PDA

View Full Version : BSOD

MiniDisc_2k2
July 13th 03, 03:19 AM
If you don't want to read this somewhat long post, here's a question you can
answer (but does not solve the answer which is in the rest of the post): Can
you provide me with a document or website or something that has a lookup
table, so I can reference the hexidecimal numbers in the STOP message on a
BSOD screen to an actual error message in english?

If you are willing to help me with my problem:

Yes, I'm reposting this message. I've isolated the problem, I think, but I
need verification (or other ideas).

I've been getting this BSOD message for months (granted, only about once a
month, but I'm getting it nonetheless):

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80515F86, 0xF9E84C0C, 0xF9E8490C)

No error message (like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) accompanies the message.
Recommendation says to check hardware, hardware drivers, and software
drivers (like firewalls, etc.).

I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
standby (after 15 minutes) when I overclocked my system from 2.4GHz to
2.95GHz. If I told it to go to standby (start->turn off->standby) it would
turn on fine, but automatic standby didn't work as well. I have now
de-overclocked the system (all settings back to normal) and I'm still
getting this problem. As I had overclocked it the second day I got my
motherboard, I don't know if overclocking caused the problem or if it had
existed prior to overclocking.

I believe I may have isolated the problem. I have been noticing lately that
after an automatic standby, sometimes my system will turn on but the monitor
will not turn on (the LED remains yellow, indicating no signal). I would
then have to restart my computer (reset button) to get it to work again.
Therefore, I believe that the video card or its driver may be causing the
problem. Do you agree?

I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
(support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops Responding....)
or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to search?
I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup table
to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.

Finally, I went to Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if I
could pull up a new device driver. There was one, for my video card
(coincidence?). I installed it, but I'll have to wait until the next time my
computer goes into standby to find out if it worked. Does anyone know
actually what that video card driver fixed?

Thanks for any help. System specs follow:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
Primary Slave: None
Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
Secondary Slave: None
Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
COM2: None
AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
AGP 8x Port: Empty?
PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
PCI4: Empty
PCI5: Empty
Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme

Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire ports,
but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
have any hardware which would require them.

* While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely few
lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run MemTest86
(www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM is
perfectly functioning.
** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to use
both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks you
which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
driver (XP certified).
? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers.
Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.

Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)

--
MiniDisc_2k2

MiniDisc_2k2
July 13th 03, 03:24 AM
Also using WinXP Home SP1.

> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
> CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
> Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
> Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
> Primary Slave: None
> Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
> Secondary Slave: None
> Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
> LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
> COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
> COM2: None
> AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
> PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
> PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
> AGP 8x Port: Empty?
> PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
> PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
> PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
> PCI4: Empty
> PCI5: Empty
> Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
> Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme
>
> Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire
ports,
> but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
> have any hardware which would require them.
>
> * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
> Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely few
> lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run MemTest86
> (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM is
> perfectly functioning.
> ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to
use
> both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks you
> which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
> driver (XP certified).
> ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
> ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers.
> Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
>
> Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)
>
> --
> MiniDisc_2k2

Lyle Rhodes
July 13th 03, 04:04 AM
I think it might be the sound card and/or driver... Try here for work
around...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637

"MiniDisc_2k2" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Also using WinXP Home SP1.
>
> > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
> > CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
> > Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
> > Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
> > Primary Slave: None
> > Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
> > Secondary Slave: None
> > Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
> > LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
> > COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
> > COM2: None
> > AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
> > PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
> > PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
> > AGP 8x Port: Empty?
> > PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
> > PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
> > PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
> > PCI4: Empty
> > PCI5: Empty
> > Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
> > Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme
> >
> > Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire
> ports,
> > but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
> > have any hardware which would require them.
> >
> > * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
> > Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely
few
> > lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run
MemTest86
> > (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM
is
> > perfectly functioning.
> > ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to
> use
> > both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks
you
> > which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
> > driver (XP certified).
> > ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
> > ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1
speakers.
> > Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
> >
> > Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)
> >
> > --
> > MiniDisc_2k2

Strontium
July 13th 03, 05:07 AM
-
MiniDisc_2k2 stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

> If you don't want to read this somewhat long post, here's a question
> you can answer (but does not solve the answer which is in the rest of
> the post): Can you provide me with a document or website or something
> that has a lookup table, so I can reference the hexidecimal numbers
> in the STOP message on a BSOD screen to an actual error message in
> english?

My best results, in this matter, used to be the winblows KB. I'd paste
the hex number and do a search. Seems they've changed their search
function, recently, though. Dunno if it works well, anymore for that
purpose. Still reading your post. May, or may not, reply again.

> [...]
> them, nor do I have any hardware which would require them.
>
> * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
> Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it
> (extremely few lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I
> have run MemTest86 (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has
> indicated that the RAM is perfectly functioning.
> ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure
> to use both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver,
> and asks you which one you would like to use), and I have made sure
> to use a signed driver (XP certified).
> ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
> ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1
> speakers. Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
>
> Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Strontium
July 13th 03, 05:12 AM
Actually, just did a search on the first string, of that error code. Gave
me some hits. They are very specific, though. A lot of 'when' type
deals. Do a KB search at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

-
> [...]

> (extremely few lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I
> have run MemTest86 (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has
> indicated that the RAM is perfectly functioning.
> ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure
> to use both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver,
> and asks you which one you would like to use), and I have made sure
> to use a signed driver (XP certified).
> ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
> ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1
> speakers. Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
>
> Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Sir Pudgie
July 13th 03, 05:13 AM
> I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
> standby (after 15 minutes) when I overclocked my system from 2.4GHz to
> 2.95GHz. If I told it to go to standby (start->turn off->standby) it would
> turn on fine, but automatic standby didn't work as well. I have now
> de-overclocked the system (all settings back to normal) and I'm still
> getting this problem. As I had overclocked it the second day I got my
> motherboard, I don't know if overclocking caused the problem or if it had
> existed prior to overclocking.

Have you tried reinstalling windows now the system is declocked? There is a
possibility that the first BSOD corrupted a system file that is now giving
you grief! ;-)

MiniDisc_2k2
July 13th 03, 03:17 PM
"Lyle Rhodes" > wrote in message
news:o%[email protected]
> I think it might be the sound card and/or driver... Try here for work
> around...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637
>

> "MiniDisc_2k2" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Also using WinXP Home SP1.
> >
> > > Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
> > > CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
> > > Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
> > > Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
> > > Primary Slave: None
> > > Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
> > > Secondary Slave: None
> > > Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
> > > LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
> > > COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
> > > COM2: None
> > > AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
> > > PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
> > > PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
> > > AGP 8x Port: Empty?
> > > PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
> > > PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
> > > PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
> > > PCI4: Empty
> > > PCI5: Empty
> > > Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
> > > Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme
> > >
> > > Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire
> > ports,
> > > but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do
> > > have any hardware which would require them.
> > >
> > > * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
> > > Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely
> few
> > > lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run
> MemTest86
> > > (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM
> is
> > > perfectly functioning.
> > > ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure
> > use
> > > both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks
> you
> > > which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
> > > driver (XP certified).
> > > ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
> > > ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1
> speakers.
> > > Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)
> > >
> > > --
> > > MiniDisc_2k2

"Cause: This behavior may occur if you are using a Creative Labs
SoundBlaster 16 Joystick with a game port. and the Ctljystk.sys, version
5.1.2501.0, joystick driver included with Windows XP is being used by the
device.. "

Don't have it, and my joystick's on USB, not game port.

"Workaround: 9. Right-click the Creative SoundBlaster Live (Value) device,
and then click Uninstall."

Not possible, as I do not have a Creative SoundBlaster card.

Strontium
July 13th 03, 07:28 PM
You're such a sport!

-
> [...]

>>> ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made
>>> sure to use both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C
>>> driver, and asks you which one you would like to use), and I have
>>> made sure
>>> to use a signed driver (XP certified).
>>> ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
>>> ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1
>>> speakers. Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)
>>
>> --
>> Strontium
>>
>> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
>> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

July 14th 03, 02:26 AM
Oh, by the way, what browser are you using that lets you customize your
message to say "MiniDisc_2k2 stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:" instead of
the customary "'MiniDisc_2k2 > wrote in message
news:[some wierd number @giganews.com]"?

Or did you just replace the message each time?

--
MiniDisc_2k2

"Strontium" > wrote in message
> You're such a sport!
>
> -
> MiniDisc_2k2 stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
>
> > Actually, if you had read my post, you would have noticed that I said
> > I tried that, but none of the solutions applied to my problem. Of
> > course, I said if you didn't read my post I really wouldn't care, so
> > I won't yell at you for it :-).
> >
> > "Strontium" > wrote in message
> >> Actually, just did a search on the first string, of that error code.
> >> Gave me some hits. They are very specific, though. A lot of 'when'
> >> type deals. Do a KB search at:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> >>

> >> -

> >> --
> >> Strontium
> >>
> >> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> >> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311
>
> --
> Strontium
>
> "Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
> clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Matt-The-Hoople
July 14th 03, 11:54 AM
In news:[email protected],
MiniDisc_2k2 > walked into the bar with a grape in each
nostril and said to the bartender:
:: Oh, by the way, what browser are you using that lets you customize
:: your message to say "MiniDisc_2k2 stood up, at show-n-tell, and
:: said:" instead of the customary "'MiniDisc_2k2 >
:: wrote in message news:[some wierd number @giganews.com]"?
::
:: Or did you just replace the message each time?

That is a freeware program called OE QuoteFix

--
-- Matt

remove your clothes to email me

"It is sort of fascinating that you can have 100 percent certainty
about weapons of mass destruction and zero certainty of about where
they are." - Hans Blix