PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for a dumbo

Sam Kekavitch
July 20th 03, 01:36 PM
I have problems with my computer that are not related to the hard disk.

Machine has Gigabyte GA 8ST667 motherboard. Pentium 4. It was smoothly
running XP until my son turned it on yesterday. He couldn't log on. I have
checked everything I can think of with the hard disk including putting it in
another computer and reloading XP. It works properly in the other machine
but when returned to the original, the machine wont start.

I get a message that says that a problem has been detected and windows has
been shut down to protect the computer.

The stop information doesn't enlighten me.

I suspect it might be something he downloaded though he assures me that he
virus checked everything.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and positive thoughts relayed to anyone
who can help me solve this.

TYIA

Sam

blackgold
July 20th 03, 06:39 PM
Not sure what are you talking about. Why not try again.
Especially the second paragraph. Also what do you actually mean by
"reloading XP".

"Sam Kekavitch" > wrote in message
> I have problems with my computer that are not related to the hard disk.
>
> Machine has Gigabyte GA 8ST667 motherboard. Pentium 4. It was smoothly
> running XP until my son turned it on yesterday. He couldn't log on. I have
> checked everything I can think of with the hard disk including putting it
in
> another computer and reloading XP. It works properly in the other machine
> but when returned to the original, the machine wont start.
>
> I get a message that says that a problem has been detected and windows has
> been shut down to protect the computer.
>
> The stop information doesn't enlighten me.
>
> I suspect it might be something he downloaded though he assures me that he
> virus checked everything.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated and positive thoughts relayed to
anyone
> who can help me solve this.
>
> TYIA
>
> Sam

Sam Kekavitch
July 21st 03, 01:32 AM
I mean I took the hard disk out of the problem machine and put it in another
one. I reformated the disk and then reinstalled XP. It works perfectly on
the second machine but when I put it back in the original machine it starts
to boot and then gets to the error message nd will go no further.
"blackgold" > wrote in message
> Not sure what are you talking about. Why not try again.
> Especially the second paragraph. Also what do you actually mean by
> "reloading XP".
>
> "Sam Kekavitch" > wrote in message
> > I have problems with my computer that are not related to the hard disk.
> >
> > Machine has Gigabyte GA 8ST667 motherboard. Pentium 4. It was smoothly
> > running XP until my son turned it on yesterday. He couldn't log on. I
have
> > checked everything I can think of with the hard disk including putting
it
> in
> > another computer and reloading XP. It works properly in the other
machine
> > but when returned to the original, the machine wont start.
> >
> > I get a message that says that a problem has been detected and windows
has
> > been shut down to protect the computer.
> >
> > The stop information doesn't enlighten me.
> >
> > I suspect it might be something he downloaded though he assures me that
he
> > virus checked everything.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated and positive thoughts relayed to
> anyone
> > who can help me solve this.
> >
> > TYIA
> >
> > Sam

Sam Kekavitch
July 21st 03, 02:23 AM
The error message I receive is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9E48640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Muttley
July 21st 03, 05:12 AM
You should always format and re-install in the machine that it will run in.

Windows XP does NOT like being moved to a different machine after
installation.
It usually will not boot unless both machines are an identical hardware
configuration.

Try format + re-install in the problem machine.

John S.

"Sam Kekavitch" > wrote in message
> I mean I took the hard disk out of the problem machine and put it in
another
> one. I reformated the disk and then reinstalled XP. It works perfectly on
> the second machine but when I put it back in the original machine it
starts
> to boot and then gets to the error message nd will go no further.
> "blackgold" > wrote in message
> > Not sure what are you talking about. Why not try again.
> > Especially the second paragraph. Also what do you actually mean by
> > "reloading XP".
> >
> > "Sam Kekavitch" > wrote in message
> > > I have problems with my computer that are not related to the hard
disk.

> > > Machine has Gigabyte GA 8ST667 motherboard. Pentium 4. It was smoothly
> > > running XP until my son turned it on yesterday. He couldn't log on. I
> have
> > > checked everything I can think of with the hard disk including putting
> it
> > in
> > > another computer and reloading XP. It works properly in the other
> machine
> > > but when returned to the original, the machine wont start.
> > >
> > > I get a message that says that a problem has been detected and windows
> has
> > > been shut down to protect the computer.
> > >
> > > The stop information doesn't enlighten me.
> > >
> > > I suspect it might be something he downloaded though he assures me
that
> he
> > > virus checked everything.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions will be appreciated and positive thoughts relayed to
> > anyone
> > > who can help me solve this.
> > >
> > > TYIA
> > >
> > > Sam

Jesse
July 21st 03, 05:32 AM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:36:03 +1000, "Sam Kekavitch"
> wrote:

>I have problems with my computer that are not related to the hard disk.

Try booting off xp cd rom and choose repair

0x0000007B Error
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5534.htm

You Receive a Stop 0x0000007B Error After You Move the Windows XP
System Disk to Another Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314082
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_xlxv.asp

If you Reformat, first remove all partitions with fdisk and
repartition using FDISK /MBR command
http://www.itsecurity.com/asktecs/jan1702.htm

Memtest runs from a floppy
http://www.memtest86.com/

>Machine has Gigabyte GA 8ST667 motherboard. Pentium 4. It was smoothly
>running XP until my son turned it on yesterday. He couldn't log on. I have

>checked everything I can think of with the hard disk including putting it in
>another computer and reloading XP. It works properly in the other machine
>but when returned to the original, the machine wont start.
>
>I get a message that says that a problem has been detected and windows has
>been shut down to protect the computer.
>
>The stop information doesn't enlighten me.
>
>I suspect it might be something he downloaded though he assures me that he
>virus checked everything.
>
>Any suggestions will be appreciated and positive thoughts relayed to anyone
>who can help me solve this.
>
>TYIA
>
>Sam

July 21st 03, 05:37 AM
You might want to read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122926

Nobody

> wrote:

>The error message I receive is:
>
>*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9E48640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

PWY
July 21st 03, 11:34 PM
"Sam Kekavitch" > wrote in message
> The error message I receive is:
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9E48640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Try this site: http://forum.techbuy.com.au/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=319

Sam Kekavitch
July 22nd 03, 09:04 AM
If you cant get it to a boot, with no prompt, how can you format?

"Muttley" > wrote in message
> You should always format and re-install in the machine that it will run
in.

> Windows XP does NOT like being moved to a different machine after
> installation.
> It usually will not boot unless both machines are an identical hardware
> configuration.
>
> Try format + re-install in the problem machine.
>
> John S.
>
> "Sam Kekavitch" > wrote in message
> > I mean I took the hard disk out of the problem machine and put it in
> another
> > one. I reformated the disk and then reinstalled XP. It works perfectly
on
> > the second machine but when I put it back in the original machine it
> starts
> > to boot and then gets to the error message nd will go no further.
> > "blackgold" > wrote in message
> > > Not sure what are you talking about. Why not try again.
> > > Especially the second paragraph. Also what do you actually mean by

> disk.

> > have
> > it
> > > in
> > machine

> > has

> that
> > he

> > > anyone

Sam Kekavitch
July 25th 03, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys. Problem solved. I removed the battery and that reset
everything.