PDA

View Full Version : Re: Disappearing SATA drives on GA-8KNXP ?

Ackk
July 30th 03, 06:04 AM
I too had the same problem using ICHR5 and 2 Seagate 120gb SATA in
RAID0 with F5 BIOS. I called Gigabyte today and the tech I spoke with
said he knew what was wrong, that it was a known issue, and he emailed
me BIOS ver F6k which he said wasn't on their website yet. I flashed
the BIOS and now the system is solid as a rock. Also I'm now able to
run the memory (Corsair 1gb TwinX 3200LL) at CAS2 (2-3-2-6).
Previously it would POST but not boot at anything other than SPD
(which assigned the memory CAS 2.5). Just a side note here, when I was
putting this system together I had also an Asus P4C800 Deluxe and I
tried both. I couldn't even get the Asus to work until I upgraded the
BIOS for it. Then it worked fine. The Asus was noticeably faster than
the Gigabyte but then the Asus is a bit overclocked direct from the
factory. I noticed the CPU sink as well as the RAM got warm on the
Asus but not on the Gigabyte. I didn't like the fact that the P4C800
Deluxe doesn't use Intel's CSA for ethernet (though I see that the
P4C800-E Deluxe does), also the Asus didn't even come with a USB or
Firewire bracket (these are optional). I'm very happy with the 8KNXP
though I wish it had that Asus 'quickness'. I would have bought the
8KNXP Ultra as I could use the SCSI support but I figured, at almost
$400.00 for a mobo, better to wait till next year for SATA II & PCI
Express. Then the extra $$ for SCSI will be worth it. Gigabyte's tech
support has been outstanding as I've gotten to know this board. Before
I setup RAID 0 I used just 1 SATA drive and I had EasyTune4 installed.
I noticed that the Northbridge fan would only work for a little while.
When I called Gigabyte I found out that with EasyTune I had to set the
time parameters for the Northbridge fan. I set it to turn off the fan
at 23:55 and back on at 24:00. How's that for a quirk? I'm not using
EasyTune anymore, it's pretty useless except for fan/temp monitoring.

Best to all

On 28 Jun 2003 02:11:31 -0700, (Ben Kerwin)
wrote:

>I am having this exact same problem as well.
>
>2 Seagate ST3160023AS HDs (SATA 160GB) on the ICH5R controller. Both
>drives appear fine on cold start but on reboot the second drive name
>is garbage and the system doesn't see it. Power off and on fixes it.
>
>It's annoying but can be worked around... just curious, anyone seeing
>this problem with drives using the SI controller or only those on the
>Intel controller?
>
>If anyone has been able to make this issue go away I'd love to hear
>how!
>

>Ben
>

>"Brad" > wrote in message >...
>> I have 2 Seagate 120gb 7200.7 SATA drives in raid on ICH5 R - and I have the
>> same problem.
>>
>> The only difference is perhaps that at restart it sees the drive but instead
>> of them appearing as ST etc as per normal they come up as corrupt
>> descriptions like @@@@@@@@@@@[email protected]@ . Power off and restart fixes it.
>>
>> I will try tonight with my USB devices unplugged - hadn't tried that yet.
>>
>> I'm running 800mhz fsb cpu - enermax 420watt powersupply
>>

>> "Valik" > wrote in message
>> > Bit of a long shot but could it be the power supply?
>> >
>> > I've had drives and cdrom drives go off line while in windows before
>> > but not on a gigabyte board.
>> >
>> > Bought a 550w PSU and problem hasn't reoccurred.
>> >
>> > Valik

Marshall Lai
July 30th 03, 06:56 AM
What version of EZ-tune are you using? Care to email to me?