PDA

View Full Version : GB GA-8SG800 MB Question

Rich
July 22nd 03, 01:33 PM
good morning, all. i'm in the market for a custom built pc. the shop
that i am dealing with has suggested a gigabyte GA-8SG800 main board.
this board meets my requirement in that there are no integrated
components such as NIC, sound, video, etc. but i am not a hardware
man and was hoping to receive some advice here regarding both the
quality and reliability of gigbayte main boards/chip sets in general,
this specific board as well as any alternative main boards and/or chip
sets. as i mentioned i prefer to not have any integrated components
on the main board.

thanks in advance.

rich

John
July 23rd 03, 01:50 PM
I have built a PC for a friend base on the GA-8SG800 board and I
have also build a PC on GA-8SG667 which was the predecessor of
GA-8SG800, both board are similar in spec and it is relatively bare
bone compare to other feature packed board. The board is very,
very stable and can be easily overclocked to 150+Mhz and remain
stable. The chipset on this board is the Sis648 which will support
P4 up to 3.06Ghz with 533MHz FSB and it will also support 8x AGP.
The board does have integrated sound card on board. If you are
going for PC on tight budge this is a very good MB to get, I know
the price for this board in Australia is less than $100. But for the
extra $20 you should get the Gigabyte 648FX board which offers
support for the new 800Mhz FSB processors and it also supports
dual channel memory operation.