th 03, 12:22 AM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:43:16 GMT, NewB > wrote:

>To start testing the mem, and cpu at more than 333, would I be advised
>to reduce the multiplier and start increasing the fsb from 166?

That's what I do, under clock the CPU and then play with the bus speed
so your really only pushing the chipset and ram. I also keep my ram at
100% (sync) of the FSB.

Ed

NewB
August 16th 03, 07:09 PM
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:27:24 GMT, Paul Kilbourne
> opined in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:43:16 GMT, NewB > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:27:46 -0500, Ed > opined in
>>alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd:

>>bios v. F9
>>[i]
>>
>>or uncovered a glitch in the bios coding?
>>
>>I was running spec settings:
>>166 clock for 333fsb
>>11x multiplier for 1837mhz CPU speed
>>[afaik, mobo and mem is rated at 400fsb and amd 2500+ 333 so I think
>>my settings were conservative and not over clocked at all. then...

>>> screen blanked and the puter emitted a long tone,

>>>Read your mobo manual on how to clear the CMOS, usually found near the
>>>end of the manual, it's an easy thing to do but some boards require
>>>different steps taken.
>>>
>>>But I think they all tell you to shut off the PSU, unplug the PC from
>>>the wall socket if your not sure, wait a minute then proceed to clearing
>>>it according to your mobo makers instructions.
>>>
>>>Ed
>>

>>I thought I had read the entire manual a few times, before posting,
>>but do admit I missed this. The manual information is ambiguous, and
>>not specific for this board family, much unlike the nice board
>>specific details elsewhere through out the manual. I found no jumper
>>on my board, so followed plan B and removed the cmos battery for a
>>while, shorted the contacts and reinstalled the battery.
>>
>>This had no noticeable effect. On boot the continuous long tone was
>>still there and no bios boot/info screen.
>>
>>On a hunch, and for no logical reason I can understand, I decided to
>>pull one of the dimm modules [from slot 3] and reboot. voila! With a
>>dimm in just slot 1, it gave 1 short beep and booted to the bios
>>window. I reinstalled the dimm to slot 3 and tried again. the boot
>>to bios failure returned.
>>
>>Now things turn more confusing. I moved the dimm from slot 3 to 2,
>>accepting that this would kill the dual-channel ddr feature. On
>>power-up, it booted to bios. I changed the bios settings back to what
>>I think they were, but even though I had tried to clear cmos by
>>removing the battery, it appeared that some [all?] of my previous
>>settings were still there. I saved and exited bios and reboot was
>>normal. I shut down, moved the dimm from slot 2 back to slot 3, to
>>enable dual channel, afaik. On reboot it worked.
>>
>>It seems that dimm location/dual channel was the culprit in
>>combination with the bios setting i guess. I still don't understand
>>it but I did get it working again.
>>
>>To start testing the mem, and cpu at more than 333, would I be advised
>>to reduce the multiplier and start increasing the fsb from 166?
>>
>I had the same problem. Try putting the memory in slots one and two.
>It is not documented, but it worked for me.

At this point, a short while after power has been restored after that
blackout, I haven't even looked to see if that system is still
working. I had left it under mem stress test when I left for work and
it was running when the blackout happened. :\

anyway.. Does it appear the breakdown might be in bios, failing if the
mem freq does not match fsb. Should a user be able to run mem at
other than fsb? or is this a common characteristic of all systems?

I can run mem in slots 1 and 3 to effect dual channel ram access, as
long as mem freq = fsb in bios. But as stated, I had to either remove
all but 1 dimms or install in only slots 1 and 2 in order to boot
after I changed mem freq != fsb.

NewB
August 17th 03, 10:45 PM
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:26:10 GMT, Paul Kilbourne
> opined in
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte:

>I also put two Sunon 80x80x38mm Tornado
>Fans in the case, bringing my fan count to four. They dropped the
>tempature to:
>CPU - about 52C and the system to 32C under a moderate load.
>
>The fans are load.
>

>I think that I was having problems with heat and that may have
>contributed to the problems I was having. I bought my fans at Best
>Byte for a lot less than any other place I have found. No, I do not
>own them nor am I related to anyone who does. I do not even no anyone
>who works there. They do have great prices on Fans.

Do the fans support rpm feedback?

My ga-7N400 pro has 2 open fan ports besides the cpu fan and the mobo
supports sense feedback. I bought 2 'generic' 3 wire fans which
plugged direct to the mobo, but both bios and easytune4 do not show
any rpm sense feedback from them, only the CPU fan. I moved the CPU
fan wire to one of the alternate fan connections and the mobo did
report it running at ~3700rpm. So I know the mobo and software is
working.

Does the 3rd sense wire on a fan 'usually' indicate a feedback design?
Or is not the sense line standardized yet? How do you know if a 3
wire fan will work on my GA MoBo?

Paul Kilbourne
August 18th 03, 01:30 AM
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:45:26 GMT, NewB > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:26:10 GMT, Paul Kilbourne
> opined in
>alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte:
>
>>I also put two Sunon 80x80x38mm Tornado
>>Fans in the case, bringing my fan count to four. They dropped the
>>tempature to:
>>CPU - about 52C and the system to 32C under a moderate load.
>>
>>The fans are load.
>>

>>I think that I was having problems with heat and that may have
>>contributed to the problems I was having. I bought my fans at Best
>>Byte for a lot less than any other place I have found. No, I do not
>>own them nor am I related to anyone who does. I do not even no anyone
>>who works there. They do have great prices on Fans.
>
>Do the fans support rpm feedback?
>
>My ga-7N400 pro has 2 open fan ports besides the cpu fan and the mobo
>supports sense feedback. I bought 2 'generic' 3 wire fans which
>plugged direct to the mobo, but both bios and easytune4 do not show
>any rpm sense feedback from them, only the CPU fan. I moved the CPU
>fan wire to one of the alternate fan connections and the mobo did
>report it running at ~3700rpm. So I know the mobo and software is
>working.
>
>Does the 3rd sense wire on a fan 'usually' indicate a feedback design?
>Or is not the sense line standardized yet? How do you know if a 3
>wire fan will work on my GA MoBo?

Yes they do. I can see the RMP's in the easy Tune application. I have
my CPU fan connected to the CPU fan connection and it reports the
speed fine. My CPU fan runs at about 2900 rpm. It is the fan that came
with the retail version of the AMD 2700 XP. It also came with the heat
sink. I am assuming that AMD packaged a good heat sink and fan with
it.

Paul

NewB
August 18th 03, 06:21 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:30:51 GMT, Paul Kilbourne
> opined in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd:

>On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:45:26 GMT, NewB > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:26:10 GMT, Paul Kilbourne
> opined in
>>alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte:
>>
>>>I also put two Sunon 80x80x38mm Tornado
>>>Fans in the case, bringing my fan count to four. They dropped the
>>>tempature to:
>>>CPU - about 52C and the system to 32C under a moderate load.
>>>
>>>The fans are load.
>>>

>>>I think that I was having problems with heat and that may have
>>>contributed to the problems I was having. I bought my fans at Best
>>>Byte for a lot less than any other place I have found. No, I do not
>>>own them nor am I related to anyone who does. I do not even no anyone
>>>who works there. They do have great prices on Fans.
>>
>>Do the fans support rpm feedback?
>>
>>My ga-7N400 pro has 2 open fan ports besides the cpu fan and the mobo
>>supports sense feedback. I bought 2 'generic' 3 wire fans which
>>plugged direct to the mobo, but both bios and easytune4 do not show
>>any rpm sense feedback from them, only the CPU fan. I moved the CPU
>>fan wire to one of the alternate fan connections and the mobo did
>>report it running at ~3700rpm. So I know the mobo and software is
>>working.
>>
>>Does the 3rd sense wire on a fan 'usually' indicate a feedback design?
>>Or is not the sense line standardized yet? How do you know if a 3
>>wire fan will work on my GA MoBo?
>
>Yes they do. I can see the RMP's in the easy Tune application. I have
>my CPU fan connected to the CPU fan connection and it reports the
>speed fine. My CPU fan runs at about 2900 rpm. It is the fan that came
>with the retail version of the AMD 2700 XP. It also came with the heat
>sink. I am assuming that AMD packaged a good heat sink and fan with
>it.
>
>Paul

My cpu fan indicates rpm too. But I bought two 3-wire fans to connect
to the MOBO at SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN, both of which have a working
'sense' pin. They ran, but showed 0 rpm in both bios 'PC Health' and
with easytune4. The 3rd wire on these fans was soldered to a PC pad
marked "S" which I assumed was for 'sense' but they did not provide
any rpm sense feedback which was readable by the mobo.

Has anyone found fans that do provide readable rpm feedback to the
sense pin?

geeman
August 23rd 03, 09:18 AM
Has anyone found fans that do provide readable rpm feedback to the
sense pin?

Yes, In reply to your above question the 2 fans I have connected to the
motherboard connecters do have their rpm's shown in Easytune4 as well as in
the bios, they aren't any special types of fan, just something I picked up
from the local computer store one's an 80mm fan, the other a 120mm fan. The
120 blows air across the board, while the side panel 80 fan blows onto the
cpu area, air is expelled thru 2 exhaust fans on the rear as well as the 2
fans in the psu. Apart from it appearing to run warmer since I updated the
latest bios to F11 it stays within it's acceptable operating temperature. I
have noticed that you have to have a good air flow around the case or rather
in the room where the computer is otherwise it (the cpu & motherboard) get's
really hot inside the case.

Cheers geeman

NewB
September 14th 03, 09:24 PM
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:18:20 +1200, "geeman"
> opined in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd:

>Has anyone found fans that do provide readable rpm feedback to the
>sense pin?
>
>Yes, In reply to your above question the 2 fans I have connected to the
>motherboard connecters do have their rpm's shown in Easytune4 as well as in
>the bios, they aren't any special types of fan, just something I picked up
>from the local computer store one's an 80mm fan, the other a 120mm fan. The
>120 blows air across the board, while the side panel 80 fan blows onto the
>cpu area, air is expelled thru 2 exhaust fans on the rear as well as the 2
>fans in the psu. Apart from it appearing to run warmer since I updated the
>latest bios to F11 it stays within it's acceptable operating temperature. I
>have noticed that you have to have a good air flow around the case or rather
>in the room where the computer is otherwise it (the cpu & motherboard) get's
>really hot inside the case.
>
>Cheers geeman

I don't get out much - and this is the first computer I have built in
years. I -think- that the 3 wire fans would be expected to have a
working sense wire, but the ones I bought from the dealer who sold my
the parts to my system did not work. I got some generic fans from
another dealer and they worked just fine, reads out about 2500 rpm in
both bios and easytune4. case on fans closed. thanks :)