PDA

View Full Version : GA-7VAXP Ultra Chipset Fan Noise

The Maxx
July 24th 03, 07:42 PM
My GA-7VAXP Ultra Chipset fan has started being really noisy. I took it off
and cleaned it out and that seemed to help a bit because it was clogged with
dust and dirt, but it's still really loud. There are times when it will
eventually calm down, but most days it just stays really noisy.

I'm just wondering, then if my machine would be okay without the fan, or is
it essential that it remain. And if it needs to remain, are there any
reommendations for a new fan that I could buy that would be silent.

Gerd Hardt
July 25th 03, 07:34 PM
The Maxx wrote:
> My GA-7VAXP Ultra Chipset fan has started being really noisy. I took it off
> and cleaned it out and that seemed to help a bit because it was clogged with
> dust and dirt, but it's still really loud. There are times when it will
> eventually calm down, but most days it just stays really noisy.
>
> I'm just wondering, then if my machine would be okay without the fan, or is
> it essential that it remain. And if it needs to remain, are there any
> reommendations for a new fan that I could buy that would be silent.

Hi,

I removed the fan one year ago. Up to now I've had no problems with my
GA-7VAXP-Ultra. It seems that the fan isn't necessary if you don't
overclock your board.

Gerd

The Maxx
July 25th 03, 10:40 PM
Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. I've just removed the fan
and left the heatsink to see if everything will go okay. I think I read
somewhere that the noise is often due to the fact that the manufacturer uses
cheap sleeve bearing fans instead of ball bearings. Oh well as long as
nothing melts I don't care.

<Jeff> wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:34:08 +0200, Gerd Hardt >
> wrote:
>
> >The Maxx wrote:
> >> My GA-7VAXP Ultra Chipset fan has started being really noisy. I took
it off
> >> and cleaned it out and that seemed to help a bit because it was clogged
with
> >> dust and dirt, but it's still really loud. There are times when it
will
> >> eventually calm down, but most days it just stays really noisy.
> >>
> >> I'm just wondering, then if my machine would be okay without the fan,
or is
> >> it essential that it remain. And if it needs to remain, are there any
> >> reommendations for a new fan that I could buy that would be silent.
> >>

> >Hi,
> >
> >I removed the fan one year ago. Up to now I've had no problems with my
> >GA-7VAXP-Ultra. It seems that the fan isn't necessary if you don't
> >overclock your board.
> >

> >Gerd
> >
> You will probably find if you remove the heatsink to replace it that
> the northbridge is a little curved and the oem heatsink barely makes
> contact with it. I would consider a passive solution like the Zalman
> chipset heatsink with a good quality thermal paste like artic silver
> cermique. You also need to have at least 1 intake fan in front of the
> case and 1 fan pushing air out in the rear....this enhances
> everything from your cpu cooler to your passive heatsink should you so
> decide...you can get the Zalman for $6 plus fgt on the Inet, or at
> compusa (under the name pctoys made by Zalman) for $10
> Good luck

Jeff
July 26th 03, 02:33 AM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:40:22 +0100, "The Maxx" >
wrote:

>Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. I've just removed the fan
>and left the heatsink to see if everything will go okay. I think I read
>somewhere that the noise is often due to the fact that the manufacturer uses
>cheap sleeve bearing fans instead of ball bearings. Oh well as long as
>nothing melts I don't care.
>
><Jeff> wrote in message ...
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:34:08 +0200, Gerd Hardt >
>> wrote:

>it off
>with
>will

>or is
>> >>

>> Yep, they use the cheapest of the cheap.....If your computer remains stable, and the heatsink is not too hot to touch....leave well enough alone.
I also think they put them on just so the board looks cool with all
the see through windows in cases these days! Hell....fans with leds. I
thought computers were to work on and play games for some....hard to
do if you are staring at all the cool gizmos meant to remove $$ from
your pocket!

I have extra cooling just because I live in the desert southwest and
it gets into the higher 70's in the house before the air conditioner
kicks in.

My Northbrifge has a fan, the Radeon Pro 9700 has a fan, there are 1
intake fan and 2 exhaust fans in the case + the 2 fans in the power
supply...not to mention the monster Delta on my coolermaster heatpipe
cpu cooler...should have bought stock in fan companies! <grin>

However my CPU Athlon 2400+ does not get over 38 degrees under load
and the case temp about 36 degrees....means a little more life for
everything I guess!
SORRY FOR THE RANT!