PDA

View Full Version : Re: Switch from 8INXP to 8KNXP

Boudewijn
July 20th 03, 05:16 PM
Hello,
Yes!
Regards, Boudewijn

"Torben Hansen" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> do I need to reinstall Windows XP if i change my mainboard from 8INXP
> to 8KNXP. They both habe intel chipsets, so I think it should give no
> problems if i just switch the mainboards. Did anyone try this / know
> if it works ?
>
> Torben Hansen

Big Daddy
July 20th 03, 08:25 PM
Torben Hansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> do I need to reinstall Windows XP if i change my mainboard from 8INXP
> to 8KNXP. They both habe intel chipsets, so I think it should give no
> problems if i just switch the mainboards. Did anyone try this / know
> if it works ?

Probably. The chipset is different. They may both be Intel, but they are
different chipsets. Also, is everything else the same? Same model RAID
controller, same LAN chip, and same everything else? Probably not. There
are revisions along the way, even if they are the same.

Lee Waun
July 20th 03, 09:25 PM
"Torben Hansen" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> do I need to reinstall Windows XP if i change my mainboard from 8INXP
> to 8KNXP. They both habe intel chipsets, so I think it should give no
> problems if i just switch the mainboards. Did anyone try this / know
> if it works ?
>
> Torben Hansen

I went from an intel brand 845 motherboard to a new gigabyte 81pe1000 865Pe
chipset motherboard and I did not have to reinstall windows XP. it runs
better now than when I had the intel board. I thought I was going to have to
install everything but I haven't had to.

And in the device manager the second virtual CPU does show up.

Maciej Donotek
July 23rd 03, 08:51 AM
"Torben Hansen" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> do I need to reinstall Windows XP if i change my mainboard from 8INXP
> to 8KNXP.

In my case (I did just change what you are going to do) it was enough to
pass
trough repair process. I kept all Windows setup.

--
md

Vincent Poy
July 23rd 03, 02:50 PM
Torben Hansen > wrote in
:

> Hi,
>
> do I need to reinstall Windows XP if i change my mainboard from 8INXP
> to 8KNXP. They both habe intel chipsets, so I think it should give no
> problems if i just switch the mainboards. Did anyone try this / know
> if it works ?
>
> Torben Hansen

No you don't. All you need to do is goto Device Manager on the 8INXP and
change the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller from what's listed back to Standard IDE
Bus-Mastering Controller so it's not chipset specific and then swap the
motherboards and boot from there and then it'll work. Otherwise, if you
don't change the IDE controller, you'll get a BSOD.

Cheers,
Vince