PDA

View Full Version : B S O D (Blue Screen Of Death)


MiniDisc_2k2
July 13th 03, 03:33 PM
If you don't want to read this somewhat long post, here's a question you can
answer (but does not solve the answer which is in the rest of the post): Can
you provide me with a document or website or something that has a lookup
table, so I can reference the hexidecimal numbers in the STOP message on a
BSOD screen to an actual error message in english?

If you are willing to help me with my problem:

Yes, I'm reposting this message. I've isolated the problem, I think, but I
need verification (or other ideas).

I've been getting this BSOD message for months (granted, only about once a
month, but I'm getting it nonetheless):

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80515F86, 0xF9E84C0C, 0xF9E8490C)

No error message (like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) accompanies the message.
Recommendation says to check hardware, hardware drivers, and software
drivers (like firewalls, etc.).

I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
standby (after 15 minutes) when I overclocked my system from 2.4GHz to
2.95GHz. If I told it to go to standby (start->turn off->standby) it would
turn on fine, but automatic standby didn't work as well. I have now
de-overclocked the system (all settings back to normal) and I'm still
getting this problem. As I had overclocked it the second day I got my
motherboard, I don't know if overclocking caused the problem or if it had
existed prior to overclocking.

I believe I may have isolated the problem. I have been noticing lately that
after an automatic standby, sometimes my system will turn on but the monitor
will not turn on (the LED remains yellow, indicating no signal). I would
then have to restart my computer (reset button) to get it to work again.
Therefore, I believe that the video card or its driver may be causing the
problem. Do you agree?

I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
(support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops Responding....)
or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to search?
I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup table
to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.

Finally, I went to Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if I
could pull up a new device driver. There was one, for my video card
(coincidence?). I installed it, but I'll have to wait until the next time my
computer goes into standby to find out if it worked. Does anyone know
actually what that video card driver fixed?

Thanks for any help. System specs follow:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
Primary Slave: None
Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
Secondary Slave: None
Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
COM2: None
AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
AGP 8x Port: Empty?
PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
PCI4: Empty
PCI5: Empty
Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme

Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire ports,
but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
have any hardware which would require them.

* While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely few
lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run MemTest86
(www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM is
perfectly functioning.
** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to use
both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks you
which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
driver (XP certified).
? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers.
Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.

Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)

--
MiniDisc_2k2

Cari
July 13th 03, 06:38 PM
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Cari
www.coribright.com

"MiniDisc_2k2" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you don't want to read this somewhat long post, here's a question you
can
> answer (but does not solve the answer which is in the rest of the post):
Can
> you provide me with a document or website or something that has a lookup
> table, so I can reference the hexidecimal numbers in the STOP message on a
> BSOD screen to an actual error message in english?
>
> If you are willing to help me with my problem:
>
> Yes, I'm reposting this message. I've isolated the problem, I think, but I
> need verification (or other ideas).
>
> I've been getting this BSOD message for months (granted, only about once a
> month, but I'm getting it nonetheless):
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80515F86, 0xF9E84C0C, 0xF9E8490C)
>
> No error message (like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) accompanies the message.
> Recommendation says to check hardware, hardware drivers, and software
> drivers (like firewalls, etc.).
>
> I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
> standby (after 15 minutes) when I overclocked my system from 2.4GHz to
> 2.95GHz. If I told it to go to standby (start->turn off->standby) it would
> turn on fine, but automatic standby didn't work as well. I have now
> de-overclocked the system (all settings back to normal) and I'm still
> getting this problem. As I had overclocked it the second day I got my
> motherboard, I don't know if overclocking caused the problem or if it had
> existed prior to overclocking.
>
> I believe I may have isolated the problem. I have been noticing lately
that
> after an automatic standby, sometimes my system will turn on but the
monitor
> will not turn on (the LED remains yellow, indicating no signal). I would
> then have to restart my computer (reset button) to get it to work again.
> Therefore, I believe that the video card or its driver may be causing the
> problem. Do you agree?
>
> I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
> (support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
> vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
> them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
> said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
> which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
> computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops
Responding....)
> or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to
search?
> I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup
table
> to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.
>
> Finally, I went to Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if
I
> could pull up a new device driver. There was one, for my video card
> (coincidence?). I installed it, but I'll have to wait until the next time
my
> computer goes into standby to find out if it worked. Does anyone know
> actually what that video card driver fixed?
>
> Thanks for any help. System specs follow:
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
> CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
> Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
> Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
> Primary Slave: None
> Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
> Secondary Slave: None
> Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
> LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
> COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
> COM2: None
> AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
> PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
> PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
> AGP 8x Port: Empty?
> PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
> PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
> PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
> PCI4: Empty
> PCI5: Empty
> Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
> Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme
>
> Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire
ports,
> but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
> have any hardware which would require them.
>
> * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
> Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely few
> lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run MemTest86
> (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM is
> perfectly functioning.
> ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to
use
> both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks you
> which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
> driver (XP certified).
> ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
> ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers.
> Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
>
> Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)
>
> --
> MiniDisc_2k2
>
>
>

Scott
July 13th 03, 06:53 PM
Try searching the Knowledge Base on www.microsoft.com.

Scott

MiniDisc_2k2
July 14th 03, 01:31 AM
"Scott" > wrote in message
om...
> Try searching the Knowledge Base on www.microsoft.com.
>
> Scott

Read my original post

<quote>
I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
(support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops Responding....)
or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to search?
I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup table
to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.
</quote>

Jim Davis
July 14th 03, 01:42 AM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:33:34 -0400, "MiniDisc_2k2"
> wrote/replied to:

>Finally, I went to Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if I
>could pull up a new device driver. There was one, for my video card
>(coincidence?). I installed it, but I'll have to wait until the next time my
>computer goes into standby to find out if it worked. Does anyone know
>actually what that video card driver fixed?
>
>Thanks for any help. System specs follow:
>
>Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800

I have the Ultra MB and I don't use standby at all, cause it just
locks up the computer. I suggest you turn everything off. I don't know
why they can't get this stuff right, I don't think I've ever had a MB
that doesn't screw up stand by mode.



Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

Tim
July 18th 03, 02:30 AM
Hi,

This is either a device driver or possibly h/w problem.

Firstly, NVidia cards won't 'burn'. Apparently the cards that burn are the
wrong voltage AGP's in the wrong m/b's - this comment is for Jim Davis. If
you put any AGP1/2 card in an AGP8 slot you will apparently get big problems
regardless of make, so Jim, before you burn your m/b, please read up about
AGP voltages - this is nothing to do with NVidia.

When IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL occurs, you generally will see the device driver
name listed. Most often, the one that is visible on screen is the one that
caused the problem - but then I suppose you have to know the name of the
device driver... NVidia tends to start with nv....sys

Since it is your display that does not come back on - this is another
indicator of the problem.

You have quite a bit of h/w installed, but it will help isolate the problem
by removing all extra h/w if you can. Also configure your standby settings
and screen saver to much shorter intervals to do some conclusive testing.

Check in particular the following
> PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
> PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
> PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)

if you can remove the PCI2 & 3 devices while checking out the graphics
drivers this will help isolate things.

GeForce4 is a good chipset, so if the problem is with the card's drivers, it
should be easily fixed.

So

0) take a backup
1) go to the graphics h/w vendors site for updated drivers. Look for WHQL
certified drivers.
If you get no joy there, go to NVidia.
2) remove extra devices if you are willing,
3) deinstall all extraneous drivers - if there is a deinstall program - if
you are willing.
4) amend screen saver and power config to much shorter intervals for quick
simulation runs
5) configure the new graphics drivers.
6) do standby simulations......
7) if you get problems again, post to this news group more details from your
BSOD screen.
You could post it to one of the MS Windows news groups as well if you
wished.

best of luck.

- Tim
P4 2.8 GHz running at 50 MHz! You think you have problems? try 4 hours to
install XP - took 20 mins first time!




"MiniDisc_2k2" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you don't want to read this somewhat long post, here's a question you
can
> answer (but does not solve the answer which is in the rest of the post):
Can
> you provide me with a document or website or something that has a lookup
> table, so I can reference the hexidecimal numbers in the STOP message on a
> BSOD screen to an actual error message in english?
>
> If you are willing to help me with my problem:
>
> Yes, I'm reposting this message. I've isolated the problem, I think, but I
> need verification (or other ideas).
>
> I've been getting this BSOD message for months (granted, only about once a
> month, but I'm getting it nonetheless):
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80515F86, 0xF9E84C0C, 0xF9E8490C)
>
> No error message (like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) accompanies the message.
> Recommendation says to check hardware, hardware drivers, and software
> drivers (like firewalls, etc.).
>
> I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
> standby (after 15 minutes) when I overclocked my system from 2.4GHz to
> 2.95GHz. If I told it to go to standby (start->turn off->standby) it would
> turn on fine, but automatic standby didn't work as well. I have now
> de-overclocked the system (all settings back to normal) and I'm still
> getting this problem. As I had overclocked it the second day I got my
> motherboard, I don't know if overclocking caused the problem or if it had
> existed prior to overclocking.
>
> I believe I may have isolated the problem. I have been noticing lately
that
> after an automatic standby, sometimes my system will turn on but the
monitor
> will not turn on (the LED remains yellow, indicating no signal). I would
> then have to restart my computer (reset button) to get it to work again.
> Therefore, I believe that the video card or its driver may be causing the
> problem. Do you agree?
>
> I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
> (support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
> vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
> them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
> said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
> which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
> computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops
Responding....)
> or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to
search?
> I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup
table
> to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.
>
> Finally, I went to Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if
I
> could pull up a new device driver. There was one, for my video card
> (coincidence?). I installed it, but I'll have to wait until the next time
my
> computer goes into standby to find out if it worked. Does anyone know
> actually what that video card driver fixed?
>
> Thanks for any help. System specs follow:
>
> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
> CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
> Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
> Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
> Primary Slave: None
> Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
> Secondary Slave: None
> Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
> LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
> COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
> COM2: None
> AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
> PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
> PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
> AGP 8x Port: Empty?
> PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
> PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
> PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
> PCI4: Empty
> PCI5: Empty
> Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
> Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme
>
> Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire
ports,
> but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
> have any hardware which would require them.
>
> * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
> Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely few
> lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run MemTest86
> (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM is
> perfectly functioning.
> ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to
use
> both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks you
> which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
> driver (XP certified).
> ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
> ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers.
> Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
>
> Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)
>
> --
> MiniDisc_2k2
>
>
>

Jim Davis
July 18th 03, 12:30 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:30:28 +1200, "Tim" >
wrote/replied to:

>Firstly, NVidia cards won't 'burn'. Apparently the cards that burn are the
>wrong voltage AGP's in the wrong m/b's - this comment is for Jim Davis. If
>you put any AGP1/2 card in an AGP8 slot you will apparently get big problems
>regardless of make, so Jim, before you burn your m/b, please read up about
>AGP voltages - this is nothing to do with NVidia.

Oh I have a Radeon 9200, I won't burn.

But, my computer store person told me that a Ti4200 would burn on this
MB. Interesting then that if I put my old Gforce which was AGP2 in
this it would burn?


Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

MiniDisc_2k2
July 21st 03, 07:37 PM
"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:58:39 GMT, Frans Groot >
> wrote/replied to:
>
> >You have a Geforce Video card. I have seen these messages related to
> >some drivers of this card. Check the version. I use the 43.51 Nvidea
> >detonator driver (WHQL) and this is very stable. (first un-install
> >the older driver)
>
> My friend, who works in a computer store, who sold me this MB, told me
> not to put in an Nvidia video card cause it would blow up or burn! I
> think that's unlikely, but it does point out these cards are not a
> good thing in this MB. Glad I got a Radeon.
>
>
> Jim Davis
> Nature Photography
> http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

I've heard that too, but after research I found out it only aplies to those
cards with a Ti4800 chipset.

MiniDisc_2k2
July 21st 03, 07:38 PM
"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:58:39 GMT, Frans Groot >
> wrote/replied to:
>
> >You have a Geforce Video card. I have seen these messages related to
> >some drivers of this card. Check the version. I use the 43.51 Nvidea
> >detonator driver (WHQL) and this is very stable. (first un-install
> >the older driver)
>
> My friend, who works in a computer store, who sold me this MB, told me
> not to put in an Nvidia video card cause it would blow up or burn! I
> think that's unlikely, but it does point out these cards are not a
> good thing in this MB. Glad I got a Radeon.
>
>
> Jim Davis
> Nature Photography
> http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

Sorry that would be Ti4200