PDA

View Full Version : Building PC, Questions

Scott
August 4th 03, 05:03 AM
Questions are below. It's been an experience the last 2 days. I opened the
box with my processor and 4 pins were bent. I went to the website where I
bought it and they said returns required within 7 days and it had already
been 8. Aargh! I took it to my friendly, neighborhood PC builder and he
straightened the pins and tested it on my motherboard. Set me back $42 but
I have peace of mind that the chip works and I don't have to pay for return
shipping.

I purchased a KNXP non-ultra mobo and a Xaser III Super Tower.

1) I don't seem to find a wire from a case fan to connect to the mobo
SYS_FAN. There are 7 fans in the case. I have the chip fan and power
supply fan connected. Anyone know if I'm missing a wire somewhere?

2) I think my case and mobo are slightly incompatible regarding front audio
inputs. The case was wires marked: MIC VCC, MIC IN, GND, EAR R, EAR R, EAR
L, and EAR L.

The mobo defines the front audio panel pins as follows: 1) MIC, 2) GND,
3)REF, 4)POWER, 5) Front Audio R, 6) Rear Audio R, 7) Reserved, 9) Front
Aduio L, 10) Rear Audio L.

Anyone know if/how they hook up?

3) The mobo manual lists the front USB 1 & 2 as if they were firewire. The
manual shows 2 banks of 10 pins (#9 missing) when in actuality, there is
only 1 bank of 10 pins and #7 is missing. To further complicate matters, my
case's wires for front USB expect 5 pins (USB1 fits on 5 pins, USB2 fits on
5 pins). Can anyone resolve this discrepency?

Thanks for your help.
-- Scott

Jeff
August 4th 03, 10:07 AM
comments inline...

"Scott" > wrote in message
et...
> Questions are below. It's been an experience the last 2 days. I opened
the
> box with my processor and 4 pins were bent. I went to the website where I
> bought it and they said returns required within 7 days and it had already
> been 8. Aargh! I took it to my friendly, neighborhood PC builder and he
> straightened the pins and tested it on my motherboard. Set me back $42
but
> I have peace of mind that the chip works and I don't have to pay for
return
> shipping.
>
> I purchased a KNXP non-ultra mobo and a Xaser III Super Tower.
>
> 1) I don't seem to find a wire from a case fan to connect to the mobo
> SYS_FAN. There are 7 fans in the case. I have the chip fan and power
> supply fan connected. Anyone know if I'm missing a wire somewhere?

Sys_fan is usually a fan that cuts in when temperature rises - probably just
disable in your box of fans.

> 2) I think my case and mobo are slightly incompatible regarding front
audio
> inputs. The case was wires marked: MIC VCC, MIC IN, GND, EAR R, EAR R,
EAR
> L, and EAR L.
>
> The mobo defines the front audio panel pins as follows: 1) MIC, 2) GND,
> 3)REF, 4)POWER, 5) Front Audio R, 6) Rear Audio R, 7) Reserved, 9) Front
> Aduio L, 10) Rear Audio L.
>
> Anyone know if/how they hook up?
Lucky you! ... My front panel only had single ear L & R not both..

I thinkthe pair of earL and earR are hooked up to the switches in the
earphone socket, so when you plug the earphones in the speakers go off...
you will need to see which goes where by trial and error, if you hear
through the earphones it is probably right.

try this

MIC VCC -> POWER
MIC IN -> MIC
GND -> GND
EARR -> Front Audio R
EARL -> Front Audio L
EARR -> Rear Audio R
EARL -> Rear Audio L

> 3) The mobo manual lists the front USB 1 & 2 as if they were firewire.
The
> manual shows 2 banks of 10 pins (#9 missing) when in actuality, there is
> only 1 bank of 10 pins and #7 is missing. To further complicate matters,
my
> case's wires for front USB expect 5 pins (USB1 fits on 5 pins, USB2 fits
on
> 5 pins). Can anyone resolve this discrepency?

The two packs of 5 pins make 10 pins - line them uptogether and insert - MB
makers do not yet agree on a layout

> Thanks for your help.
> -- Scott

Tim
August 4th 03, 11:05 AM
Scott,

For the USB, take a look at the manual on page 33.

For each USB, there will be a set of wires as follows:

power,
USB Dx-
USB Dx+
Gnd