PDA

View Full Version : 8INXP ATA DRIVE problem HELP!!


Nate Grey
July 31st 03, 06:43 PM
Please could someone help with a major problem I'm having at the moment.

I dual boot my PC with Bootmagic to two different versions of XP. I built
the PC from new and had no problems setting this up.

I have recently decided to have a fresh install on both sides, but have run
into a problem. Everytime I install the Inf setup, Application Accelerator
and ATA 133 drivers, it moves the disc numbers around. I use the RAID/ATA133
as ATA133 for extra drives. But after the drivers are installed the two
AT133 drives on this becomes DRIVES 0 and 1. My original C drive on the IDE
bus becomes 2. This never used to do this, and the problem is that boot
magic looks at disc 1. How can I reassign the drive numbers.

In the system/hardware the two ATA133 drives are listed on a SCSI controller
(which is how it always was) and the other IDE drive as normal.

I even trying removing the partitions and having a single drive but it still
does it. The drive is fine up untill I need to install the ATA drivers (the
drives are hidden until then). I.m installing exactly the same ways with the
same drivers as I did before??????????

Any Suggestions



Gigabyte 8INXP
P4 3.06
2G ram
40 Gig HD on IDE 1
DVD on IDE 2
80 Gig HD on ATA 1
40 Gig on ATA 2

Cheers

Nate Grey
July 31st 03, 06:44 PM
Forgot to say I'm running XP Pro


"Nate Grey" > wrote in message
...
> Please could someone help with a major problem I'm having at the moment.
>
> I dual boot my PC with Bootmagic to two different versions of XP. I built
> the PC from new and had no problems setting this up.
>
> I have recently decided to have a fresh install on both sides, but have
run
> into a problem. Everytime I install the Inf setup, Application Accelerator
> and ATA 133 drivers, it moves the disc numbers around. I use the
RAID/ATA133
> as ATA133 for extra drives. But after the drivers are installed the two
> AT133 drives on this becomes DRIVES 0 and 1. My original C drive on the
IDE
> bus becomes 2. This never used to do this, and the problem is that boot
> magic looks at disc 1. How can I reassign the drive numbers.
>
> In the system/hardware the two ATA133 drives are listed on a SCSI
controller
> (which is how it always was) and the other IDE drive as normal.
>
> I even trying removing the partitions and having a single drive but it
still
> does it. The drive is fine up untill I need to install the ATA drivers
(the
> drives are hidden until then). I.m installing exactly the same ways with
the
> same drivers as I did before??????????
>
> Any Suggestions
>
>
>
> Gigabyte 8INXP
> P4 3.06
> 2G ram
> 40 Gig HD on IDE 1
> DVD on IDE 2
> 80 Gig HD on ATA 1
> 40 Gig on ATA 2
>
> Cheers
>
>

NoRemorse
August 1st 03, 02:50 AM
"Nate Grey" > wrote in message
...
> Forgot to say I'm running XP Pro
>
>
> "Nate Grey" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Please could someone help with a major problem I'm having at the moment.
> >
> > I dual boot my PC with Bootmagic to two different versions of XP. I
built
> > the PC from new and had no problems setting this up.
> >
> > I have recently decided to have a fresh install on both sides, but have
> run
> > into a problem. Everytime I install the Inf setup, Application
Accelerator
> > and ATA 133 drivers, it moves the disc numbers around. I use the
> RAID/ATA133
> > as ATA133 for extra drives. But after the drivers are installed the two
> > AT133 drives on this becomes DRIVES 0 and 1. My original C drive on the
> IDE
> > bus becomes 2. This never used to do this, and the problem is that boot
> > magic looks at disc 1. How can I reassign the drive numbers.
> >
> > In the system/hardware the two ATA133 drives are listed on a SCSI
> controller
> > (which is how it always was) and the other IDE drive as normal.
> >
> > I even trying removing the partitions and having a single drive but it
> still
> > does it. The drive is fine up untill I need to install the ATA drivers
> (the
> > drives are hidden until then). I.m installing exactly the same ways with
> the
> > same drivers as I did before??????????
> >
> > Any Suggestions
> >
> >
> >
> > Gigabyte 8INXP
> > P4 3.06
> > 2G ram
> > 40 Gig HD on IDE 1
> > DVD on IDE 2
> > 80 Gig HD on ATA 1
> > 40 Gig on ATA 2
> >

First of all, you don't need BootMagic to have two Windows XP. I think the
Windows XP boot loader can handle two versions of XP. (I use it to dual-boot
between XP and linux.). To rearrange drive letters, you could try going to
the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management. There should
be an icon tree on the left. Under Storage, there should be an icon called
Disk Management. Click on it. From there, you should be able to right click
on your drives/partitions and change the letters by using the Change Driver
Letter And Paths... option. Windows will not let you change the letter of
its boot drive, however. Those will remain the way they are.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

bob monk
August 1st 03, 10:43 AM
Thanks, but its not the drive letter I want to change its the number order.
After installing the ATA drivers those become drives 0 and 1, and the
normaly C drive becomes 2.
I prefer use bootmagic as it hides the other partition/OS, does XP boot
manager do this??? And if so how to I activate it??????

If I use partition magic to boot on the other OS by setting it as active, it
says "no drives will be active" as it looks for drive 0 to be the boot one.
I dont inderstand why its doing this now, its a clean fresh install just as
I did when I originally built it with no probs. The only difference is the
drives on th ATA ports have backup data on??
It just seems to activate the drives starting with the ATA (IDE 3&4) and
then IDE 1&2?


Help


Cheers

"NoRemorse" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Nate Grey" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Forgot to say I'm running XP Pro
> >
> >
> > "Nate Grey" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > Please could someone help with a major problem I'm having at the
moment.
> > >
> > > I dual boot my PC with Bootmagic to two different versions of XP. I
> built
> > > the PC from new and had no problems setting this up.
> > >
> > > I have recently decided to have a fresh install on both sides, but
have
> > run
> > > into a problem. Everytime I install the Inf setup, Application
> Accelerator
> > > and ATA 133 drivers, it moves the disc numbers around. I use the
> > RAID/ATA133
> > > as ATA133 for extra drives. But after the drivers are installed the
two
> > > AT133 drives on this becomes DRIVES 0 and 1. My original C drive on
the
> > IDE
> > > bus becomes 2. This never used to do this, and the problem is that
boot
> > > magic looks at disc 1. How can I reassign the drive numbers.
> > >
> > > In the system/hardware the two ATA133 drives are listed on a SCSI
> > controller
> > > (which is how it always was) and the other IDE drive as normal.
> > >
> > > I even trying removing the partitions and having a single drive but it
> > still
> > > does it. The drive is fine up untill I need to install the ATA drivers
> > (the
> > > drives are hidden until then). I.m installing exactly the same ways
with
> > the
> > > same drivers as I did before??????????
> > >
> > > Any Suggestions
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Gigabyte 8INXP
> > > P4 3.06
> > > 2G ram
> > > 40 Gig HD on IDE 1
> > > DVD on IDE 2
> > > 80 Gig HD on ATA 1
> > > 40 Gig on ATA 2
> > >
>
> First of all, you don't need BootMagic to have two Windows XP. I think the
> Windows XP boot loader can handle two versions of XP. (I use it to
dual-boot
> between XP and linux.). To rearrange drive letters, you could try going to
> the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management. There should
> be an icon tree on the left. Under Storage, there should be an icon called
> Disk Management. Click on it. From there, you should be able to right
click
> on your drives/partitions and change the letters by using the Change
Driver
> Letter And Paths... option. Windows will not let you change the letter of
> its boot drive, however. Those will remain the way they are.
>
> --
> NoRemorse
> "Expect me when you see me."
>
>