PDA

View Full Version : 8KNXP and Zalman CNPS7000-Cu

Bob Davis
July 25th 03, 08:20 PM
I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu yesterday. The good news is that it
is very quiet and cools well even in silent mode. The bad news is that it
did not fit my mobo with DPS2 installed, despite indications from others
that it would fit. I'd say it needs to be at least 1/8" smaller in diameter
to clear when the DPS2 is installed. No big loss since I'm not
overclocking, as I probably am better off without it (less noise from the
fan and less heat generated, though probably minimal).

It does clear the RAM stick in the first slot of bank 1, but I'm not sure I
could remove the stick without first removing or at least moving the Zalman,
not that I would likely need to ever remove that stick. This HSF is *heavy*
(>700g), and it was a surprise when I first picked it up. I can see why
they warn not to use it in systems that are moved. A part aluminum unit is
available (7000-AlCu) that weighs almost half as much, but doesn't provide
the same level of cooling.

In silent mode the 92mm fan runs at a slow 1350 rpm, but I bumped mine to
1900 and didn't notice any meaningful noise increase. Temps are running
about 3C cooler than the standard P4 HSF when idling, and more when
stressed. I was having some trouble with temps climbing into the mid-60's
when running DOS apps (Foxpro or Norton Ghost), but haven't seen anywhere
near these temps since the change, no higher than 50C yet. That is the
main reason I bought it, so I guess I would label the effort an overall
success.

Axl
July 25th 03, 09:57 PM
You can always remove the fan from the DPS and run it without it. I think
the airflow from the Zalman should provide enough cooling on the DPS.

"Bob Davis" > skrev i meddelandet
. ..
> I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu yesterday. The good news is that it
> is very quiet and cools well even in silent mode. The bad news is that it
> did not fit my mobo with DPS2 installed, despite indications from others
> that it would fit. I'd say it needs to be at least 1/8" smaller in
diameter
> to clear when the DPS2 is installed. No big loss since I'm not
> overclocking, as I probably am better off without it (less noise from the
> fan and less heat generated, though probably minimal).
>
> It does clear the RAM stick in the first slot of bank 1, but I'm not sure
> could remove the stick without first removing or at least moving the
Zalman,
> not that I would likely need to ever remove that stick. This HSF is
*heavy*
> (>700g), and it was a surprise when I first picked it up. I can see why
> they warn not to use it in systems that are moved. A part aluminum unit
is
> available (7000-AlCu) that weighs almost half as much, but doesn't provide
> the same level of cooling.
>
> In silent mode the 92mm fan runs at a slow 1350 rpm, but I bumped mine to
> 1900 and didn't notice any meaningful noise increase. Temps are running
> about 3C cooler than the standard P4 HSF when idling, and more when
> stressed. I was having some trouble with temps climbing into the mid-60's
> when running DOS apps (Foxpro or Norton Ghost), but haven't seen anywhere
> near these temps since the change, no higher than 50C yet. That is the
> main reason I bought it, so I guess I would label the effort an overall
> success.

Bob Davis
July 26th 03, 02:10 AM
That's an excellent point that I had not considered. But I wonder if I
really need the DPS2, as it seems just as stable now as before. I am not
overclocking, so what's your opinion? I've heard DPS2 is of dubious value
anyway, and has some negative side effects, like generating more heat and
noise.

"Axl" > wrote in message
> You can always remove the fan from the DPS and run it without it. I think
> the airflow from the Zalman should provide enough cooling on the DPS.
>
> "Bob Davis" > skrev i meddelandet
> . ..
> > I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu yesterday. The good news is that
it
> > is very quiet and cools well even in silent mode. The bad news is that
it
> > did not fit my mobo with DPS2 installed, despite indications from others
> > that it would fit. I'd say it needs to be at least 1/8" smaller in
> diameter
> > to clear when the DPS2 is installed. No big loss since I'm not
> > overclocking, as I probably am better off without it (less noise from
the
> > fan and less heat generated, though probably minimal).
> >
> > It does clear the RAM stick in the first slot of bank 1, but I'm not
sure
> > could remove the stick without first removing or at least moving the
> Zalman,
> > not that I would likely need to ever remove that stick. This HSF is
> *heavy*
> > (>700g), and it was a surprise when I first picked it up. I can see why
> > they warn not to use it in systems that are moved. A part aluminum unit
> is
> > available (7000-AlCu) that weighs almost half as much, but doesn't
provide
> > the same level of cooling.
> >
> > In silent mode the 92mm fan runs at a slow 1350 rpm, but I bumped mine
> > 1900 and didn't notice any meaningful noise increase. Temps are running
> > about 3C cooler than the standard P4 HSF when idling, and more when
> > stressed. I was having some trouble with temps climbing into the
mid-60's
> > when running DOS apps (Foxpro or Norton Ghost), but haven't seen
anywhere
> > near these temps since the change, no higher than 50C yet. That is the
> > main reason I bought it, so I guess I would label the effort an overall
> > success.

Boudewijn
July 26th 03, 09:34 AM
Hello,
You do not really need the DPS2, but if you want to use it, you can indeed
install it with the fan removed (otherwise it won't fit with the Zalman).
The DPS really doesn't need a separate fan. I've never noticed any
difference with or without the DPS. In my view, it's more a marketing thing
from Gigabyte. And since you want to have a quiet pc anyway, one more tip.
Remove the metal (gigabyte - advertising) piece from the fan of the
northbridge. It makes the fan a bit more quiet, as it resonates less.
Good luck.
Boudewijn

"Bob Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> That's an excellent point that I had not considered. But I wonder if I
> really need the DPS2, as it seems just as stable now as before. I am not
> overclocking, so what's your opinion? I've heard DPS2 is of dubious value
> anyway, and has some negative side effects, like generating more heat and
> noise.
>
> "Axl" > wrote in message
> > You can always remove the fan from the DPS and run it without it. I
think
> > the airflow from the Zalman should provide enough cooling on the DPS.
> >
> > "Bob Davis" > skrev i meddelandet
> > . ..
> > > I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu yesterday. The good news is
that
> it
> > > is very quiet and cools well even in silent mode. The bad news is
that
> it
> > > did not fit my mobo with DPS2 installed, despite indications from
others
> > > that it would fit. I'd say it needs to be at least 1/8" smaller in
> > diameter
> > > to clear when the DPS2 is installed. No big loss since I'm not
> > > overclocking, as I probably am better off without it (less noise from
> the
> > > fan and less heat generated, though probably minimal).
> > >
> > > It does clear the RAM stick in the first slot of bank 1, but I'm not
> sure
> > > could remove the stick without first removing or at least moving the
> > Zalman,
> > > not that I would likely need to ever remove that stick. This HSF is
> > *heavy*
> > > (>700g), and it was a surprise when I first picked it up. I can see
why
> > > they warn not to use it in systems that are moved. A part aluminum
unit
> > is
> > > available (7000-AlCu) that weighs almost half as much, but doesn't
> provide
> > > the same level of cooling.
> > >
> > > In silent mode the 92mm fan runs at a slow 1350 rpm, but I bumped mine
> > > 1900 and didn't notice any meaningful noise increase. Temps are
running
> > > about 3C cooler than the standard P4 HSF when idling, and more when
> > > stressed. I was having some trouble with temps climbing into the
> mid-60's
> > > when running DOS apps (Foxpro or Norton Ghost), but haven't seen
> anywhere
> > > near these temps since the change, no higher than 50C yet. That is
the
> > > main reason I bought it, so I guess I would label the effort an
overall
> > > success.

Bob Davis
July 26th 03, 03:10 PM
"Boudewijn" > wrote in message

> You do not really need the DPS2, but if you want to use it, you can indeed
> install it with the fan removed (otherwise it won't fit with the Zalman).

Someone else suggested this, but I don't plan on returning the DPS2 to
service unless someone convinces me it will do something constructive, which
to date no one has.

> The DPS really doesn't need a separate fan. I've never noticed any
> difference with or without the DPS. In my view, it's more a marketing
thing
> from Gigabyte. And since you want to have a quiet pc anyway, one more tip.
> Remove the metal (gigabyte - advertising) piece from the fan of the
> northbridge. It makes the fan a bit more quiet, as it resonates less.

I'll try that. In a very scientific decibel test (12" cutting of a garden
hose placed to my ear), the huge Zalman running at 1900 rpm (about half-way
between lowest and highest speed) was considerably quieter than the tiny
Northbridge fan.

A friend mentioned the availability of sound-deadening material that can be
placed inside the case. I will look into this also, though this case is not
especially noisy by my standards, even with nine fans running (3 case, 2
PSU, 1 NB, 1 CPU, 1 CD-RW, 1 mobil rack).

Axl
July 26th 03, 04:03 PM
I'm not using the DPS right now and the system works as good as without.
Gigabyte claims that it makes the components last longer. I don't know about
this since the DPS is a recent invention and it hasn't been in test for a
longer period. You can always keep your DPS unplugged and plug it in if the
on-board power supply is failing.