PDA

View Full Version : 7N400 Pro restarts

boh
July 20th 03, 03:04 AM
Hi,

I have just put together a GA-7N400 Pro system with 2x512MB RAM, 2x80GB WD
RAID drives, 10 GB application drive, MSI FX5200, Termaltake 420W power. No
overclocking.

I think I have all the latest drivers and bios. Sometimes one I access
different applications it will just reboot. No bluescrueen, just a reboot
like I had pressed a button. Latest application was Symantec Internet
Security (comes with the MB). Trying to update over the net restarted it and
so did trying to remove it. It also seems like the Easy Tune 4 can have the
same effect.

Any clues greatly appreciated.

thanks

boh
July 20th 03, 04:41 AM
I removed one memory stick and now the problem is gone. I have tried 2
different brands (Kingston and some generic) same problem. Seems to be a
problem with this board. Anyone else had similar experiences?

"boh" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just put together a GA-7N400 Pro system with 2x512MB RAM, 2x80GB WD
> RAID drives, 10 GB application drive, MSI FX5200, Termaltake 420W power.
No
> overclocking.
>
> I think I have all the latest drivers and bios. Sometimes one I access
> different applications it will just reboot. No bluescrueen, just a reboot
> like I had pressed a button. Latest application was Symantec Internet
> Security (comes with the MB). Trying to update over the net restarted it
and
> so did trying to remove it. It also seems like the Easy Tune 4 can have
the
> same effect.
>
> Any clues greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks

Paul
July 20th 03, 05:09 PM
Had similar prob. Are you trying to use dual channel memory?
As dual channel memory just keeps machine in
reboot loop.
Bought two 512Mb memory modules PC2700 from Crucial using their memory
selector. Both modules use the same chip (infineon) rated at 333DDR.
If their are put into Slot 1+2 there work fine, but then the dual channel
memory isn`t being used this way.

"boh" > wrote in message
> I removed one memory stick and now the problem is gone. I have tried 2
> different brands (Kingston and some generic) same problem. Seems to be a
> problem with this board. Anyone else had similar experiences?
>
> "boh" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just put together a GA-7N400 Pro system with 2x512MB RAM, 2x80GB
WD
> > RAID drives, 10 GB application drive, MSI FX5200, Termaltake 420W power.
> No
> > overclocking.
> >
> > I think I have all the latest drivers and bios. Sometimes one I access
> > different applications it will just reboot. No bluescrueen, just a
reboot
> > like I had pressed a button. Latest application was Symantec Internet
> > Security (comes with the MB). Trying to update over the net restarted it
> and
> > so did trying to remove it. It also seems like the Easy Tune 4 can have
> the
> > same effect.
> >
> > Any clues greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanks

boh
July 20th 03, 11:21 PM
Yes, dual channel. There seems to be an un-official 10A bios that handles
the dual channel properly. I guess I will forget about 2 channel for about a
month or so and it should be fixed in a proper release. thanks.

"Paul" > wrote in message
> Had similar prob. Are you trying to use dual channel memory?
> As dual channel memory just keeps machine in
> reboot loop.
> Bought two 512Mb memory modules PC2700 from Crucial using their memory
> selector. Both modules use the same chip (infineon) rated at 333DDR.
> If their are put into Slot 1+2 there work fine, but then the dual channel
> memory isn`t being used this way.
>
> "boh" > wrote in message
> > I removed one memory stick and now the problem is gone. I have tried 2
> > different brands (Kingston and some generic) same problem. Seems to be a
> > problem with this board. Anyone else had similar experiences?
> >
> > "boh" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have just put together a GA-7N400 Pro system with 2x512MB RAM,
2x80GB
> WD
> > > RAID drives, 10 GB application drive, MSI FX5200, Termaltake 420W
power.
> > No
> > > overclocking.
> > >
> > > I think I have all the latest drivers and bios. Sometimes one I access
> > > different applications it will just reboot. No bluescrueen, just a
> reboot
> > > like I had pressed a button. Latest application was Symantec Internet
> > > Security (comes with the MB). Trying to update over the net restarted
it
> > and
> > > so did trying to remove it. It also seems like the Easy Tune 4 can
have
> > the
> > > same effect.
> > >
> > > Any clues greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > thanks

mouse777
July 21st 03, 01:10 AM
The same problem here, tried using Dual Channel configurations (1 x 256 Mb
Infineon PC2700 & 1 x 256 Mb Generic Pc2700), it would reboot randomly on
whatever applications used and sometimes Windows XP SP1 reported that my
video memory is just 32 Mb (Leadtek A250 Geforce4 Ti 4400 128 Mb). Can't
wait for the bios update to be released soon.
"boh" > wrote in message
> Yes, dual channel. There seems to be an un-official 10A bios that handles
> the dual channel properly. I guess I will forget about 2 channel for about
> month or so and it should be fixed in a proper release. thanks.
>
> "Paul" > wrote in message
> > Had similar prob. Are you trying to use dual channel memory?
> > As dual channel memory just keeps machine in
> > reboot loop.
> > Bought two 512Mb memory modules PC2700 from Crucial using their memory
> > selector. Both modules use the same chip (infineon) rated at 333DDR.
> > If their are put into Slot 1+2 there work fine, but then the dual
channel
> > memory isn`t being used this way.
> >
> > "boh" > wrote in message
> > > I removed one memory stick and now the problem is gone. I have tried 2
> > > different brands (Kingston and some generic) same problem. Seems to be
> > > problem with this board. Anyone else had similar experiences?

> 2x80GB
> > WD
> power.
> > > No

> > reboot
Internet
> it
> > > and
> have
> > > the

ghettogirl
July 21st 03, 02:26 AM
Yes, but, will they address this problem, or simply release a newer board.
I'm experiencing the exact same problem, and was debating whether to return
the board and get a new one, or hold off for the BIOS fix...? Kinda of
unfair, you pay for the whole product but only get part of it!!! :(

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:10:51 +1000, mouse777
> wrote:

> The same problem here, tried using Dual Channel configurations (1 x 256
> Mb
> Infineon PC2700 & 1 x 256 Mb Generic Pc2700), it would reboot randomly on
> whatever applications used and sometimes Windows XP SP1 reported that my
> video memory is just 32 Mb (Leadtek A250 Geforce4 Ti 4400 128 Mb). Can't
> wait for the bios update to be released soon.
> "boh" > wrote in message
>> Yes, dual channel. There seems to be an un-official 10A bios that
>> handles
>> the dual channel properly. I guess I will forget about 2 channel for
>> about
>> month or so and it should be fixed in a proper release. thanks.
>>
>> "Paul" > wrote in message
>> > Had similar prob. Are you trying to use dual channel memory?
>> > As dual channel memory just keeps machine in
>> > reboot loop.
>> > Bought two 512Mb memory modules PC2700 from Crucial using their memory
>> > selector. Both modules use the same chip (infineon) rated at 333DDR.
>> > If their are put into Slot 1+2 there work fine, but then the dual
> channel
>> > memory isn`t being used this way.

>> 2
>> be

>> 2x80GB
>> > WD
>> power.

> access
>> > reboot
> Internet
> restarted
>> it
>> have

Tim
July 21st 03, 06:42 AM
Dear GhettoGirl and all other victims,

Take it back. If you buy a product and it only partially works, then take it
back.
You shouldn't have to stuff around with Bios to get a major feature to work
as advertised.

My opinion on Bios is that the release '1' (may be 1.9 for all I care)
version with version 1 motherboard should be as advertised.
Certainly there can be bugs and other issues, but the core features in a v1
m/b should work from day 1.

If the manufacturer does not state clearly (on the box) that specific (make
/ model) memory only is supported then take the hard line - particularly if
you buy both the memory and m/b from the same vendor: IE if you purchase
memory rated at or above that stated as required in the specs, then if that
memory works and the m/b doesn't, take the m/b back. It is up to the
manufacturer and its distribution channels to require competency in the
resellers if a m/b has special requirements. After all, these days m/b's are
consumer items - they are sold retail in shop windows!

What is acceptable for a bios upgrade? Performance improvements,
improvements in the Bios UI (there is need for a LOT), elimination of subtle
bugs (EG Award Bios has lousy defaults in some places, seems to be poor at
detecting IDE drives that are on SATA controllers), improved usability (what
happens if you don't have a Windows '98' keyboard with a power button and
want to use standby? You have to have a password!) addition of facilities EG
extra boot options, adding in new features, adding in support for CPU's that
did not exist at time of product release.

What is not acceptable? For a system to boot off memory that is not usuable.
Detailed memory checking should be built into the Bios. For defaults to be
illogical. For a change in an item in the Bios down the list to affect
something up the list (abit). To not being able see IDE devices in the list
that are boot discs. To have an unusable system if one loads defaults. Not
showing the value of something you need to change (EG memory voltage - why
do we need to change this?). To have to 'Clear cmos'. The need for dual bios
roms is absurd. If the bios was written correctly you wouldn't need it. I
have been using up till now asus m/b's and have *never* had to clear the
cmos on a m/b in over ten years! On this 8knxp I have had to do it 3 times
because the system doesn't run stably in optimum config - silly me to expect
it to! Similarly I have never had to downgrade a bios 'cos the new version
was too unstable to use (not on the gigabyte board - abit which I took
back). Nine tenths of the hassle I have had with this m/b is due to the
bios - all others with canterwood seem to have the award bios, so lets hope
the manufacturers get some horrid feedback from consumers indicating they
expect some quality - particularly after all these years where they have had
so much time to get these things down PAT. Oh and my HT doesn't work!

Moan? Me? You bet. I don't build a lot of PC's - maybe 5 a year - but I have
never had to stuff around in the bios of a new m/b anywhere near as much as
with these bios. It is simply disgusting! Most of the discussion in this
news group is around bios - should be the least discussed item.

Could they please get there voltage displays correct! If they are not using
a register on the SMBus (if thats where they are), could they zero it and
leave it alone.

Excuse me....

- Tim

"ghettogirl" > wrote in message
> Yes, but, will they address this problem, or simply release a newer board.
> I'm experiencing the exact same problem, and was debating whether to
return
> the board and get a new one, or hold off for the BIOS fix...? Kinda of
> unfair, you pay for the whole product but only get part of it!!! :(
>

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:10:51 +1000, mouse777
> > wrote:
>
> > The same problem here, tried using Dual Channel configurations (1 x 256
> > Mb
> > Infineon PC2700 & 1 x 256 Mb Generic Pc2700), it would reboot randomly
on
> > whatever applications used and sometimes Windows XP SP1 reported that my
> > video memory is just 32 Mb (Leadtek A250 Geforce4 Ti 4400 128 Mb). Can't
> > wait for the bios update to be released soon.
> > "boh" > wrote in message
> >> Yes, dual channel. There seems to be an un-official 10A bios that
> >> handles
> >> the dual channel properly. I guess I will forget about 2 channel for
> >> about
> >> month or so and it should be fixed in a proper release. thanks.

> > channel

> >> 2
> >> be

> >> 2x80GB
> >> power.

> > access
> > Internet
> > restarted
> >> it
> >> have

FlopFlop
July 21st 03, 09:54 PM
Man, I have the same problem... I cant utilize the dual channel ddr
function without having applications booting me out randomly (mostly
games). Inserting memory in the same channel will work fine tho...
Oh by the way, I have 2 512M corsair memory modules... ddr2700 and a
GA-7n400pro. If they fix this problem though, I'll be real happy.
Everything else about this motherboard looks well built...

Paul
July 22nd 03, 06:00 PM
Would love to know where this 10A bios can be found.

Thanks

"boh" > wrote in message
> Yes, dual channel. There seems to be an un-official 10A bios that handles
> the dual channel properly. I guess I will forget about 2 channel for about
> month or so and it should be fixed in a proper release. thanks.
>
> "Paul" > wrote in message
> > Had similar prob. Are you trying to use dual channel memory?
> > As dual channel memory just keeps machine in
> > reboot loop.
> > Bought two 512Mb memory modules PC2700 from Crucial using their memory
> > selector. Both modules use the same chip (infineon) rated at 333DDR.
> > If their are put into Slot 1+2 there work fine, but then the dual
channel
> > memory isn`t being used this way.
> >
> > "boh" > wrote in message
> > > I removed one memory stick and now the problem is gone. I have tried 2
> > > different brands (Kingston and some generic) same problem. Seems to be
> > > problem with this board. Anyone else had similar experiences?

> 2x80GB
> > WD
> power.
> > > No

> > reboot
Internet
> it
> > > and
> have
> > > the

boh
July 22nd 03, 08:10 PM
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

under New Beta Bios for 7n400Pro

"Paul" > wrote in message
> Would love to know where this 10A bios can be found.
>
> Thanks
>

> "boh" > wrote in message
> > Yes, dual channel. There seems to be an un-official 10A bios that
handles
> > the dual channel properly. I guess I will forget about 2 channel for
about
> > month or so and it should be fixed in a proper release. thanks.
> >
> > "Paul" > wrote in message
> > > Had similar prob. Are you trying to use dual channel memory?
> > > As dual channel memory just keeps machine in
> > > reboot loop.
> > > Bought two 512Mb memory modules PC2700 from Crucial using their memory
> > > selector. Both modules use the same chip (infineon) rated at 333DDR.
> > > If their are put into Slot 1+2 there work fine, but then the dual
> channel
> > > memory isn`t being used this way.

> > 2x80GB
> > > WD
> > power.

> access
> > > reboot
> Internet
> restarted
> > it
> > have

Paul
July 23rd 03, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the URL.
Updated Bios and now dual channel seems to work fine.
Dont know what has been done but thanks to whoever.

"boh" > wrote in message
> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48
>
> under New Beta Bios for 7n400Pro
>

> "Paul" > wrote in message
> > Would love to know where this 10A bios can be found.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "boh" > wrote in message
> > > Yes, dual channel. There seems to be an un-official 10A bios that
> handles
> > > the dual channel properly. I guess I will forget about 2 channel for
> about
> > > month or so and it should be fixed in a proper release. thanks.

> > channel

> 2
> be

> > > 2x80GB
> > > power.

> > access
> > Internet
> > restarted
> > > it
> > > have

Andrew K.
July 26th 03, 08:51 PM
I have two 512mb PC2700 Crucial modules (purchased 6/03). They are unstable
for me in dual channel mode but work fine in single channel.

If a bios upgrade will help, I'll try it. I'm now using version F9.