PDA

View Full Version : GA-8KNXP LAN Speed problem...

July 19th 03, 08:55 AM
Hello,

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
network, even if you're on a 100 MB network? This problem is driving
me insane. I've already tried flashing the BIOS and updating the
drivers, and the problem persists. Their stupid software thinks
there's a bad wire or something, and I tested all 8 wires myself, and
they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.

Thanks

Darmok
July 19th 03, 11:49 AM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:55:22 GMT, wrote:

>Hello,
>
> Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
>Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
>network, even if you're on a 100 MB network? This problem is driving
>me insane. I've already tried flashing the BIOS and updating the
>drivers, and the problem persists. Their stupid software thinks
>there's a bad wire or something, and I tested all 8 wires myself, and
>they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.
>
>Thanks

Enet detect speeds are based on the quality of the data ... if the LAN
set is getting errors, it will keep dropping back until an acceptable
data exchange level is reached. Could be totally in your mb LAN
hardware, and nothing to do with your LAN. Have there been driver
updates for that? Might be worth a check.

The LAN on my GA-8IK1100 (basically same board as yours) can't be
used, as it and my ATI Radeon 9700 AIW don't seem to like one another.
My solution was just to stick a NIC in the system, and leave it at
that.

Good luck

Timothy Drouillard
July 19th 03, 05:46 PM
First of all, are you using high quality patch cables that are certified for
100-Base-T?

If you buy your patch cables, I would reccomend that you buy patch cables
certified as Cat-5e.

If you install the Intel Proset software that came on the CD, you can bring
that up, and try changing the speed setting there. It normally defaults to
auto-set, but you can manually choose your speed.

"Bob Davis" > wrote in message
.. .

> > wrote in message
>
> > Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
> > Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
> > network, even if you're on a 100 MB network?
>
> How can you tell? I have a P2P with three computers (two now since the
> notebook is in the shop), and I have no problems that I'm aware of.
>
> > Their stupid software thinks there's a bad wire or something, and I
tested
> all 8 wires myself, and
> > they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.
>
> Is it generating errors?

July 19th 03, 08:00 PM
>> Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
>> Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
>> network, even if you're on a 100 MB network?
>
>How can you tell? I have a P2P with three computers (two now since the
>notebook is in the shop), and I have no problems that I'm aware of.
It says so in the Intel PROset software that came with the
motherboard. There's a button that says, "Test Link Speed". When I
test it, this is what it says back: "A Category 5 cable is required to
run at 1000 Mbps. The cable connected to the device either has only
two pairs or has faulty wires."

Also, the 100 light on the router is turned out for this port
- only the 10 is turned on. FYI, I have tried switching to another
jack and also tested the cable with another computer (works at 100
there). There's also a "Test Cable" button, and that doesn't detect
any errors on the line.

The funny part, is I made this particular wire myself using
Cat5e cable, so it should be good for 100 or 1000. I don't have any
problems with any of my other computers reaching 100 - I'm not really
going for the full 1000 speed here (I personally thing that's a waste
of time until hard drives become faster).

>> Their stupid software thinks there's a bad wire or something, and I tested
>all 8 wires myself, and they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.
>
>Is it generating errors?
No there are no errors.

July 19th 03, 08:04 PM
>First of all, are you using high quality patch cables that are certified for
>100-Base-T?
>
>If you buy your patch cables, I would reccomend that you buy patch cables
>certified as Cat-5e.
>
>If you install the Intel Proset software that came on the CD, you can bring
>that up, and try changing the speed setting there. It normally defaults to
>auto-set, but you can manually choose your speed.
I have a few store bought cables, but I usually make them
myself from Cat-5e cable. I know they work, because the router always
detects them at 100 and I can transfer files a lot faster than 10
mbps. I tested it with this new NIC, and it's taking 15 mins to
transfer a file that used to come across in 3 or 4 mins - so the
software's not misreporting the speed or anything.

Bob Davis
July 19th 03, 10:01 PM
> wrote in message

> I know they work, because the router always detects them at 100....

How can you tell?

July 19th 03, 10:07 PM
>The easy part is what color wire goes to what pin.
>
>1. White with Orange stripe
>2. Orange with White stripe.
>3. White with Green stripe.
>4. Blue with White stripe
>5. White with Blue stripe
>6. Green with White stripe
>7. White with Brown stripe
>8. Brown with White strip.
Thanks for the info, it's always good to double-check yourself, but
that's exactly how I make my cables.

1. White/Orange
2. Orange
3. White/Green
4. Blue
5. White/Blue
6. Green
7. White/Brown
8. Brown

>The easiest way to quickly doublecheck yourself before you crimp the
>connector, is to verify that the wires (from 1 to 8) are stripe, solid,
>stripe, solid, etc.
I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

>The trickier part (for higher speed operation) is how far back you untwist
>the pairs in order to feed them into the connector.
>
>At 10Base-T speeds, it's not very picky. At higher speeds you want to majke
>sure you only untwist the pairs JUST far enough to be able to feed the
>individual wires into the connector.
That's funny, because my friends complain that I take too long to make
my cables, because I'm making them just like you described. Most
people let it all hang out and just put a boot on it - I personally
don't like that. Now you've justified my slowness in making cables!
:-)

Another weird thing I just noticed, and this is kind of a slap in the
face, is the Intel PROset software has this message: This adapter is
capable of connecting at a higher speed. I have a feeling Intel
created this NIC with 1000 only in mind. I have no way of checking
the impedience on the lines, but I have check all of them for
continuity.

Is anyone out there running this same exact board on a 100mbps network
successfully?

Timothy Drouillard
July 20th 03, 12:05 AM
I Have mine cabled to a Linksys Cable/DSL Router (connecting at 100mbs)
along with a second PC (also connected at 100Base-T) and two printers and it
works flawlessly.

Yes the Intel software tells you it's capable of higher speed, it can go to
1000mbs .

> wrote in message
> >The easy part is what color wire goes to what pin.
> >
> >1. White with Orange stripe
> >2. Orange with White stripe.
> >3. White with Green stripe.
> >4. Blue with White stripe
> >5. White with Blue stripe
> >6. Green with White stripe
> >7. White with Brown stripe
> >8. Brown with White strip.
> Thanks for the info, it's always good to double-check yourself, but
> that's exactly how I make my cables.
>
> 1. White/Orange
> 2. Orange
> 3. White/Green
> 4. Blue
> 5. White/Blue
> 6. Green
> 7. White/Brown
> 8. Brown
>
> >The easiest way to quickly doublecheck yourself before you crimp the
> >connector, is to verify that the wires (from 1 to 8) are stripe, solid,
> >stripe, solid, etc.
> I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.
>
> >The trickier part (for higher speed operation) is how far back you
untwist
> >the pairs in order to feed them into the connector.
> >
> >At 10Base-T speeds, it's not very picky. At higher speeds you want to
majke
> >sure you only untwist the pairs JUST far enough to be able to feed the
> >individual wires into the connector.
> That's funny, because my friends complain that I take too long to make
> my cables, because I'm making them just like you described. Most
> people let it all hang out and just put a boot on it - I personally
> don't like that. Now you've justified my slowness in making cables!
> :-)
>
> Another weird thing I just noticed, and this is kind of a slap in the
> face, is the Intel PROset software has this message: This adapter is
> capable of connecting at a higher speed. I have a feeling Intel
> created this NIC with 1000 only in mind. I have no way of checking
> the impedience on the lines, but I have check all of them for
> continuity.
>
> Is anyone out there running this same exact board on a 100mbps network
> successfully?

Timothy Drouillard
July 20th 03, 12:06 AM
Also check to make sure you're running at full duplex as well.
> wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> >
> >> I know they work, because the router always detects them at 100....
> >
> >How can you tell?
>
> I can tell by my transmission speeds, which seem to be limited by my
> hard drives. I can send roughly 1 gig over the network in 7 mins.
> Now it wants to take a lot longer (over twice the time), and it's only
> because it's being limited by that 10mbps ethernet connection -
> doesn't even hit the bottleneck in the hard drives now.

July 20th 03, 01:22 AM
>Also check to make sure you're running at full duplex as well.
Well, I checked eveything I could, and it all looks fine.

I just had a good idea... I'm going to test it through a hub,
and see if this NIC is incompatible with my router. I figure the hub
will talk to the router, thus bypassing the whole situation of this
NIC talking directly to the router.

Guess what guys?!! It worked! Going through the hub it has
no problem connecting at 100. FYI, I'm using the same exact cable to
connect, and I previously tested other ports on the router.

Now I just have to figure out why this NIC doesn't like my
router - I have a Netgear RT314. Anyone else using one with this
motherboard successfully?

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really really appreciate
it. This was driving me up a wall. I might have to email Intel and
Netgear to see if they know anything we don't. I'm just glad to be
back at 100!

Tim
July 20th 03, 02:36 AM
FYI:

I have a new 8KNXP using a direct connect Cat5e cable to a CNet 1gbs card in
my server.
This works at 1gbs - although some (IE ALL) of the disc drives on the server
are not capable of much at all.

The CNet card is a 64 bit card in a 32 bit PCI 2 slot. The server runs an
Asus P2B-DS with dual P 2 400's running W2KS. The only hassles in installing
this config were:

1) I had a cat5 cable - didn't like that & said there were missing pairs
etc. This cable went through wall sockets etc, so rather than stuff around
to find where I had made a wiring mistake if any, or a poor connection I
just augmented the cable with a new direct connect cat5e cable without any
intervening sockets, plugs or other failure points.

2) the CNet driver on floppy was stuffed - caused W2K BSOD's. The error
(0x21 I think) indicated a checksum error in the driver file, so I
downloaded the most recent driver (appears to be older) and used that
instead. Works flawlessly now.

My reason for the faster link is for faster backups of the server disc to
disc over the network. When the backup is processing large files on the
faster discs I get around 100% improvement in throughput using 1gbs - IE
from about 6MBs to about 12 (the drives are slow). Where there are many
small files EG a W2K system directory, there is not improvement in
throughput - it still goes as slow as 100 - 200 KBs (yes K) turning over
many dozens of files per second - this is process and / or disc / seek
bound.

I get a faster backup - shaving around 1/2 hour a night off a full system
backup, so I get more sleep :)
Peak performance on the link is aroung 15MBs - twice that previous - this is
*good* as far as I am concerned as when the server is replaced (soon -
anyone want to buy it?) the rest of the network will already be heading in
the right direction. BTW I am using NTBackup - a different backup package
would no doubt result in a substantial performance gain.

So the moral? As you would expect. 1gbs is quick, don't expect old systems
to give performance where none is to be got. The improved (reduced) turn
around time in the network no doubt contributes for backups, but the amount
is tiny. The 1gbs interfaces are a lot more flexible - they don't care about
direct connect, cross over cables, duplex or half duplex, or how fast the
other end is - they just run at the best speed for the conditions. I won't
be buying any more 100mbs cards from now on.

Shame you had so many problems.

HTH
- Tim

> wrote in message
> >> Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
> >> Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
> >> network, even if you're on a 100 MB network?
> >
> >How can you tell? I have a P2P with three computers (two now since the
> >notebook is in the shop), and I have no problems that I'm aware of.
> It says so in the Intel PROset software that came with the
> motherboard. There's a button that says, "Test Link Speed". When I
> test it, this is what it says back: "A Category 5 cable is required to
> run at 1000 Mbps. The cable connected to the device either has only
> two pairs or has faulty wires."
>
> Also, the 100 light on the router is turned out for this port
> - only the 10 is turned on. FYI, I have tried switching to another
> jack and also tested the cable with another computer (works at 100
> there). There's also a "Test Cable" button, and that doesn't detect
> any errors on the line.
>
> The funny part, is I made this particular wire myself using
> Cat5e cable, so it should be good for 100 or 1000. I don't have any
> problems with any of my other computers reaching 100 - I'm not really
> going for the full 1000 speed here (I personally thing that's a waste
> of time until hard drives become faster).
>
> >> Their stupid software thinks there's a bad wire or something, and I
tested
> >all 8 wires myself, and they're fine. I even tested it with multiple
patch cords.

> >Is it generating errors?
> No there are no errors.

July 20th 03, 10:47 AM
Hey Zippy,

Thanks for the reply. That's very interesting stuff. That
thought actually crossed my mind too. I've never had good luck with
Intel networking equipment. I usually go with D-Link or Netgear. I
really like Netgear, but their stuff isn't as peppy as D-Link and it
costs more. Almost like the old days with US Robotics Courier modems,
compared to the cheapie modems that would smoke them (sorry, getting
off the topic there).

Anyway, what you were saying about the Intel chipsets being
too sloppy with their timing and causing the switches to sense a fault
- or they are too rigid and are flagging a fault on a valid
datastream. That totally makes sense to me, because that's what I was
kind of gathering while I was testing it. It seemed to me like it was
jumping to conclusions, and just selecting the wrong spec or not
giving it enough time to really determine the best solution. I wish I
knew more about how it determines the speed internally, because then I
could probably fix it.

I did exactly as you did, I tried to adjust the Flow Control
and all the other settings, but they didn't help. I even messed with
the PME settings for the NIC, and in my BIOS - nothing made any
difference. I flashed my BIOS too, and even tried newer PROset
drivers and chipset drivers.

Sometimes it would sense a 1 Gig network connection, and then
switch to "Cable Unplugged". I was interpreting it as, it's sensing
all 8 wires, but then something went wrong and it dropped the
connection. That's very strange behavior from a NIC card, especially
considering I only have a 100 mb network.

I was thinking about what you said, about putting a cheap
D-Link NIC into the computer to fix the problem. In my opinion, the
best solution would be to buy a cheap hub. This way you can keep your
PCI bus free for other things.

Oh, as an FYI, I'm now running at 100 mbps Full Duplex, and
there have been 0 Send / Receive errors. Pretty good for a homemade
cable, huh? Anyway, thanks again.

Nobody

wrote in message

>>Is anyone out there running this same exact board on a 100mbps
>network successfully?
>
>Yes - Ive found Intel Pro chipsets to be very temperamental with
>regard to the switches they will talk to. This applies to both
>the Gigabit capable and the standard 10/100MB series.
>
>Generally as a rule of thumb I find them to work successfully on
>high spec (IE Cisco) and medium spec (IE DLink backbone/3225G
>upwards etc) switches.
>
>They also work fine on cheap hubs - however on cheap switches
>they are frequently useless. EG with a Dlink DES1016 they
>initially connect without a problem but as soon as you put any
>load on them then the connection slows down or breaks totally.
>
>Putting a cheap (10/$15) Dlink 530Tx card in the machine is the
>cheapest solution Ive found.
>
>Its not just the Gigabyte boards that have the problem - our
>Dell notebooks that use the Intel Pro 10/100MB chipsets have the
>same problem.
>
>I have tried reconfiguring the Intel chipsets, changing the flow
>control mechanism, interframe spacing, switching to half
>duplex - nothing helps. I suspect its a timing problem - either
>the Intel chipsets are too sloppy with their timing causing the
>switches to sense a fault - or they are too rigid and are
>flagging a fault on a valid datastream.
>
>regards,
>Zippy.

Gary Seven
July 20th 03, 06:38 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:55:22 GMT, wrote:

>Hello,
>
> Has anyone else noticed a problem with the onboard "Intel
>Pro/1000 CT Desktop" ethernet controller only detecting a 10 MB
>network, even if you're on a 100 MB network? This problem is driving
>me insane. I've already tried flashing the BIOS and updating the
>drivers, and the problem persists. Their stupid software thinks
>there's a bad wire or something, and I tested all 8 wires myself, and
>they're fine. I even tested it with multiple patch cords.
>
>Thanks

In Windows 2000
Under Device Manager, right click on your LAN connection. hit
Properties, under the Advanced Tab, Click on Link Speed and Duples
under that list of 'stuff.' On the right hand side you can manually
set what speed you want the card at.

rodeoislander
July 21st 03, 05:51 PM
I have a Netgear RT314 connected to my 8KNXP, a Macintosh G4 DP 1ghz and
another PC, an nforce2 rig.

I have no idea how to determine the network speed. Tell me how and I will
check it.

> wrote in message
> >Also check to make sure you're running at full duplex as well.
> Well, I checked eveything I could, and it all looks fine.
>
> I just had a good idea... I'm going to test it through a hub,
> and see if this NIC is incompatible with my router. I figure the hub
> will talk to the router, thus bypassing the whole situation of this
> NIC talking directly to the router.
>
> Guess what guys?!! It worked! Going through the hub it has
> no problem connecting at 100. FYI, I'm using the same exact cable to
> connect, and I previously tested other ports on the router.
>
> Now I just have to figure out why this NIC doesn't like my
> router - I have a Netgear RT314. Anyone else using one with this
> motherboard successfully?
>
> Thanks everyone for all your help, I really really appreciate
> it. This was driving me up a wall. I might have to email Intel and
> Netgear to see if they know anything we don't. I'm just glad to be
> back at 100!

July 22nd 03, 04:54 AM
Do you have Windows 2000 or XP on any of them? If so, you can go to
the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and it will tell you on the Network
tab at the bottom usually. Also you can use the Intel PROset software
to tell you. Another way to tell (for XP and 2k) is to click Start /
Settings / Control Panel / Network Connection / Local Area Network.
And lastly, you can check the Link/Act lights on your router, since
you have the RT314. If the light for 100 is out, you're running at
10.

Nobody

>I have a Netgear RT314 connected to my 8KNXP, a Macintosh G4 DP 1ghz and
>another PC, an nforce2 rig.
>
>I have no idea how to determine the network speed. Tell me how and I will
>check it.
>
> wrote in message
>> >Also check to make sure you're running at full duplex as well.
>> Well, I checked eveything I could, and it all looks fine.
>>
>> I just had a good idea... I'm going to test it through a hub,
>> and see if this NIC is incompatible with my router. I figure the hub
>> will talk to the router, thus bypassing the whole situation of this
>> NIC talking directly to the router.
>>
>> Guess what guys?!! It worked! Going through the hub it has
>> no problem connecting at 100. FYI, I'm using the same exact cable to
>> connect, and I previously tested other ports on the router.
>>
>> Now I just have to figure out why this NIC doesn't like my
>> router - I have a Netgear RT314. Anyone else using one with this
>> motherboard successfully?
>>
>> Thanks everyone for all your help, I really really appreciate
>> it. This was driving me up a wall. I might have to email Intel and
>> Netgear to see if they know anything we don't. I'm just glad to be
>> back at 100!

rodeoislander
July 22nd 03, 09:17 PM
Both my router (doh!) and Windows Task Manager (XP) report my speed at
100mbps.

> wrote in message
> Do you have Windows 2000 or XP on any of them? If so, you can go to
> the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and it will tell you on the Network
> tab at the bottom usually. Also you can use the Intel PROset software
> to tell you. Another way to tell (for XP and 2k) is to click Start /
> Settings / Control Panel / Network Connection / Local Area Network.
> And lastly, you can check the Link/Act lights on your router, since
> you have the RT314. If the light for 100 is out, you're running at
> 10.
>
> Nobody
>

> >I have a Netgear RT314 connected to my 8KNXP, a Macintosh G4 DP 1ghz and
> >another PC, an nforce2 rig.
> >
> >I have no idea how to determine the network speed. Tell me how and I will
> >check it.

> >> Well, I checked eveything I could, and it all looks fine.
> >>
> >> I just had a good idea... I'm going to test it through a hub,
> >> and see if this NIC is incompatible with my router. I figure the hub
> >> will talk to the router, thus bypassing the whole situation of this
> >> NIC talking directly to the router.
> >>
> >> Guess what guys?!! It worked! Going through the hub it has
> >> no problem connecting at 100. FYI, I'm using the same exact cable to
> >> connect, and I previously tested other ports on the router.
> >>
> >> Now I just have to figure out why this NIC doesn't like my
> >> router - I have a Netgear RT314. Anyone else using one with this
> >> motherboard successfully?
> >>
> >> Thanks everyone for all your help, I really really appreciate
> >> it. This was driving me up a wall. I might have to email Intel and
> >> Netgear to see if they know anything we don't. I'm just glad to be
> >> back at 100!

July 23rd 03, 05:40 AM
>Both my router (doh!) and Windows Task Manager (XP) report my speed at
>100mbps.

Okay - thanks for the info. Have you ever upgraded the Firmware on
your router? I'm using V3.24, but they have a V3.25 out now. Also,
just to verify: You're using the GA-8KNXP motherboard, right? And
your computer is directly plugged into the route, not going through a
hub or anything else first?

I was looking for a motherboard Revision number, but I don't see one
on this motherboard... We might have different revisions of the
board, and that's why yours works and mine doesn't. Does anyone know
how to find the revision for this board? There might even be
different revisions of this router, outside of the firmware.

Nobody

July 23rd 03, 07:02 PM
>My two year old Netgear Rt314's firmware is currently 3.25
So you are using a new firmware than mine. Maybe I should
upgrade mine too. They claim the upgrade to 3.25 won't affect US
users, or something like that (was meant for people in Europe).

>I have the 8knxp (non ultra) motherboard and it is about a month old.
>Silkscreened on the board btwn the northbridge hs/fan and the adjacent dimm
>slot is the model number and revision. Mine is rev 1.0
Thanks, I found it! Yeah, mine is the same rev 1.0.

>The lan port is plugged directly into the router. Do you get the same result
>with every lan port on the router? Every once in a while it seems that one
>of mine goes quiet.
I tested multiple ports on the router, and they were all the
same. I've never had any problems with that router before.

>Have you tried the latest Intel driver set? It's at version 1015 I think.
Mine says it's version 8.0.0.0 - numbers don't really match
what you said above. Where did you find that version number?

>If you think it's the board, request an rma and replacement from your
>vendor. Retailers like newegg allow you to replace a defective board up to a
>year after your purchase.
I don't think the board is broken, but the problem is coming
from the Intel chip or software. As I stated before, I am running at
100 now, but going through a hub into the router. Thanks for all your
help.

Nobody