PDA

View Full Version : RAM speed question

Iain Robinson
August 2nd 03, 01:28 PM
I've decided to buy a 333MHz Athlon (2500+ Barton) and I believe the FSB &
RAM are better to be in synch? Some points I'm still not sure on;

-Is there any advantage in buying PC3200 RAM, to run at PC2700 speeds?
(would it overclock better?)
-If I ran it at 400MHz would it be beneficial, as it's out of synch with the
processor?
-If I ran it at 333MHz would it still be in synch with the processor, as
it's actually designed for 400MHz?

-If there's no real benefit for going for PC3200 based on the questions
above would the difference between the faster RAM being 5ns rather than 6ns
PC2700 be worth it?

My thanks to anyone who responds. Once I am clear on these points I'll be
leaving behind my old 100MHz FSB mobo and joining you all in the fast lane!

Iain

S.Heenan
August 2nd 03, 07:46 PM
Iain Robinson wrote:
> I've decided to buy a 333MHz Athlon (2500+ Barton) and I believe the
> FSB & RAM are better to be in synch? Some points I'm still not sure
> on;

Sync is best with the Nforce2 chipset, yes.

> -Is there any advantage in buying PC3200 RAM, to run at PC2700 speeds?
> (would it overclock better?)
> -If I ran it at 400MHz would it be beneficial, as it's out of synch
> with the processor?
> -If I ran it at 333MHz would it still be in synch with the processor,
> as it's actually designed for 400MHz?

Given the same brand and grade of RAM, price differences between PC2700 and
PC3200 are nil right now. Either drop the RAM speed to 166MHz or raise the
FSB to 200MHz. Either way, keep FSB and RAM speed the same.

--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement