PDA

View Full Version : Re: 7VAXP Ultra USB2.0 Devices

Matt
July 20th 03, 12:59 AM
<Jeff> wrote in message ...
> I have the Non Ultra model and have reported the following with the
> same list of devices in device mgr as yours!
> 1) If I have my USB 2 card reader plugged in at boot, the machine
> freezes at the memory test...However, I can plug it in after the boot
> to XP and all is well! This one was reported here months agao! No
> response from Gigabyte...Note a plain usb 1 reader does NOT exhibit
> the proiblem.
> snip

Yeah, Someone else and I had the same issue. I believe alot of others are
having the issue too. When my Imation USB 2.0 reader is hooked up when
rebooting, the computer hangs and has to be shutdown manually and then
restarted. I got frustrated for the longest time and got sick of it. So I
bought a new USB R/W. Now I have an "internal" USB 2.0 reader/writer in my
3.5" floppy bay and it works perfect! Go figure! My guess? Some early USB
2.0 devices don't work well with these motherboards. That's the only thing I
can think of.

Matt

Jeff
July 20th 03, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the info...I have the Imation also. If I could ask, which
internal reader did you get and where? I have always been puzzled bu
the headers on the mobo and no mention of a device...
Your assistance is appreciated and I have lots of room in my Antec
case! The only one I have seen around is from crapusa <shudder>
jeff

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:59:31 GMT, "Matt" >
wrote:

><Jeff> wrote in message ...
>> I have the Non Ultra model and have reported the following with the
>> same list of devices in device mgr as yours!
>> 1) If I have my USB 2 card reader plugged in at boot, the machine
>> freezes at the memory test...However, I can plug it in after the boot
>> to XP and all is well! This one was reported here months agao! No
>> response from Gigabyte...Note a plain usb 1 reader does NOT exhibit
>> the proiblem.
>> snip
>
>Yeah, Someone else and I had the same issue. I believe alot of others are
>having the issue too. When my Imation USB 2.0 reader is hooked up when
>rebooting, the computer hangs and has to be shutdown manually and then
>restarted. I got frustrated for the longest time and got sick of it. So I
>bought a new USB R/W. Now I have an "internal" USB 2.0 reader/writer in my
>3.5" floppy bay and it works perfect! Go figure! My guess? Some early USB
>2.0 devices don't work well with these motherboards. That's the only thing I
>can think of.
>
>Matt

Matt
July 20th 03, 03:40 AM
BTW. I have an Antec case as well. :-) Nice choice!

Matt
July 20th 03, 03:46 AM
Hereis the URL for the reader. I don't see any purchase option. You may want
to try Ebay or another retailer. Do a search on Google for "Apacer USB 2.0"

http://www.apacer.com/apacer_english/product_html/embedded_card_reader20.asp

Jeff
July 20th 03, 04:11 PM
I found a 7 in 1 Apacer reader at https://www.ajump.com/ for $27usd
inc ground shipping...not bad, so I ordered it last night....even
comes with a black bezel to match the Antec!

Being a hardware junkie I was looking at the new Thermaltake
cases....NICE but I am holding my $$ for the new Athlon 64's when they
come out (and down in price) As much as I keep my old stuff I will
probably attach the Imation to my Imac 17" 700mhz even though it is
only USB1, Do not use it to much, but it is an elegant machine and OS
(Wide screen model with OSX) Bought it just to learn a bit...expensive
little puppy!

BTW I am a bit confused with the directions. I guess I will have to
remove 1 usb header plug (I use all the built in ports + a hub) but
underneath is a different pin structure than the one you
mentioned....two rows of pins...right row has 5 pins and left row has
4...too bad they did not make one that hooked up directly to the pins
on the MB for SD, MS, etc, but that would be alot of cables. I am sure
the instructions will be decent since it is from Apacer. I use alot of
Memory sticks and now SD cards for my new Digital Camera and 3970
Ipaq,,,,,

regards
jeff

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 03:04:09 GMT, "Matt" >
wrote:

><Jeff> wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:38:45 GMT, "Matt" >
>> wrote:
>
>> >THANKS ONCE AGAIN MATT...YOUR A LIFESAVER...NOW I CAN GET THE BLOOPY
>iMATION OFF MY DESK WHERE (LIKE YOU) IT BUGS ME TO NO END!
>> regarsds
>> Jeff
>
>Yeah but keep Imation in it's case. You never knoiw when you might need it.
>Ff your going away and need a USB device for a computer that doesn't have
>one then viola!

Jeff
July 23rd 03, 01:22 AM
wrote:

><Jeff> wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:38:45 GMT, "Matt" >
>> wrote:
>
>> >THANKS ONCE AGAIN MATT...YOUR A LIFESAVER...NOW I CAN GET THE BLOODY
>iMATION OFF MY DESK WHERE (LIKE YOU) IT BUGS ME TO NO END!
>> regarsds
>> Jeff
>
>Yeah but keep Imation in it's case. You never knoiw when you might need it.
>Ff your going away and need a USB device for a computer that doesn't have
>one then viola!

Well, thanks again Matt:
The new Apacer USB2 internal multi memory card reader arrived today
and was promptly installed! NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!! Also seems alot
faster than the old trouble causing Imation.
regards
jeff