PDA

View Full Version : switch to RAID, re-install XP?

Hervey Cleckley
July 30th 03, 02:29 AM
I am installing a second WD120 for RAID. I assume it is best to do a clean
install? Can it be done with current file system intact?

Thanks

GA-7N400 Pro ver. 1.0
2500 Barton
256x2
Abit Siluru geforce
BIOS ver. f9

Big Daddy
July 30th 03, 02:48 AM
Hervey Cleckley wrote:

> I am installing a second WD120 for RAID. I assume it is best to do a clean
> install? Can it be done with current file system intact?

I'm not definite, but since you need the RAID drivers to boot from the RAID
(assuming that's what you're doing) you probably should. You must load them
during the installation of Windows.

Ken
July 30th 03, 03:06 AM
To change to raid you will lose all files on your hard disk. So need to
backup. It needs to reformat This is for raid 0 anyway. Raid 0 is what ive
got.

Ken

"Hervey Cleckley" > wrote in message
> I am installing a second WD120 for RAID. I assume it is best to do a clean
> install? Can it be done with current file system intact?
>
> Thanks
>
> GA-7N400 Pro ver. 1.0
> 2500 Barton
> 256x2
> Abit Siluru geforce
> BIOS ver. f9

Bob Davis
July 30th 03, 03:50 AM
You don't need to reinstall Windows. Just create your RAID array from your
RAID bios, clone your old HD onto the new RAID array (Norton Ghost, etc.),
and then load the appropriate Windows drivers before booting the first time.
If you intend to use your old drives in your array you may need to clone it
to another driver first, but when I did it on my old Win98SE system on a
Highpoint HPT370 controller I think it created the RAID array and
transferred the files in the same operation.

"Hervey Cleckley" > wrote in message
> I am installing a second WD120 for RAID. I assume it is best to do a clean
> install? Can it be done with current file system intact?
>
> Thanks
>
> GA-7N400 Pro ver. 1.0
> 2500 Barton
> 256x2
> Abit Siluru geforce
> BIOS ver. f9

Ken
July 30th 03, 04:29 AM
I guess that might depend what raid he's using. If he wants raid 0 then when
he sets it up it will need to be reformatted into one partition.

Ken

"Bob Davis" > wrote in message
> You don't need to reinstall Windows. Just create your RAID array from
your
> RAID bios, clone your old HD onto the new RAID array (Norton Ghost, etc.),
> and then load the appropriate Windows drivers before booting the first
time.
> If you intend to use your old drives in your array you may need to clone
it
> to another driver first, but when I did it on my old Win98SE system on a
> Highpoint HPT370 controller I think it created the RAID array and
> transferred the files in the same operation.
>
> "Hervey Cleckley" > wrote in message
> > I am installing a second WD120 for RAID. I assume it is best to do a
clean
> > install? Can it be done with current file system intact?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > GA-7N400 Pro ver. 1.0
> > 2500 Barton
> > 256x2
> > Abit Siluru geforce
> > BIOS ver. f9

Hervey Cleckley
July 30th 03, 11:26 AM
RAID 0 is what I'm going for. I will see if the GigaRAID (ITE) has a clone
feature. If not I guess it's backup-time.

Thanks