PDA

View Full Version : 2600 XP running at 1262 on a GA-7VAXP Ultra?

John Constable
July 24th 03, 03:25 PM
I've run some diagnostic utilities and they report my CPU (2600
thoroughbred) to be running at 1262. My bios says (my FSB?) speed is 100. I
tried to change it to 166 and it failed to boot (rebooted on its own with
setting changed back to 100)

My questions:

1) can some recommend a good diagnostic utility that will tell me CPU info
(type, clock speed etc) memory info (type, speeds etc) and all my bus
speeds.

2) What the heck is going on and can I get my speeds up to where they should
be?

system:
XP2600+ Thororoughbred
GA-7VAXP Ultra
1.5 gig ram (can't remember what tpye but I think its generic P2700 which
is why I need a good diagnostic utility!)
Nvidia (Palit Daytona) geforce FX5600 128
W2Kpro

tia

goldy
July 25th 03, 11:10 AM
try turning off top performance in Bios
What is your memory speed ?
or instance I am running 2 pny 512mb 2700/333 ddr memory chips.
the speed of the memory may have an effect on your chaning the bus speed.
"John Constable" > wrote in message
> More info:
>
> Fresh daignose tells me:
>
> Under 'Processor Info from BIOS':
> current voltage - 1.7v
> external clock - 100MHz
> maximum speed - 2800MHz
> current speed - 1250 MHz
>
> and under 'processor info':
> Freq - 1262MHz
>

> "John Constable" > wrote in message
> > I've run some diagnostic utilities and they report my CPU (2600
> > thoroughbred) to be running at 1262. My bios says (my FSB?) speed is
100.
> > tried to change it to 166 and it failed to boot (rebooted on its own
with
> > setting changed back to 100)
> >
> > My questions:
> >
> > 1) can some recommend a good diagnostic utility that will tell me CPU
info
> > (type, clock speed etc) memory info (type, speeds etc) and all my bus
> > speeds.
> >
> > 2) What the heck is going on and can I get my speeds up to where they
> should
> > be?
> >
> > system:
> > XP2600+ Thororoughbred
> > GA-7VAXP Ultra
> > 1.5 gig ram (can't remember what tpye but I think its generic P2700
which
> > is why I need a good diagnostic utility!)
> > Nvidia (Palit Daytona) geforce FX5600 128
> > W2Kpro
> >
> > tia

S.Heenan
July 25th 03, 04:08 PM
John Constable wrote:
> I've run some diagnostic utilities and they report my CPU (2600
> thoroughbred) to be running at 1262. My bios says (my FSB?) speed is
> 100. I tried to change it to 166 and it failed to boot (rebooted on
> its own with setting changed back to 100)
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) can some recommend a good diagnostic utility that will tell me CPU
> info (type, clock speed etc) memory info (type, speeds etc) and all
> my bus speeds.
>
> 2) What the heck is going on and can I get my speeds up to where they
> should be?
>
> system:
> XP2600+ Thororoughbred
> GA-7VAXP Ultra
> 1.5 gig ram (can't remember what tpye but I think its generic P2700
> which is why I need a good diagnostic utility!)
> Nvidia (Palit Daytona) geforce FX5600 128
> W2Kpro
>
> tia

Near the third PCI slot is SW1. It's factory default is 100MHz.**Page 10 of
the manual.**Unplug your PC and change it to the Auto(off) position. Plug
the PC back in and try booting.
--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

John Constable
July 26th 03, 12:49 AM
How can I check my memory speed and specs? I don't think Memtest86 does
this?

Found the mobo switch - could have sworn I had set it correctly when I
installed the board....live and learn.

The machine certainly boots a lot faster.

. ..