PDA

View Full Version : Boot from SATA 81NXP

La Pedrera
July 25th 03, 04:16 PM
I purchased a SATA drive and have cloned it over (using Ghost) and now want
to boot from this drive * much faster than my old 10gb ATA one *.

I still want to have the other drive connected and accessible.

How do I change this? I see the setting in the bios for BOOT ORDER, but when
set to SATA it still just skips right over the drive.. .

Axl
July 25th 03, 08:01 PM
Where do you have your old one connected?

"La Pedrera" > skrev i meddelandet
le.rogers.com...
> I purchased a SATA drive and have cloned it over (using Ghost) and now
want
> to boot from this drive * much faster than my old 10gb ATA one *.
>
> I still want to have the other drive connected and accessible.
>
> How do I change this? I see the setting in the bios for BOOT ORDER, but
when
> set to SATA it still just skips right over the drive.. .

Bob Davis
July 25th 03, 09:01 PM
I've heard that current versions of Ghost are not compatible with SATA
drives and renders them as inactive (non-bootable) partitions. One person
has reported (not sure which newsgroup) that he was able to revive his using
Partition Magic v8, and that at that point all was well.

Does your SATA drive have disk cloning software in the package like most
modern PATA drives do? You might check, and make sure it will work going
from PATA to SATA.

"La Pedrera" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> I purchased a SATA drive and have cloned it over (using Ghost) and now
want
> to boot from this drive * much faster than my old 10gb ATA one *.
>
> I still want to have the other drive connected and accessible.
>
> How do I change this? I see the setting in the bios for BOOT ORDER, but
when
> set to SATA it still just skips right over the drive.. .

La Pedrera
July 26th 03, 04:20 AM
Right where it was originally..

"Axl" > wrote in message
> Where do you have your old one connected?
>
> "La Pedrera" > skrev i meddelandet
> le.rogers.com...
> > I purchased a SATA drive and have cloned it over (using Ghost) and now
> want
> > to boot from this drive * much faster than my old 10gb ATA one *.
> >
> > I still want to have the other drive connected and accessible.
> >
> > How do I change this? I see the setting in the bios for BOOT ORDER, but
> when
> > set to SATA it still just skips right over the drive.. .

La Pedrera
July 26th 03, 04:36 AM
Right where it originally was.. on the primary master (hdd-0 as per the bios
when I had it set to boot).
It adjusting the boot order to SATA all that is rquired, or do I have to
change the first boot device still??

If I had merely 2 SATA devices, how would it know which one to boot from?

"Axl" > wrote in message
> Where do you have your old one connected?
>
> "La Pedrera" > skrev i meddelandet
> le.rogers.com...
> > I purchased a SATA drive and have cloned it over (using Ghost) and now
> want
> > to boot from this drive * much faster than my old 10gb ATA one *.
> >
> > I still want to have the other drive connected and accessible.
> >
> > How do I change this? I see the setting in the bios for BOOT ORDER, but
> when
> > set to SATA it still just skips right over the drive.. .

Richard Dower
July 27th 03, 01:54 AM
"La Pedrera" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Right where it originally was.. on the primary master (hdd-0 as per the
bios
> when I had it set to boot).
> It adjusting the boot order to SATA all that is rquired, or do I have to
> change the first boot device still??
>
> If I had merely 2 SATA devices, how would it know which one to boot from?

I might be wrong, but i have the boot order as: floppy/CD-ROM/SCSI.
There is no option for a boot device to boot from "SATA".