PDA

View Full Version : GA-7NNXP or 7N400 ... dual channel mem with four dimms

Harry Muscle
July 24th 03, 07:47 PM
Reading over reviews, I've noticed that the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP and GA-7N400
have four dimm slots. Does anyone know if dual channel operation is
possible with all four slots filled? From what I recall, the NForce chipset
only support 3 dimm slots, which means that the only way to have dual
channel is to fill just two of them. To confuse things even more, I've read
a review or two that say, yes dual channel works with four dimms, but
other's that say there is a error correction to the manual, stating that
dual channel works with only two dimms.

Gigabyte tech support hasn't been any help, since I'm still waiting for a
response (it's been days). So I'm just wondering if anyone here might be
able to clarify things.

Thanks,
Harry

Elmo
July 25th 03, 05:10 AM
I have the 7NNXP. Dual channel will work with 3 or 4 modules if you mix both
double and single sided dimms. This is from page 21 of Gigabytes manual. Its
rather confusing, it lists the following as working:

Dual Channel Technology (DS: Double Side, SS: Single Side)
------------------------DIMM 1------DIMM 2-----DIMM 3-----DIMM 4
2 Memory Modules----DS/SS--------Empty--------DS/SS--------Empty
2 Memory Modules-----Empty--------DS/SS-------Empty---------DS/SS
2 Memory Modules----DS/SS--------Empty--------Empty-----------DS
2 Memory Modules-----Empty--------DS/SS-------Empty-----------DS
3 Memory Modules----DS/SS---------DS/SS-------DS/SS--------Empty
3 Memory Modules----DS/SS---------DS/SS-------Empty-----------DS
3 Memory Modules-----Empty---------DS/SS--------SS-------------SS
3 Memory Modules----DS/SS---------Empty---------SS-------------SS
4 Memory Modules----DS/SS---------DS/SS--------SS-------------SS

You can download the manual in Adobe Acrobat reader (.pdf) format from
Gigabytes website if you need a copy. The GA-7NNXP is a great board. I have
an XP 3000+ Barton native 333MHz running at 11X230 for 2530MHz and 460FSB at
1.90v core. This board has a few drawbacks, no mounting holes around the CPU
socket and very limited space around the CPU. I am using a Swiftech MCW5000
water block on mine and it fits with room to spare.

"Harry Muscle" > wrote in message
> Reading over reviews, I've noticed that the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP and GA-7N400
> have four dimm slots. Does anyone know if dual channel operation is
> possible with all four slots filled? From what I recall, the NForce
chipset
> only support 3 dimm slots, which means that the only way to have dual
> channel is to fill just two of them. To confuse things even more, I've
read
> a review or two that say, yes dual channel works with four dimms, but
> other's that say there is a error correction to the manual, stating that
> dual channel works with only two dimms.
>
> Gigabyte tech support hasn't been any help, since I'm still waiting for a
> response (it's been days). So I'm just wondering if anyone here might be
> able to clarify things.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Mr SUHA SIRMAKES
July 25th 03, 01:14 PM
Same here with ga-7N400 Pro..Great board...Same mem. config..It works with 2
(1st-3rd), 3 (1st,2nd,3rd or 4th) and 4 sticks...Only ONE con : One
capacitor is bit too close to cpu socket.Still ,Volcano 11+ fits nicely..

S.Heenan
July 25th 03, 02:16 PM
Mr SUHA SIRMAKES wrote:
> Same here with ga-7N400 Pro..Great board...Same mem. config..It works
> with 2 (1st-3rd), 3 (1st,2nd,3rd or 4th) and 4 sticks...Only ONE con
> : One capacitor is bit too close to cpu socket.Still ,Volcano 11+
> fits nicely..

Does the BIOS have generous overclocking adjustments ? ie manual Vcore
increase/decrease, manual AGP voltage increase/decrease, etc.

--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

Mr SUHA SIRMAKES
July 27th 03, 02:55 PM
Yes and plenty more...I've been using mine for about 2 months now with 2500+
@ 3200+ (1.67v @ 1.725v)no problem at all.This is a burger with the lot.Very
stable at all speeds and configuration with decent cooling.I'm using Volcano
11+ .I ran 3D 2003 three times in a row , played quake for 1/2 hr. , colin
mc rae for 1/2 hr , vietcong for 1/2 hr then ran the 2003 again then pc sys
mark 2002 (all at 1024x768x32b), at the end sys temp was 31* and cpu 38*
(room temp was 24*).So really i'm very happy with it.Cost me AUD
$195.Worth every cent.