PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro

Richard
July 27th 03, 06:56 PM
Hello

I have just upgraded my PC and am having a few problems. Any help or
comments would be appreciated.

Original system was based on an AMD Athlon 500 mHz, 1287MB RAM, 10GB
HDD, CD, DVD, CDRW with PCI modem, sound, TV and network card, 1x AGP
ATI RAGE 128 graphics card running off a 250W PSU. Mainboard
motherboard. I have windows 98 installed which I am keeping.

The new system has been upgraded to the following:
AMD Athlon XP 2400 mHz
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro motherboard
256MB DDR RAM
120GB HDD
350W PSU
As the motherboard requires a 4X AGP card I am using a Nvidia 16MB
card.

The problems are
1) Processor is only reported as Athlon XP 1800mHz
2) The floppy drive light is constantly on but the floppy drive will
not read any floppies or boot up from a:\
3) After every successful boot (ie into Dos or windows off my old HDD)
when rebooted there is no signal coming from the PC the monitor
light blinks - which means no signal! If I leave it off for 15 minutes
it will work when booted again.
4) If I install my new HDD then nothing seems to work, it is
unformatted obviously.
5) The CD/DVD/CDRW are not detected in windows but they appear in BIOS

This happens even when in BIOS everything but the essentials are
disabled, including the backup BIOS. The testing setup was just one
HDD, CDRW, CD, floppy and Graphics card.

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Richard

boh
July 27th 03, 09:36 PM
"Richard" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello
>
> I have just upgraded my PC and am having a few problems. Any help or
> comments would be appreciated.
>
> Original system was based on an AMD Athlon 500 mHz, 1287MB RAM, 10GB
> HDD, CD, DVD, CDRW with PCI modem, sound, TV and network card, 1x AGP
> ATI RAGE 128 graphics card running off a 250W PSU. Mainboard
> motherboard. I have windows 98 installed which I am keeping.
>
> The new system has been upgraded to the following:
> AMD Athlon XP 2400 mHz
> Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro motherboard
> 256MB DDR RAM
> 120GB HDD
> 350W PSU
> As the motherboard requires a 4X AGP card I am using a Nvidia 16MB
> card.
>
> The problems are
> 1) Processor is only reported as Athlon XP 1800mHz
- You need to change the FSB speed
> 2) The floppy drive light is constantly on but the floppy drive will
> not read any floppies or boot up from a:\
- Are you sure you have connected to the correct part of the cable? There
are two different ways, one is twisted the other is not
> 3) After every successful boot (ie into Dos or windows off my old HDD)
> when rebooted there is no signal coming from the PC - the monitor
> light blinks - which means no signal! If I leave it off for 15 minutes
> it will work when booted again.
- Is your card a 1.5 V card? Does it have 1.5V tab?
> 4) If I install my new HDD then nothing seems to work, it is
> unformatted obviously.
- yes
> 5) The CD/DVD/CDRW are not detected in windows but they appear in BIOS

- If you have 2 CD drives. make sure that you jumpers are set correctly.
Sometime you need to "force" one to be master and the other slave.