PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Flashed GA-586DX with a GA-586-HX BIOS

Chris Kohn
July 10th 03, 05:51 PM
Hello!

Sorry for the crosspost, I wanted to make sure to reach a maximum of
potential readers who might be able to help me.

I just recently re-built an old system based on a GA-586DX board. Today
I wanted to flash the BIOS to get >30GB HDD support. I downloaded the
BIOS v3.43 from ZDNet and proceeded to flash.

AWDFLASH (AF786) proceeded to warn me about incompatibilities, but I
rechecked the download and thought it was OK, so I gave the warning no
heed.

Of course I should have, since I now have "Intel 430HX PCI BIOS for
Dual Pentium(tm) Processors V.3.43" on my system. I can get into the
BIOS just fine, IDE Auto-Detection also detects my 2,1GB HDD, during
booting it also detects my CD-ROM. CPU (Pentium-S 166 MHz). RAM (32MB)
and starts to initialize the PnP Cards (Soundblaster 16 PnP in my
case).

Then it just freezes. I thought I could get it to at least boot from
floppy, but it doesn't. Same when I try to boot from HDD or CD-ROM. I'm
really desperate, since it was still a great working, stable system,
able to run Win95 and Linux, and I would have had a lot of fun with it.

Can I do anything to repeair the damage I so stupidly did, or will I
have to change the EPROM housing the BIOS? Is it changeable anyway?

Somebody help me please,
Chris

Matt
July 11th 03, 02:40 AM
"Chris Kohn" > wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> Sorry for the crosspost, I wanted to make sure to reach a maximum of
> potential readers who might be able to help me.
>
> I just recently re-built an old system based on a GA-586DX board. Today
> I wanted to flash the BIOS to get >30GB HDD support. I downloaded the
> BIOS v3.43 from ZDNet and proceeded to flash.
>
> AWDFLASH (AF786) proceeded to warn me about incompatibilities, but I
> rechecked the download and thought it was OK, so I gave the warning no
> heed.
>
> Of course I should have, since I now have "Intel 430HX PCI BIOS for
> Dual Pentium(tm) Processors V.3.43" on my system. I can get into the
> BIOS just fine, IDE Auto-Detection also detects my 2,1GB HDD, during
> booting it also detects my CD-ROM. CPU (Pentium-S 166 MHz). RAM (32MB)
> and starts to initialize the PnP Cards (Soundblaster 16 PnP in my
> case).
>
> Then it just freezes. I thought I could get it to at least boot from
> floppy, but it doesn't. Same when I try to boot from HDD or CD-ROM. I'm
> really desperate, since it was still a great working, stable system,
> able to run Win95 and Linux, and I would have had a lot of fun with it.
>
> Can I do anything to repeair the damage I so stupidly did, or will I
> have to change the EPROM housing the BIOS? Is it changeable anyway?
>
> Somebody help me please,
> Chris

The EEPROM will need to be removed and reprogrammed in a programmer. There
is also hotswapping but that can only be done if your extremely careful and
have a similar motherboard. I am unsure if Gigabyte a mail in fix for bad
programmed EEPROMS but it's worth calling them to see if they will ship you
a preprogrammed EEPROM for your motherboard.

Matt.

Chris Kohn
July 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Matt > wrote:
> "Chris Kohn" > wrote in message
>> Hello!
>>
>> Sorry for the crosspost, I wanted to make sure to reach a maximum of
>> potential readers who might be able to help me.
>>
>> I just recently re-built an old system based on a GA-586DX board.
>> Today I wanted to flash the BIOS to get >30GB HDD support. I
>> downloaded the BIOS v3.43 from ZDNet and proceeded to flash.

> The EEPROM will need to be removed and reprogrammed in a programmer.
> There is also hotswapping but that can only be done if your extremely
> careful and have a similar motherboard. I am unsure if Gigabyte a
> mail in fix for bad programmed EEPROMS but it's worth calling them to
> see if they will ship you a preprogrammed EEPROM for your
motherboard.

> Matt.

Thanks, I fixed it myself, when removing all components and disabling
everything in BIOS and the floppy booted. I could flash everythign back
just alright.

Thanks, Chris

Kalle K.
September 14th 03, 07:39 PM
Chris Kohn wrote:

> Matt > wrote:
>
>>"Chris Kohn" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello!
>>>
>>>Sorry for the crosspost, I wanted to make sure to reach a maximum of
>>>potential readers who might be able to help me.
>>>
>>>I just recently re-built an old system based on a GA-586DX board.
>>>Today I wanted to flash the BIOS to get >30GB HDD support. I
>>>downloaded the BIOS v3.43 from ZDNet and proceeded to flash.
>

>>The EEPROM will need to be removed and reprogrammed in a programmer.
>>There is also hotswapping but that can only be done if your extremely
>>careful and have a similar motherboard. I am unsure if Gigabyte a
>>mail in fix for bad programmed EEPROMS but it's worth calling them to
>>see if they will ship you a preprogrammed EEPROM for your
>
> motherboard.
>
>>Matt.
>

> Thanks, I fixed it myself, when removing all components and disabling
> everything in BIOS and the floppy booted. I could flash everythign back
> just alright.
>
> Thanks, Chris

You got really lucky. :P I hope you realize that....