PDA

View Full Version : 8KNXP: where can i find IDE driver?

klausa2
July 30th 03, 12:22 PM
Hi,

I just bought a 8knxp. I was planning on using my existing maxtor
120GB drive with installed W2K. So I hooked it up to the IDE1
connector. POST went well, I even got a short W2K start up screen.
Then: Blue screen, INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Seems W2K doesnt like to
be transplanted from one mainboard to the other. Seems reasonable,
8knxp probabely has a different controller chip than my old asus
p2bds. Option 1: Install W2K and all applications again, or, option 2:
try to keep the old installation and feed W2K the required drivers
somehow. Guess what: I want to try option 2 ;).

At present I have no RAID installed, but I read in the raid manuals
from Gigabyte, that there are special drivers for raid on the cd, that
came with the mobo. I assume that there must be drivers for the
regular IDE connectors also, and that I can copy them to floppy,
interrupt W2K startup by pressing F6, and install the drivers from
floppy. Is that indeed so?? if yes, does anybody know, where on the cd
I can find the driver(s)? Or any other ideas on how to transplant W2K
to the 8knxp? THX. - Klaus

Boudewijn
July 30th 03, 01:03 PM
Hello,
As you said, the drivers are on the CD.
Just browse the CD, you will find them fairly quickly.
Good luck
Boudewijn

"klausa2" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a 8knxp. I was planning on using my existing maxtor
> 120GB drive with installed W2K. So I hooked it up to the IDE1
> connector. POST went well, I even got a short W2K start up screen.
> Then: Blue screen, INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Seems W2K doesnt like to
> be transplanted from one mainboard to the other. Seems reasonable,
> 8knxp probabely has a different controller chip than my old asus
> p2bds. Option 1: Install W2K and all applications again, or, option 2:
> try to keep the old installation and feed W2K the required drivers
> somehow. Guess what: I want to try option 2 ;).
>
> At present I have no RAID installed, but I read in the raid manuals
> from Gigabyte, that there are special drivers for raid on the cd, that
> came with the mobo. I assume that there must be drivers for the
> regular IDE connectors also, and that I can copy them to floppy,
> interrupt W2K startup by pressing F6, and install the drivers from
> floppy. Is that indeed so?? if yes, does anybody know, where on the cd
> I can find the driver(s)? Or any other ideas on how to transplant W2K
> to the 8knxp? THX. - Klaus

Timothy Drouillard
July 31st 03, 12:20 AM
Keep in mind that If you are using just a plain (no RAID) IDE Drive,
Gigabyte suggests that HD's go to the IDE 1 connector (Red), CD drives go to
the IDE 2 connector (White).

If you are going to use IDE RAID, the the drives get connected to the green
IDE connectors IDE 3 and IDE 4.

If you are going to use RAID, then you WILL need the drivers on a floppy to
install Windows. If you are NOT going to use RAID, no special drivers are
needed.

"klausa2" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a 8knxp. I was planning on using my existing maxtor
> 120GB drive with installed W2K. So I hooked it up to the IDE1
> connector. POST went well, I even got a short W2K start up screen.
> Then: Blue screen, INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Seems W2K doesnt like to
> be transplanted from one mainboard to the other. Seems reasonable,
> 8knxp probabely has a different controller chip than my old asus
> p2bds. Option 1: Install W2K and all applications again, or, option 2:
> try to keep the old installation and feed W2K the required drivers
> somehow. Guess what: I want to try option 2 ;).
>
> At present I have no RAID installed, but I read in the raid manuals
> from Gigabyte, that there are special drivers for raid on the cd, that
> came with the mobo. I assume that there must be drivers for the
> regular IDE connectors also, and that I can copy them to floppy,
> interrupt W2K startup by pressing F6, and install the drivers from
> floppy. Is that indeed so?? if yes, does anybody know, where on the cd
> I can find the driver(s)? Or any other ideas on how to transplant W2K
> to the 8knxp? THX. - Klaus

Ian Cockburn
August 23rd 03, 01:15 AM
Just had the same problem with mine. Just plug the drive into the
standard IDE connector First(not RAID) when Windows loads up, install
the raid drivers off the MOBO's driver cd. Then restart plugging the
drive into the raid slot. Worked for me

Ian